Left handed Telecaster Deluxe - ideas please

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Left handed Telecaster Deluxe - ideas please

Post by sal paradise » Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:46 pm

So this has been the slowest ever project I’ve worked on. But that’s ok. I’m not even sure the body finish has started, not heard anything for a few weeks.

I finally collected the neck yesterday! A local luthier ordered it for me at cost price, which was awesome of him. Considering this was literally the only 70s style Strat neck I could find in the UK, I got really lucky. It’s a slim c & the nut is my kind of size. MIJ, poly finish which is a bit thick. Feels well-made and it’s got some nice grain.

The only problem I’m faced with is the amount of work I’ll need to do myself to a good standard. I’ve never fitted a nut before, and want to make sure I drill the neck (& body) properly, not a rush job like I’d normally do. Planning to buy a pre-made wiring loom so that will take care of a lot of risk around guitar functioning properly.

Wondering whether or not to put a logo on the headstock. Not sure how that’s done over poly?

Anyway, some photos. And I’ll leave everyone waiting two more months to show the neck plate & bridge I’ve bought :D

I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

garyptaszek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by garyptaszek » Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:31 am

MatthewK wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:13 pm
Black guard is pretty nice on natural or walnut finish
Another +1 for the natural finish. Always had a soft spot for these. I’ve got Creamery Extra width wide range pickups in mine but that’s a long old wait these days.

Here’s my fav natural Tele Deluxe (not mine tho)

JVG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JVG » Thu Aug 24, 2023 5:55 am

Great to see this coming along!

Those Allparts CBS necks are great, and about the most vintage-accurate on the market (for what that’s worth).

I strongly recommend using a drill press to drill the neck mounting holes. Also, if it’s your first venture into fitting a nut, maybe get a spare in case you file the slots too deep the first time. I learnt that the hard way.

As for a decal, if you scuff the headstock face with wet and dry paper (around 600-800 grade), put the decal on then spray the face, it will come up a treat. You can put nitro over poly without drama provided its not going onto a glossy surface.

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:23 pm

JVG wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 5:55 am
Great to see this coming along!

Those Allparts CBS necks are great, and about the most vintage-accurate on the market (for what that’s worth).

I strongly recommend using a drill press to drill the neck mounting holes. Also, if it’s your first venture into fitting a nut, maybe get a spare in case you file the slots too deep the first time. I learnt that the hard way.

As for a decal, if you scuff the headstock face with wet and dry paper (around 600-800 grade), put the decal on then spray the face, it will come up a treat. You can put nitro over poly without drama provided its not going onto a glossy surface.
Thanks for the tips, really helpful :)

There’s a local Remakery place that might have a drill press, that’s a great idea. Only ever drilled tuner holes before, never mounting ones.

For the nut, I was looking at this. Would that fit? Will save me a lot of bother if I can use a pre-cut one.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:58 pm

sal paradise wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:23 pm
For the nut, I was looking at this. Would that fit? Will save me a lot of bother if I can use a pre-cut one.
I've never had a premade nut fit perfectly on installation, there's always a little tweaking to do to get it in properly, and then you need to do the slots to setup your action etc. It certainly helps a lot to have the string spacing set and ready though.
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:46 am

Progress has really shifted up a notch. Got a bridge, witch hats, strap buttons & ferrules on their way.

Decided to go to my local luthier for nut fitting & setup once it’s all built. So we’re pretty much ready for assembly. Although I do have a feeling I’m forgetting something…

garyptaszek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by garyptaszek » Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:28 am

sal paradise wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:46 am
Progress has really shifted up a notch. Got a bridge, witch hats, strap buttons & ferrules on their way.

Decided to go to my local luthier for nut fitting & setup once it’s all built. So we’re pretty much ready for assembly. Although I do have a feeling I’m forgetting something…

glad its coming along! Definitely the right choice to get the nut cut professionally, makes the word of difference.
I always wanted a Deluxe but I don't like all the controls, and the look weird with all that pickguard with nothing on it.
That's why I put this together.

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:01 am

garyptaszek wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:28 am
glad its coming along! Definitely the right choice to get the nut cut professionally, makes the word of difference.
I always wanted a Deluxe but I don't like all the controls, and the look weird with all that pickguard with nothing on it.
That's why I put this together.
That’s lovely :-* what colour is that? As you can see on page one I was flirting with blues & greys. Maybe I should have gone with sonic grey… anyway, I don’t even think the finisher has started sealing the body yet :fp:

I know I’m cheating loads with this guitar: pre-made loom & paying for nut fit & setup. But I kinda want this guitar to be a keeper, not a project I mess up & hate looking at. Drilling the neck, popping decal on & fitting the electrics is more than enough for me to feel like I’ve put something into it.
Last edited by sal paradise on Mon Sep 11, 2023 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

garyptaszek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by garyptaszek » Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:15 am

Thanks, it’s a kind of ages IBM that Rexter shot for me a while back.
No shame in getting pre-made parts. I’d rather pay someone to do nut and fret work so it’s right first of all. It can make or break a guitar.

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Mon Sep 11, 2023 2:35 pm

That ^ is lovely indeed. Too many knobs has always been my biggest problem with the Deluxe. Great solution!
Doug
@dpcannafax

garyptaszek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by garyptaszek » Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:26 pm

ThePearDream wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 2:35 pm
That ^ is lovely indeed. Too many knobs has always been my biggest problem with the Deluxe. Great solution!
Thanks. It wasn’t something they had available at the time, but every now and then I see them pop up in emails from guitarbuild.co.uk … cheeky buggers.
I like the thinline too but I didn’t want to risk feedback etc, plus I wanted a tummy cut.

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Tue Sep 12, 2023 5:47 am

garyptaszek wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:26 pm
ThePearDream wrote:
Thanks. It wasn’t something they had available at the time, but every now and then I see them pop up in emails from guitarbuild.co.uk … cheeky buggers.
I like the thinline too but I didn’t want to risk feedback etc, plus I wanted a tummy cut.
A tummy cut too? Even better. That fixes the next biggest problem with Deluxes. IBM is probably a top 5 vintage color for me too. Again, great guitar!
Doug
@dpcannafax

garyptaszek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by garyptaszek » Tue Sep 12, 2023 5:53 am

ThePearDream wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 5:47 am
garyptaszek wrote:
ThePearDream wrote:
A tummy cut too? Even better. That fixes the next biggest problem with Deluxes. IBM is probably a top 5 vintage color for me too. Again, great guitar!
Correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought Deluxes had tummy cuts, but customs do not.

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Tue Sep 12, 2023 6:01 am

garyptaszek wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 5:53 am
ThePearDream wrote:
garyptaszek wrote:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought Deluxes had tummy cuts, but customs do not.
Well gosh, I've always just assumed they didn't have them :-[. Sadly, I completely dismissed teles for a long time, mainly due to the sharp, pokey edges. I still don't get on with them, but love the pickups.
Doug
@dpcannafax

garyptaszek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by garyptaszek » Tue Sep 12, 2023 6:07 am

ThePearDream wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 6:01 am
garyptaszek wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 5:53 am
ThePearDream wrote:

Well gosh, I've always just assumed they didn't have them :-[. Sadly, I completely dismissed teles for a long time, mainly due to the sharp, pokey edges. I still don't get on with them, but love the pickups.
Understandable. Arm contours just look so wrong on teles tho. Tummy cuts do help make them more comfortable tho.