NGD: Squier Vista Series Venus (with a small dilemma)

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
kamillebidan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

NGD: Squier Vista Series Venus (with a small dilemma)

Post by kamillebidan » Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:03 pm

So I was not planning purchasing this one at all, I just happened to head over to a Guitar Center while hanging out with the GF, and then I found this! The price wasn't so bad (sub 1k after tax) compared to what I saw on Reverb and the neck was just so nice to play! Also binding, the weird quasi Strat headstock, and with such a comfortable guitar shape, I really love it.

The stock pickups are pretty great too, and I was surprised to see under the hood that the neck PU is alnico and not ceramic bars like a MIM Strat. The bridge HB is not bad, but kinda lacks power. It's pretty clear and almost jangly clean though, but not really what I want.

So I'm still going to change them, but nothing too radical like some of the mods I've seen online. Mainly due to not wanting to rout the guitar's neck PU cavity, and because I don't have a Strat at the moment but always loved a good Strat neck PU, so I may as well have this be my quasi-Strat. I also added a clear volume knob cause it looks cool. 8)

I've ordered a DiMarzio Air Zone for the bridge and a couple of different Strat neck pickups to test out since they are relatively cheap used and found some good deals:

- Kinman Impersonator 54 Neck V2 (older model)
- DiMarzio Virtual Vintage 54
- Buddha A5 Overwound
- G&L MFD S-500 (bought this new because why not)

I also got some spare parts on hand to upgrade the electronics (just waiting on a 500k linear pot), so I'll do that as well.

There is a bit of a dilemma though and I was wondering what you guys would think... See the guitar is...

...autographed by Steve Jones apparently.

I'm not really a big Sex Pistols fan, so it doesn't really mean much to me personally, but I kinda feel bad about removing the signature and message. I checked a couple of other examples of his signature and it looks pretty legit. I did some research and it seems like he resides in LA and if the May 2008 signing is to believed, the Pistols were rehearsing for the beginning of their last tour in May 2008 (first show was in Vegas in June, so it wouldn't be hard to believe they were rehearsing in LA).

So I'm not really sure what to do here, I guess in the spirit of "punk" it shouldn't matter and I should remove the signature because screw idolizing musicians (which I don't), but on the other hand it is part of the history of the guitar.

I have ordered a new pickguard in mint though, so this all might be a moot point. I don't plan on using any of the stock electronics too, so I can just de-solder the ground and leave it be. Still it would be nice to have the option to switch between the two.

So what would you guys do?

countertext
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD: Squier Vista Series Venus (with a small dilemma)

Post by countertext » Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:32 pm

I would go mint and keep the original in a safe place - not just for the signature, but also if you sell later, you’ll want as many original parts as possible.

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:02 pm

You could use a single coil sized humbucker like a hot rail or something. That way you get humbucker with no routing. :)
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

Jan Deal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jan Deal » Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:45 am

If you could get a black guard for this, it would look super cool.
Seas, Starry : Fuzz / Pop / Noises

"Gorgeous, soaring waves of guitars which feedback and squall deliriously with fluid and organic rhythms”

www.seasstarry.bandcamp.com

Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pacafeliz » Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:55 am

Well my last Venus does in fact have a rail pickup (humbucker I guess) in the neck. I will want a normal looking single in there, though.

As for the guard, yeah keep it and slap a new one on it. It might end up being worth something, or at least letting the guitar keep its original value.
Man I love these guitars, even though the neck is more chunky than I usually like.
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.

SignoftheDragon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SignoftheDragon » Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:45 pm

I had a Venus project a while back and was able to track down some very affordable replacement guards for it- I'd say do that, and keep the signed one in the case for when it's time to move it on - maybe for a million!

kamillebidan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kamillebidan » Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:55 pm

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

I decided to just remove the pickguard with the electronics and pickups intact, thanks to the simple control layout all I have to do is desolder the ground! I must say it is a bit refreshing to deal with such a wiring scheme when compared to my other guitars.

But I can't really move forward with the project until the new pickguard comes in, which will take about two weeks. There's also another guy in Greece who makes some cool metallic silver and gold guards for the Venus, so I think I might go with a Gold one just to have extra options. :) He has metallic brown/bronze too, maybe that would look interesting? I also ordered some cool Harmony style cupcake knobs.

While I wait, I'll be throwing the bone white pickup covers into hot tea to get them to match the DiMarzio Air Zone :) Very excited to share the results.

kamillebidan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kamillebidan » Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:57 pm

Pacafeliz wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:55 am

Well my last Venus does in fact have a rail pickup (humbucker I guess) in the neck. I will want a normal looking single in there, though.

As for the guard, yeah keep it and slap a new one on it. It might end up being worth something, or at least letting the guitar keep its original value.
Man I love these guitars, even though the neck is more chunky than I usually like.
Nice collection man! All you need is the surf green one! I'm kinda GASing for a XII model now... The neck surprised me too, it's just really comfortable and despite being a bit chunky it is still comfortable for my slightly smaller hands.

Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pacafeliz » Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:58 pm

...I do in fact have a surf green XII too :blush:

Anyway, sorry to interrupt, but remember folks, I'm always looking for a Venus BODY ONLY to replace the butchered white one. Keep yer eyes peeled an lemme know if you know of one please :-*
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.

tdksa90
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tdksa90 » Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:12 am

Every time I see a Venus on here, I regret selling my surf green back in 2001. It funded a Classic 50s Telecaster that I still own, but it’s a studio guitar now… I never play it. I may have to save my pennys for a black Venus.
My Music: https://keithhanlon.bandcamp.com/

kamillebidan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kamillebidan » Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:43 am

Got the mint guard! Totally changes the look IMO, way more classy looking. I tried the S-500 MFD, really loved it but it hummed pretty bad. Way more than my Tele's single coils which surprised me. I ended up going to my second choice, the DiMarzio Virtual Vintage 54 Pro on the neck, paired with the Air Zone humbucker. Sounds great! If I ever find another one, I'll go more crazy with the mods.