Help me figure out my ‘79 Partscaster…

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
Oig
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Help me figure out my ‘79 Partscaster…

Post by Oig » Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:05 pm

Hey y’alls. I picked this up in a trade during my extended hiatus from OSG. It’s a partscaster made from a 1979 neck, some other ‘79 bits, Lollars, and what is supposed to be a contemporary USA body.

It’s an absolute monster of a Strat, and ticks all the right boxes for me in sound, feel, and looks..but having pulled it apart, I’m not so sure the body is US made.

The neck checks out and looks legit (thanks to Fender’s pinpoint accurate serial # system, it can be dated anywhere from 1979 to 1981), and aside from a lacquer crack along one side of the skunk stripe, it’s in fantastic shape. The awesome thing about it is the profile - it’s totally unlike the big U shaped 70s necks. It still has some depth, but it feels slender and fast, and it’s easy on my injured fretting hand. I guess I’d call it a narrow, deep C. Obviously, it’s been drilled for 4 bolts. I’m not a 3-bolt hater but I’d rather have 4, so that’s fine with me. Plus it gives it a cool late 60s Hendrix Strat kinda vibe.

The 70s F-tuners were replaced with locking tuners that look almost exactly like Schaller M6s, but they’re unbranded. Any ideas? Whatever they are, they’re smooth, accurate and super stable. I filled the old holes with furniture repair wax for a reversible repair that’s almost invisible.

Pickups are Lollar Blackfaces, and they sound great. As far as I can tell, the string trees, wiring harness, and trem system are all vintage. And maybe the jack, but I haven’t pulled that out to check ;) I can’t tell when or where the weird 3 ply eight hole guard is from, but it has nice wear and patina so it’s staying.

And so, to the body. It’s awesome - light (no 70s Strat backache!), resonant, nice grain, and one of the nicest 3 tone bursts I’ve ever seen. But is it USA made?

It’s definitely a Fender lol, but when I went looking online I couldn’t see any mention of their Genuine Parts series being made in the U.S. - which is weird because I coulda sworn there WAS a U.S. line when they were first introduced. Anyways, the more I look at it, the more it looks like a Mexican made Classic 60s body. At a glance, the tooling seems the same. The serial number seems to point in that direction too. But some things are definitely different. For one, the trem cavity was sprayed (they don’t seem to be usually), and under the paint is a handwritten “60s SB E-commerce”. I’ve never seen a mass-production body earmarked for something specific, so I’m guessing it was for promotional use? Secondly, the tooling hole under the pickguard isn’t flat like most of the other Mexican bodies I’ve seen, it’s got that smaller round bottomed hole in it too. The paint is also much more vibrant than the other Mexican 3-tone bursts I’ve seen, including my Player series Strat, and there’s no red toner under the guard (none of this is a dis of the Mexi stuff - it’s freaking amazing what’s you can get for the money these days - just an observation lol). So, maybe a prototype before they actually launched the Genuine Parts range? Dunno. The plot thickens…

Ok….so that was a lot. Thoughts?

Couldn’t leave without a gratuitous shot lol.

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Re: Help me figure out my ‘79 Partscaster…

Post by OffYourFace » Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:43 pm

it could be an American Performer body? Otherwise MIM.

The tuners are probably Ping copies of Schaller locking tuners. I'm not sure.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:38 am

The writing in the vibrato rout at the back could have been added by anyone at any time.
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

d-rock
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by d-rock » Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:12 am

The placement of the bar code, CNC holes under the pickguard and neck pocket, and logo under the neck plate looks like a Made in Mexico replacement body to me.
Here's one from Reverb...

Oig
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Oig » Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:25 pm

johnnysomersett wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:38 am
The writing in the vibrato rout at the back could have been added by anyone at any time.
It’s under the lacquer. Coupled with the undisturbed etching under the neck plate, I’d say it’s a pretty strong indicator it came from the factory like that ;)
Last edited by Oig on Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oig
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Oig » Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:32 pm

d-rock wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:12 am
The placement of the bar code, CNC holes under the pickguard and neck pocket, and logo under the neck plate looks like a Made in Mexico replacement body to me.
Here's one from Reverb...
Totally. I also think it’s MIM, but not a regular factory run replacement. There are too many discrepancies: the paint in the trem route, the oddly shaped CNC hole under the guard (they’re usually flat bottomed) and the inscription under the lacquer. I’ve not seen those on any other replacement body.

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:40 pm

the neck pocket route is different from the one on Reverb. interesting.

Oig
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Oig » Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:51 pm

Yeah, you’re right. It’s got those exaggerated corner round overs. Check out the unfinished trem cavity I was talking about too.

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:23 pm

the current ones don't have that though..

body

Oig
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Oig » Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:26 pm

OffYourFace wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:23 pm
the current ones don't have that though..

body
Yeah, my best guess is that it’s an MIM prototype of some sort. I’m not complaining even though I got it so I’d have an “American” Strat again. It’s a great body (I love pretty much everything about it except the fact that it’s not U.S. made) and good wood doesn’t know borders, right? I probably got that from here somewhere lol.