Does anyone else here just like... not care about vintage electric guitars?

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Does anyone else here just like... not care about vintage electric guitars?

Post by mackerelmint » Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:54 pm

Neck preferences vary, but poly FTW. And I agree wholeheartedly that the MIJ necks have a certain something special in terms of feel.
This is an excellent rectangle

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:19 am

JVG wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:27 pm
As a lefty, i don’t have a lot to choose from, which is why i got into assembling my own partscasters.
This is exactly how I got into partscasters and the idea of modding stuff. I don't regret it in the slightest.

Maggieo wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:18 pm
This is how I look at it- when, say, Jimi Hendrix made his records, his guitars were brand new or close to it.

We're living in a Golden Age of guitarmaking, and I'd put my Kelly or a Creston, or a Hahn, up against any vintage guitar for sound, playability, m@j@ :w00t: or anything.Actually, I think my Bowery Pine Teles are better than vintage Teles.
Completely agree! I feel like if I wanted to spend $1K-$3K on a guitar, I could get something absolutely fantastic. There are so many good builders out there.

soggy mittens wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:07 pm
I like to look at them but I don't think I've ever even considered them a realistic option. The cost is dumb and the worry of taking it to shows etc not worth the hassle. As far as sound and playability those can be achieved with non-vintage. It is weird I have a japanese jazzmaster that is 7.25 and is a bit aged but I prefer my heavily hot rodded 9.5 squier jazzmaster for feel and playability, and the sound is ten times better.
Same!

I think vintage are great to look at, and to be inspiring, but I've never really considered a vintage guitar. Mostly because I'm lefty and if I found a vintage JM, it wouldn't be a color I like, or something trivial like that. I like a lot of the weird vintage stuff (like all the crazy weird Italian guitars from the 1960s), but mostly the lefty thing is what keeps me from entertaining the idea very much. I really don't want to shell out that much money for a guitar, and personally I don't care for checked finishes. I prefer polyurethane finishes that I won't have to worry about. I like to play something without having to worry about it too much, and I enjoy modding things quite a bit too.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

garyptaszek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by garyptaszek » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:27 am

I’ve played a few vintage jags/jazzmasters and other vintage guitars, I have a friend with a bonkers collection of stuff. And I think they’re great guitars, the mojo is real. But if I ever got one I’d wanna change the pickups, have bigger frets, and all manner of other mods... seems like it’s not worth the money + ruining a vintage instruments resale value.

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:58 am

I had a bushel of refinished Jaguars. Some bits were special. A pickup on one stood out and a neck on a different one felt really great— but I ended up keeping my new Custom Shop Jaguar. [I have also played a magical vintage parts Strat.]

So, I get why some people get all excited about them, but yeah, I’m happy with new stuff and not having to fuss about destroying collectibility. I sort of think of it like a religion. Some people really buy into it while others do not.

terminalvertigo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by terminalvertigo » Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:43 pm

TIL: No one likes vintage guitars on this forum :unsure:
GoodDeals:Jaguar018-Skip-Scotty66-Noirengineer-Panoramic-Soundhack-Tribi9-Stereordinary-Dug-Ginnungagap-Loomer-Eupat-FenderBob-Franco-AWSchmit-PeterHerman-TweedleDee-Diceman-Prospect-Danocaster-Glimmertwin-Jetset-Staytuned-ukfuzz-Aen-Atomicmassunit-MT,etc

terminalvertigo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by terminalvertigo » Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:52 pm

Never felt about any new guitar the way i feel about something like this.
GoodDeals:Jaguar018-Skip-Scotty66-Noirengineer-Panoramic-Soundhack-Tribi9-Stereordinary-Dug-Ginnungagap-Loomer-Eupat-FenderBob-Franco-AWSchmit-PeterHerman-TweedleDee-Diceman-Prospect-Danocaster-Glimmertwin-Jetset-Staytuned-ukfuzz-Aen-Atomicmassunit-MT,etc