NGD - Guyatone LG-20

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

NGD - Guyatone LG-20

Post by Mechanical Birds » Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:47 pm

I’ve wanted one of these since I first saw one. I bought another one last year that needed a ton of work so it’s just sitting currently, but this one came out of the box ready to play and feels and sounds really good. The seller told me he was sending a trem arm with it (and I didn’t even have to ask!) but it turns out to be a (probably cheap import) Strat screw-in thing that isn’t gonna work.

I like it a lot as is, but I use the trem a lot so I’m debating whether to just buy a Mastery for it so I never have to worry about it again. The trem on this one seems pretty cheap and awkward. No idea what the trem cavity looks like either so unless someone reading this knows (please share if so!) I’ll have to take it apart and see if the route will even work with the Mastery.

If anybody’s modded one of these and can shed some light, though, I’d really appreciate it! Same goes for what kind of arm I might look for to use with the thing that’s on it. I owned a Hi Flier with that thing but never had an arm to actually use it.

Last edited by Mechanical Birds on Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD - Guyatone LG-20

Post by BoringPostcards » Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:41 am

That’s awesome. Good score. I know I’ve seen one of these before, but can’t think of what band or artist used one.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:10 am

I'm wondering if there's any chance a Staytrem arm and collet would fit in there. The tremolo looks like a close relation - or at least distant cousin - of the '60s Yamaha one, so maybe an arm from one of those, or its Teisco/Kawai/etc. vague lookalikes would drop in.

Cheapest solution could be one from an Allparts JM/Jag trem assembly...?

Salfaromeab
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Salfaromeab » Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:34 am

Very nice, reminds me of some of the old Elk guitars! Lovely colour.

I'd be willing to be the vibrato is the same unit found in old Univox Hi Fliers, which I think aren't too difficult to find repro arms for.

This should do the trick if they're the same unit.
Through the tallest wave, into outer space.

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:55 pm

Salfaromeab wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:34 am
Very nice, reminds me of some of the old Elk guitars! Lovely colour.

I'd be willing to be the vibrato is the same unit found in old Univox Hi Fliers, which I think aren't too difficult to find repro arms for.

This should do the trick if they're the same unit.
Yeah, it’s 100% that same exact trem. I’m going to take it apart and see how high maintenance it might be to just use a collet from a Squier thing I have. I know thread sizes back then on MIJ guitars varied wildly and some of them straight up don’t exist now so hopefully I can get it sorted. Gonna see how that goes and take it from there. The route is a square, similar to what you’d see on a Jaguar or Jazzmaster but without the little lock route on the neck side of the route. I think a Mastery would work but I’m gonna see what happens with cheaper methods first.

Anyway, I love this guitar. I was anxious because the frets are low and it’s old and immediately I noticed that someone had replaced the pickup adjustment screws with fatter and stupider wood screws for some reason, so it’ll take a little work to get it road ready, but in terms of how it plays and looks and sounds, so far, it’s a keeper.

Fiddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fiddy » Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:13 pm

Nice, the bridge is on backwards though.