NGD: Guild USA M-20

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Re: NGD: Guild USA M-20

Post by Maggieo » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:22 am

Another absolutely stunning guitar, Todd!

My next gear purge will go to finance a '60s Guild F-20. In sunburst.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:01 am

Maggieo wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:22 am
Another absolutely stunning guitar, Todd!

My next gear purge will go to finance a '60s Guild F-20. In sunburst.
Thanks, Maggie!

And yes, I fully support this endeavor.
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:30 am

I have played some Martin 15-series stuff, and for whatever reason I had the idea that the guitars sounded kind of dull and lifeless.

Then I recently played a dreadnaught 15 series Martin, and it was excellent sounding.

You really can't always tell all that much from playing a guitar in the store, or at least I can't. I'll keep an eye out for one of them Guilds.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:37 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:30 am
I have played some Martin 15-series stuff, and for whatever reason I had the idea that the guitars sounded kind of dull and lifeless.

Then I recently played a dreadnaught 15 series Martin, and it was excellent sounding.

You really can't always tell all that much from playing a guitar in the store, or at least I can't. I'll keep an eye out for one of them Guilds.
The thing that eased my mind, especially being on the other side of the pond, was consistency. I hear it all the time. OK, maybe it's not such a problem with Martin but Gibson acoustics are ridiculously hit & miss. I've played several early 60s Gibson acoustics that were just dead. Nothing about them warranted the crazy price tag (we're talking close to 2 grand). Guild, regardless of their hefty build characteristics, seem to be way more reliable (rather like the crazily laquered EKO Ranger boat anchors that started me off on this journey).
Gibsons are way rarer here than in the U.S so I guess the good ones stay with their owners & the duds end up in overpriced guitar shops. I guess it makes sense.
Last edited by PorkyPrimeCut on Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:53 pm

That's a great point. I've played loads of acoustic guitars in my lifetime, and I've found a good percentage of them to be just meh. Gibson and Martin are the most prominent in the acoustic world, and the former (I've found) to be ridiculously hit and miss. Martin is better in my estimation, but it could be I just played good examples. On the flip side every Guild acoustic I've played — regardless of the era — has been a joy to play. I don't know what it is, exactly, but they just seem to be consistently great guitars.
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:23 pm

Telliot wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:53 pm
That's a great point. I've played loads of acoustic guitars in my lifetime, and I've found a good percentage of them to be just meh. Gibson and Martin are the most prominent in the acoustic world, and the former (I've found) to be ridiculously hit and miss. Martin is better in my estimation, but it could be I just played good examples. On the flip side every Guild acoustic I've played — regardless of the era — has been a joy to play. I don't know what it is, exactly, but they just seem to be consistently great guitars.
Same experience here. I picked up an FM-20 (I think) at Lidgett's when I got the Esquire, and it played and sounded magnificent.

BTW Todd, the ribbon Mahogany on the back is just stunning! :-*
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:55 pm

Telliot wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:53 pm
Yeah. I am super picky as well. Agree 100% about Gibson.

I’m half assedly thinking about unloading some things to buy a nice modern acoustic, but it seems pointless in pandemic times because it will require a lot of in-person playing.