Re: I love Travis Beans

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

I love Travis Beans

Post by i love sharin foo » Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:17 pm

Does anyone else out there own one or like them?

I wanted one for a long time, but just had a chance to get one last year. It is a '79 TB1000 Standard. The sustain is really nice and overall it has a super distinct sound. I'm  generally not a big fan of humbucking pickups, but these are absolutely the best I have ever heard. It sounds HUGE, but is still super articulate at all settings. The aluminum really adds something special to the note's attack, which is probably why it is so articulate. Since this one is one of the last few made, it has the thinner body (which is magnolia, which isn't as common as the koa) and an Imron coated neck (the coating was an option later on). I would love to buy a TB1000A sometime if I have the opportunity. Here are a couple photos of mine:

Justin
A death’s head ring upon his finger

Naturality
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Naturality » Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:47 pm

Never played one but Sonic Youth seem to like 'em and they look super cool :D

mjet
Expat
Expat

Post by mjet » Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:14 pm

Steve Albini is the most well-known player that I can think of who plays these. And he knows a thing or two about getting sounds out of equipment.  ;)

"You eventually learn that true priorities are like arms; if you think you have more than a couple, you're either lying or crazy."

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:06 pm

Albini is the man! I have a copy of Songs About Fucking in my record player right now. Efrim from Godspeed You Black Emperor and A Silver Mount Zion Memorial Orchestra and Trala La Band was using one for a while. I'm not sure if he still is though. You can't forget about Jerry Garcia and Lee Ranaldo either  :)

Justin

Ursoluno
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ursoluno » Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:20 pm

I had my eye on one of these a while ago on Ebay.  It was a black model, actually - one of the rarer ones.

I won the auction with a bid of $1800.00 or so.  The seller had the reserve set around $2500.00.

No dice.

Stephen O'Malley of Sunn0))) and (the now defunct) Khanate plays one.  I believe Duane Denison used one, too.
...purple attics, purple helixes, vacuum cleaners, and cement.

rabidhamster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rabidhamster » Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:38 pm

you crooked bastards and your gas-enabling.  I want a travis bean so bad!!!! >:(

flatfiver
Expat
Expat

Post by flatfiver » Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:03 pm

I'm fascinated by Beans, but I don't know if I'd actually like one.  It's kind of the same thing with the Dan Armstrong Plexi guitars.

A guy came in my store last week with a Vaccaro - more along the lines of the old Kramer aluminum-neck guitars, but cool nonetheless.  A little more traditional than a Bean but it still had a really distinct sound.

There's a place here in town that carries Electrical Guitars.  Not sure if they have any currently, but I've been meaning to go and check it out.
Zen & the Art of Jazzmaster Maintenance

flatfiver
Expat
Expat

Post by flatfiver » Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:06 pm

...and having stated all that, look what I find!

http://www.electricalguitarcompany.com/ ... uitar.html

P.S. sorry to hijack with related but not actual Travis Bean stuff.
Last edited by flatfiver on Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zen & the Art of Jazzmaster Maintenance

burker
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by burker » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:42 am

Yeah I really like travis beans aswell,

Ive never owned one though, but I did just get my Electrical custom wedge, and I'm loving that (dont tell my offsets but it may be my new #1 guitar.....)

chrisjedijane
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by chrisjedijane » Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:13 am

i really like the look of those Travis Beans - I'd love to get the same one that albini plays, the shape looks really great.
"we lack the motion to move to the new beat"

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:40 am

chrisjedijane wrote: i really like the look of those Travis Beans - I'd love to get the same one that albini plays, the shape looks really great.
The one he is holding in the photo above? That one is a TB500 which was one of the later models. They didn't make many of them before closing up shop, so they tend to sell for quite a bit  :(

Justin

chrisjedijane
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by chrisjedijane » Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:45 am

aw no :(
"we lack the motion to move to the new beat"

mjet
Expat
Expat

Post by mjet » Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:21 pm

Some of the old Kramers have a somewhat similar profile - here's a DMZ3000.

"You eventually learn that true priorities are like arms; if you think you have more than a couple, you're either lying or crazy."

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:52 pm

I like a lot of the Kramers too! gary Kramer started out as Travis Bean's partner and then split off a bit later to take things in his own direction. Though I haven't played or owned a Kramer, I've heard great things about the aluminum neck models.

Here is a little rundown of the different Bean models (taken from Travisbeanguitars.com):

The Travis Bean factory made 4 primary models.

TB1000S or Standard was the first production guitar to come out of the factory. They had different stages of production throughout the life of the company. Came equipped with humbucking pickups with Alnico magnets. 1422 Standards were produced.

TB500 was to be the "budget" model compared to the 1000S. They equipped these axes with single coil pick-ups and had a "strat" type body. These guitars are often, ironically, the Holy Grail of Travis Bean guitars. They have a very aggressive bite to their tone. Steve Albini (Big Black, Rapeman, Shellac) can be seen swingin' this bad boy. 351 guitars were produced.

TB1000A or Artist was to be the "uptown" model of the 1000S. Same humbucking pickups, but with a carved top, and block inlays in the neck. 755 Artists were produced.

TB2000 was the standard bass. Made with Koa wood bodies. The basses have bright woody tone, that seem to cut through the mix easily. There were special models of these made, including short scale necks and fretless versions. 1020 TB2000 were produced.

TB3000 was Bean's answer to the Gibson Flying V. The TB3000 was the wedge model. Very futuristic design... always reminded me of a Camero's hood, there were only 45 wedge guitar produced.

TB4000 is the wedge version for the Bass. Even fewer were made: 36.

Travis Bean guitars produced units from 1974 to 1979. Mr. Bean began development on new guitars... but there has been no further mention of this to date.

Justin

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:15 pm

Mr. Bean began development on new guitars
That goofy British guy makes guitars!!!!?  :o
Q. Are we not men?