JUST ONE CORRNEETTOOOO (Sorry, I mean pickup, just one pickup)

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
SignoftheDragon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: JUST ONE CORRNEETTOOOO (Sorry, I mean pickup, just one pickup)

Post by SignoftheDragon » Tue May 02, 2023 9:46 am

I've had a few:

The Goldfinch was an all-around dud. Just disappointing in every way.

The JD is a great build, but I'd like it more if the pickup was made in the neck position. (Shoulda been a 2-pickup geet all along, JD.)

The Hondo Lazer is one i'd pick up again "for old times' sake" - had a lot of fun with mine before it was destroyed in the early '90s. Played it in a goth-punk 'eyeliner in the mosh-pit' kind of band that was a blast. Alas, the guitar basically sucked.

RobDux
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RobDux » Tue May 02, 2023 12:27 pm

X-Ray Spex wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 11:54 pm
RobDux wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:51 am
Turns out I'm about 10 years too young to remember that particular advert but I still remember it.... and I don't know why. Unless they brought it back some time in the mid-late nineties for when I was a young, properly sentient and impressionable child.

Anyway, here are my 3 single pickup guitars:
What's the headless on the right?
It's one I made nearly 10 years ago back when I was in uni. Depending on the weather, it's either playable or not. It's the least stable guitar I've ever owned but it's fun to play the 3 Thursdays a year the neck decides to have it's act together :D

tammyw
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tammyw » Sat May 06, 2023 2:31 am

Here's a junior double-cut tribute in a satin dark blue stain. One pickup, no frills. I honestly considered routing it and installing a neck pickup, but decided not to bother.

All pain and troubles melted away like lemon drops beyond the contrails across the sky.

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Wed May 17, 2023 12:52 pm

You magnificent single-pickup bastards motivated me to get another single-pickup guitar. I ended up going down a parts-build route (not much effort, tbh). I found a used, loaded Fender Noventa Telecaster body and bought a new Fender 50's Modified Esquire Telecaster Roasted Maple U-Shaped neck (MIM).

These necks do not come with tuners but the seller of this particular one provided a new set of staggered tuners at no extra cost. Trying it out without using a string tree and seems to be fine so far. The neck has some nice flamey-ness, too.

The body didn't come with a neck plate, so I ordered a Fender one from Darren Riley. Yes, it's a "Fender Corona, California" one. They didn't have the "F" logo one and I didn't want a blank one. When an "F" logo becomes available, I'll get it to swap this one out and put this "Fender Corona, California" plate on a proper US Fender guitar.

The stock P90 pickup is alright. I might upgrade it to a noiseless aftermarket one down the road. Playing with the volume and tone knobs allows me to go from dark to bright tones as well as a pleasant in-between tone. It's all here. Anyone else have a Noventa Tele? 8)

The doofus formerly known as Snorre...

Jonesie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jonesie » Wed May 17, 2023 3:41 pm

Surfysonic wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 12:52 pm
You magnificent single-pickup bastards motivated me to get another single-pickup guitar. I ended up going down a parts-build route (not much effort, tbh). I found a used, loaded Fender Noventa Telecaster body and bought a new Fender 50's Modified Esquire Telecaster Roasted Maple U-Shaped neck (MIM).

These necks do not come with tuners but the seller of this particular one provided a new set of staggered tuners at no extra cost. Trying it out without using a string tree and seems to be fine so far. The neck has some nice flamey-ness, too.

The body didn't come with a neck plate, so I ordered a Fender one from Darren Riley. Yes, it's a "Fender Corona, California" one. They didn't have the "F" logo one and I didn't want a blank one. When an "F" logo becomes available, I'll get it to swap this one out and put this "Fender Corona, California" plate on a proper US Fender guitar.

The stock P90 pickup is alright. I might upgrade it to a noiseless aftermarket one down the road. Playing with the volume and tone knobs allows me to go from dark to bright tones as well as a pleasant in-between tone. It's all here. Anyone else have a Noventa Tele? 8)
I've been kinda half-GASing for one of those since they came out. I don't have anything with P90s and I'm certain that the price on those is going to skyrocket once they're discontinued.

