What strat do I have?

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
shoegaze_head
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

What strat do I have?

Post by shoegaze_head » Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:22 am

Hey all, about a year ago I put my Squier CV Jag on facebook marketplace because I thought black was too edgy (I still regret doing this). It wasn't selling and an older gentleman asked if I wanted to come to his house and try out different guitars he would be interested in trading for it. Halfway expecting to wake up in a bathtub of ice with a kidney missing I went over and was given the choice between a walnut epiphone SG, a G&L ASAT, and this MIM strat here. I almost went with the SG because I really wanted to be Ian MacKaye, but decided on the start as I figured it would be easiest to sell so I could buy a different color jaguar (which never happened lol).

Well, I decided to let my buddy borrow it for a bit and now I am trying to sell it. Not sure if its where I live, just how facebook marketplace is, or something about me but it selling it has been a pain. I had someone want to trade me a AC15 for it but back down because he thought it was fake. I took off the neck and showed him the Fender Genuine Parts stamp on the heel but by then he had traded the amp to someone else. I had a kid offer me a tenth of the listing price and said "I know its low but can you do it?". He looked maybe 15 so I'm more amused than annoyed.

I was starting to think I should just take it to a shop or sell it to the next shmuck who offered me within 150 bucks of it. Today though someone offered me an American telecaster or a Dan Smith strat for it. This made me wonder if I have some rare item I'm undervaluing. The headstock says custom body which from what I've read means it was part of a "designed by custom shop" run that MIM fenders did but the pics I found online of those were either olympic white or sonic blue with no stripe. I've never seen a strat with a horizontal racing stripe though so perhaps the body is refin'd or not original. The serial number on the headstock is MX16801214. Can anyone help me learn anything more about this guitar? I really just want to sell it so I can get money for some builds I'm planning. If its something valuable I would want to get a good price for it but if it is not I would want to be honest with anyone trying to buy it.

Jonesie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: What strat do I have?

Post by Jonesie » Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:30 am

you've got a partscaster. That's not a Fender finish, bridge or pickups, and probably isn't a Fender body. You're going to take a hit on resale with that.

JVG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JVG » Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:22 pm

I agree. You’ve got a 2016 Mexican neck on who-knows-what kind of body - maybe a Warmoth or similar. From those pictures it looks to be reasonably well put together, and if it plays well, then it’s a good guitar.

shoegaze_head
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shoegaze_head » Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:48 pm

Alright thanks for telling me. I'll have to let the guy know

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:30 pm

Ouch. Probably worth more parted out (if you can deal with the hassle). Nothing wrong with those Mexican necks.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.