Off the beaten path NGD - 1966 Guild Starfire XII

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
Telliot
Mods
Mods

Re: Off the beaten path NGD - 1966 Guild Starfire XII

Post by Telliot » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:47 am

shadowplay wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:19 am
Class act and very 'you'! I never feel jealous but...I'm getting ghost tingles...so thanks for nothing pal!

D
:D :D

Cheers, David!
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

rbrcbr
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rbrcbr » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:26 pm

Congrats on the NGD! I've been eyeing a 12 recently and Guild has me hooked since picking up my '62 SFIII - these old 12s have been on my radar. Surprisingly they're still reasonably priced, but I've been concerned about the need for a neck reset. Glad it worked out for you! It looks great. I love the look of the 16th fret neck join before they moved it higher in '67.

Was just digging around google for black SFXIIs and found out that Hans, the Guild expert over at Letstalkguild, has a Black XII with factory Dearmonds :?

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:48 pm

Given that a 12 string (usually) has 12 tuners, it is often hard for a designer to get the headstock to look "cool". Leo obviously couldn't so he went for the "fucking weird" look, that we all have come to love over the past 50+ years. Ricks idea of up and down tuner positions just makes it almost impossible not to break a string because you keep adjusting the wrong tuner.

So I was quite interested when I heard Todd was getting this 12 string.
Looks damn good, love the headstock … normal but in the Guild style.
If you look at the guard on this 12 string it has a similar style to the guards on modern Duesenberg guitars, both have an Art Deco feel to them.
Love it.

Todd, you have had the guitar for a week or so now … is it a keeper (still) ?
relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:34 pm

sookwinder wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:48 pm
Absolutely. I’ve been playing it every spare moment I’ve had this week and the joy hasn’t worn off. Usually by now I’m starting to nitpick and wonder if I made the right decision. My JM, Hofner Club bass, and this Guild all have a similar magic quality to them that’s hard to describe other than they all felt ‘right’ in my hands from the moment I picked them up.

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:44 am

That's a beauty, Todd. Consider me jealous! I've been wanting a 12 string for most of the last decade. I'm still holding out for a 90s Dano 12, personally... But even they are getting up in price. I'd absolutely love a well-playing Guild 12.

Enjoy it, my friend! :)

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:44 pm

StevenO wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:44 am
Cheers, Steven! :-*

This might sound like a strange thing to say, but it’s such a nice feeling to not regret a purchase. I think you know what I mean.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:18 pm

Telliot wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:44 pm
StevenO wrote:

This might sound like a strange thing to say, but it’s such a nice feeling to not regret a purchase. I think you know what I mean.
OMG, BTDT. See:

Hahn 112, June 11, 2020 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

A fine guitar, once I sorted it out, but so much bad Mojo... :( :'( :fp:
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

rbrcbr
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rbrcbr » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:41 am

Telliot wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:34 pm
sookwinder wrote:
Absolutely. I’ve been playing it every spare moment I’ve had this week and the joy hasn’t worn off. Usually by now I’m starting to nitpick and wonder if I made the right decision. My JM, Hofner Club bass, and this Guild all have a similar magic quality to them that’s hard to describe other than they all felt ‘right’ in my hands from the moment I picked them up.
How's it treating you these days? I've been kicking around the idea of getting into an electric XII but the prices have skyrocketed and doing a custom build will likely run me as much as one of these. I've got my eyes on a black one I found but it's in Japan so i'm a little bit concerned about shipping a 55 year old guitar across the world. Probably won't go for it for a while, just curious on your opinion though. I know some people seem to prefer the stop tail bridge on the new models but it seems like you've really been enjoying this one.

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:50 pm

rbrcbr wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:41 am
Telliot wrote:
sookwinder wrote:
How's it treating you these days? I've been kicking around the idea of getting into an electric XII but the prices have skyrocketed and doing a custom build will likely run me as much as one of these. I've got my eyes on a black one I found but it's in Japan so i'm a little bit concerned about shipping a 55 year old guitar across the world. Probably won't go for it for a while, just curious on your opinion though. I know some people seem to prefer the stop tail bridge on the new models but it seems like you've really been enjoying this one.
I love it. Honestly, it's an amazing guitar and I'm really, really happy I bought it. I would highly recommend it, especially to anyone who knows and appreciates Guild guitars. I've been using it in the places where I'd normally use a regular electric 6 string, just to see if I like the result, and I'm really starting to like the tonal variety it provides beyond the typical 12-string palette. At first I was a little worried it would be too much of a 'niche' guitar, but so far it's much more than that (for me).

Fiddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fiddy » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:19 pm

Maggieo wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:18 pm
Telliot wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:44 pm
StevenO wrote:

OMG, BTDT. See:

Hahn 112, June 11, 2020 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

A fine guitar, once I sorted it out, but so much bad Mojo... :( :'( :fp:
That guitar looks like a crappy copy of a Japanese 60s guitar.. Great colour though.

:(

dezb1
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dezb1 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:12 am

That's a lovely looking instrument, hope you enjoy it.

alvinstraight
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by alvinstraight » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:55 am

Telliot wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:50 am
It looks as though I've finally found my forever electric 12-string.

Home:
Man, that looks like such a fun guitar!

Also, your studio space looks intriguing! Moog Prodigy and a Sequential something. Always interested in seeing how people have set things up. Got more photos?

rbrcbr
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rbrcbr » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:54 pm

Telliot wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:50 pm
rbrcbr wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:41 am
Telliot wrote:

I love it. Honestly, it's an amazing guitar and I'm really, really happy I bought it. I would highly recommend it, especially to anyone who knows and appreciates Guild guitars. I've been using it in the places where I'd normally use a regular electric 6 string, just to see if I like the result, and I'm really starting to like the tonal variety it provides beyond the typical 12-string palette. At first I was a little worried it would be too much of a 'niche' guitar, but so far it's much more than that (for me).
Awesome, glad to hear it. Seems like they're well worth it, though the prices seem to be climbing as well. I think my main concern, especially with this one being overseas, is the potential need for a neck reset. It's priced a bit high because it's a black one but still cheaper than anything comparable you could find. I think I'd really love to have one around but I gotta save for it first. Trying to break the habit of buying guitars with credit cards when I don't have the money :fp:

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:32 pm

rbrcbr wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:54 pm
I think I'd really love to have one around but I gotta save for it first. Trying to break the habit of buying guitars with credit cards when I don't have the money :fp:
I'm sure I haven't the foggiest idea what you mean! :D :unsure:

They seem pretty rare, for sure, but I imagine after Covid prices will start to settle down again. Or at least I hope! If you ever have any questions I can answer, please don't hesitate to reach out!

Maybe this won't help your GAS, but you might want to hear some sound examples of the guitar? Here are a couple songs I've recorded since buying the XII:
Hope You Get It

This one is more subtle, but aside from the fuzzy Tele in the outro, all the electric guitars are the Guild.
Away From The Sun

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:34 pm

Ha, I totally missed this one! What a fantastic guitar!

I have no experience with their electric 12s but, back when I had just finished restoring an old Eko 12 string acoustic I wandered into Wunjo Guitars on Denmark Street & noticed a brand new Guild 12 string acoustic hanging up.
It was a slightly bitter/sweet moment. It was a delight to play - lighter, more tonally balanced & surprisingly easy on the fingers. It also made me realise that the Eko was never going to compare and I'd always think back to the Guild. I sold the Eko a few months later.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.