Re: Kirk Hammett's Stratocaster on the cover of GW Oct. 2006

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
RATM
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Kirk Hammett's Stratocaster on the cover of GW Oct. 2006

Post by RATM » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:50 pm

I want to refinish a guitar on my own just as a project, my plan was to buy a cheap Squiier strat, so that if I screw it up it's only $150 down the drain. I love Kirk Hammett's Strat on the cover of the October 2006 issue of Guitar Word and wouldn't mind painting it that colour. It looks like Sea Foam green to me, but I could be sorrily mistaken. The pickguard is also green but doesn't look Mint to me, any thoughts?

The cover:
http://blogs.guitarworld.com/covers/cov ... me=298.jpg

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:20 pm

I have that issue.  I bet that guitar's a prop that belongs to the magazine or something.  Why would he own a Strat?  The headstock isn't pointy enough. 
Damn kids, get off my lawn!

dug
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dug » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:24 pm

RumorsOFsurF wrote: I have that issue.  I bet that guitar's a prop that belongs to the magazine or something.  Why would he own a Strat?  The headstock isn't pointy enough. 
Dude, you obviously don't know anything about Metallica so go play you're Billy Ray Cyrus covers some wheres else.  ;)

On load and Re load they used alot of strats and telecasters. And they use Les Pauls quite a bit.
They do like the pointy guitars because they play the metals, but that's not all they use.

blueavenger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by blueavenger » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:48 pm

RATM wrote: I want to refinish a guitar on my own just as a project, my plan was to buy a cheap Squiier strat, so that if I screw it up it's only $150 down the drain. I love Kirk Hammett's Strat on the cover of the October 2006 issue of Guitar Word and wouldn't mind painting it that colour. It looks like Sea Foam green to me, but I could be sorrily mistaken. The pickguard is also green but doesn't look Mint to me, any thoughts?

The cover:
Hell look how green Kirk looks in that pic!  It's probably photoshoped Oly white! I'm absolutely serious!
May God bless the Banjo Players... They try so hard...

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:25 pm

dug wrote:
RumorsOFsurF wrote: I have that issue.  I bet that guitar's a prop that belongs to the magazine or something.  Why would he own a Strat?  The headstock isn't pointy enough. 
Dude, you obviously don't know anything about Metallica so go play you're Billy Ray Cyrus covers some wheres else.  ;)

On load and Re load they used alot of strats and telecasters. And they use Les Pauls quite a bit.
They do like the pointy guitars because they play the metals, but that's not all they use.

I don't know anything about Metallica, because I fucking hate them.

aen
Expat
Expat

Post by aen » Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:31 pm

Dudes, on that Some kin dof MOnster thing, there was like 13 telecasters in their studio.  LIke, more teles than pointys, or gibsons or (shudder) Schecters.
I prefer their older stuff.

RATM
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by RATM » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:44 pm

blueavenger wrote:
RATM wrote: I want to refinish a guitar on my own just as a project, my plan was to buy a cheap Squiier strat, so that if I screw it up it's only $150 down the drain. I love Kirk Hammett's Strat on the cover of the October 2006 issue of Guitar Word and wouldn't mind painting it that colour. It looks like Sea Foam green to me, but I could be sorrily mistaken. The pickguard is also green but doesn't look Mint to me, any thoughts?

The cover:
Hell look how green Kirk looks in that pic!  It's probably photoshoped Oly white! I'm absolutely serious!
I doubt it's Oly white, but the picture does look greenish, it could be seafoam or surf green with a greenish tinge, still that pickguard doesn't look mint to me. Dug, is the guitar in your pic the same one? I'm no crazy Metallica fan, (although I do like them) I just like the finish.

spacecadet
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by spacecadet » Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:11 pm

Somewhat more naturally color balanced:

I'm pretty sure the pickguard is mint.  I've seen mint guards that look like that; the real vintage ones get that heavy yellow-green color sometimes, and I'm pretty sure I've even seen reissues hanging at my local Sam Ash that look like that too.  I've said in other threads that I actually don't like how the vintage ones can get to look like puke after a while.  But on a green finish, it doesn't look that bad.