DaddyDom
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DaddyDom » Wed May 17, 2023 8:55 pm

I bought this in the late-'90s because two pals in a music store ran out to a phone booth and called me to say, if I didn't buy it, they would. It was pretty cheap, too. Life was different before mobiles, huh!?

It's a 1989 special order with pearl inlaid logo, Grovers and an ebony fingerboard. It was my main squeeze for a number of years in a band I led, called Smoothy.
It was my first my songs/my leads situation and I had recently been liberated by Neil Young's "Live Rust". It was like he said to me, hey, if I can do it, why not you?

I love posting pictures of it so the wraparound-tailpiece guys can get red-faced. Where I live, we don't have original double-cuts growing on trees like they all do.
Apart from the righteous sound and awesome playability, what I love so much about it is the controls. They work so well that it's the most versatile guitar I own.
(The amp I found on the street-corner.)

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Wed May 17, 2023 10:11 pm

DaddyDom wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 8:55 pm
I bought this in the late-'90s because two pals in a music store ran out to a phone booth and called me to say, if I didn't buy it, they would. It was pretty cheap, too. Life was different before mobiles, huh!?

It's a 1989 special order with pearl inlaid logo, Grovers and an ebony fingerboard. It was my main squeeze for a number of years in a band I led, called Smoothy.
It was my first my songs/my leads situation and I had recently been liberated by Neil Young's "Live Rust". It was like he said to me, hey, if I can do it, why not you?

I love posting pictures of it so the wraparound-tailpiece guys can get red-faced. Where I live, we don't have original double-cuts growing on trees like they all do.
Apart from the righteous sound and awesome playability, what I love so much about it is the controls. They work so well that it's the most versatile guitar I own.
(The amp I found on the street-corner.)

This guitar/amp situation is most excellent.

F15hface
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by F15hface » Thu May 18, 2023 12:23 am

GuitarBuild body, VM neck, JB4, one badly wired volume. It’s a trashy little rocker and I love it.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Thu May 18, 2023 2:38 am

That is my kind of guitar.
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Thu May 18, 2023 1:02 pm

Kind of a dream Bass here… from czech builder Red Bird:

DaddyDom
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DaddyDom » Thu May 18, 2023 1:10 pm

Here's my other single p/u, an Esquire I put together during lockdowns. It's called Bennie.
(When did I start naming instruments??)

I'd been fixating for a while on a birth-year 1963 Esquire but then remembered I'm a musician and don't have a spare $XXk. Fender weren't making anything like it so I did.
The body and neck were lightly-aged from Dutch Relics and the hardware was a mix of semi-aged, over-aged and new. So I had to knock back some of the comedy aging and make everything look harmonious, and that was fun!

The pickup is a split-coil Cavalier so full wind on one switch--position and half on another. The third is unused.
I mainly use the weaker setting as it sounds more authentic to my ears. With full-wind, I roll off the tone for something heavier, darker, a little more humbuckery, perhaps?
I love the ashtray, I play with it on. This is my main guitar these days.

The case is special, an old fibre 'thermometer' type that came with another guitar, a late-'90s Chinese Duo-Sonic I bought for my students. (In fact, I bought the guitar for this case!) I decorated the case with some cool '60s/'70s bumper-stickers I had and some I got online.

I ordered a neck-plate with my birthdate as the s/n (L25263) which actually made it a 1964 model but I'm not worried about that.
The beaded strap is a Ralph Lauren Polo handbag accessory I repurposed. :w00t:
Sixty-five blackface Champ - model's own.

Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pacafeliz » Fri May 19, 2023 8:04 am

I think this is only my 2nd or 3rd NGD this year so far ::)

i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Fri May 19, 2023 8:08 am

Pacafeliz wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 8:04 am
I think this is only my 2nd or 3rd NGD this year so far ::)

Needs a DiMarzio SD in there, stat.
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pacafeliz » Fri May 19, 2023 8:40 am

sal paradise wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 8:08 am

Needs a DiMarzio SD in there, stat.
;D good point but geez this VistaTone one is glorious!!! And splittable too :-*
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Fri May 19, 2023 11:18 am

Don't change a single thing about that Musicmaster, it's absolutely perfect as-is.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.