As for the finish itself, you got me.  I dunno what that is.  It is green, though, not white - though it could have started out as blue or some other color, or it could be just a custom refin.

blueavenger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by blueavenger » Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:37 pm

spacecadet wrote: Somewhat more naturally color balanced:

As for the finish itself, you got me.  I dunno what that is.  It is green, though, not white - though it could have started out as blue or some other color, or it could be just a custom refin.
I thought it could have banana puddin' Oly white, and would still think it's a possibility color wise but on second review the heavy checking argues against a poly finish.  You'll note in the picture his hands were normal, his face a little green, and the guitar REALLY green.  The tinting favored the guitar side of the picture going from none, heavy left to right.  If all you did was fix his face to normal, you still need to drop a ton of green on the guitar to solve the riddle.  And I'd love to know the real answer.
May God bless the Banjo Players... They try so hard...

dug
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dug » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:11 am

RumorsOFsurF wrote:
dug wrote:

I don't know anything about Metallica, because I fucking hate them.
Aw come on, give them a chance.

RATM
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by RATM » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:45 am

blueavenger wrote:
spacecadet wrote: Somewhat more naturally color balanced:

I thought it could have banana puddin' Oly white, and would still think it's a possibility color wise but on second review the heavy checking argues against a poly finish.  You'll note in the picture his hands were normal, his face a little green, and the guitar REALLY green.  The tinting favored the guitar side of the picture going from none, heavy left to right.  If all you did was fix his face to normal, you still need to drop a ton of green on the guitar to solve the riddle.  And I'd love to know the real answer.
Check the knobs and pickups though, the knobs now look cream and the pickups look white, it seems as though it sould be balanced now.

dug
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dug » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:47 am

It might be the guitar in the picture I posted.

I've seen him and that guitar several times.

spacecadet
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by spacecadet » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:50 am

blueavenger wrote: If all you did was fix his face to normal, you still need to drop a ton of green on the guitar to solve the riddle.  And I'd love to know the real answer.
Nope, I balanced for the guitar - and I balanced the whole photo, not just part of it.  That is most likely the color of the guitar, more or less.  I started out just removing some green, then I added some blue and red to the highlights and de-saturated a bit.  Once I saw that the flesh tone looked at least somewhat natural (given what I know Kirk really looks like) and the pickup covers and trem tip looked white, then I just made a few more minor tweaks but nothing that really affected the overall color.

Of course, it looks a little different on my monitor at work than it did at home, but not so dramatically that the guitar's a whole different color.  I'm pretty confident in the guitar being that color.

There is a chance that they actually colored in the guitar using Photoshop or something, but I would doubt it - why would they do that?  Just so people like us can sit here debating whether or not that's a real color?  That green is coming from somewhere and it's not lighting (since it only affects the body), so it's either just outright Photoshop manipulation or it's a green guitar.

RATM
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by RATM » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:02 am

dug wrote: It might be the guitar in the picture I posted.

I've seen him and that guitar several times.
That looks to me as though it's Surf Green with a mint guard. It looks kind of aged, if that pic was taken before Oct. 2006 it's probably not the same, however it is close.
spacecadet wrote: There is a chance that they actually colored in the guitar using Photoshop or something, but I would doubt it - why would they do that?  Just so people like us can sit here debating whether or not that's a real color?  That green is coming from somewhere and it's not lighting (since it only affects the body), so it's either just outright Photoshop manipulation or it's a green guitar.
Either way if it's a green guitar or photoshop project the final result doesn't seem to be a Fender color.

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:40 am

That pic represents the color very well.  Like I said, I have that issue of Guitar World, and the guitar is an odd color.