I miss my Gretsches

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

I miss my Gretsches

Post by i love sharin foo » Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:29 pm

I like Gretsch hollowbodies a lot. I've had a couple, but sold them to fund other things. I love HiLo tron pickups probably as much as Jazzmaster pickups. SOmeday I want to buy another, probably another early '60s Double Anniversary. Here are photos of the ones I had:

'64 Double Anniversary in two tone green.

'68 Streamliner, which was essentially the Monkees model with a few changes. It was all original except for the Bigsby and Broadkaster guard.

I miss them both  :(

Justin
The whispers cut like hard rain, Like sugar in a hurricane

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Re: I miss my Gretsches

Post by mezcalhead » Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:28 am

I've never had a Gretsch, but always liked the sound. Very distinctive look too. I've heard the old ones can be very hit or miss, which has put me off buying one unseen .. and you never see them around here, but if I could find a decent old Gretsch I'd probably snap it up.

I especially like the look of that Streamliner .. I think some of the Gretsches would be a bit too big and unwieldy for me, but that looks just right.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

jetset
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jetset » Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:31 am

You're not kidding about the old ones.  I got a great deal on a '58 jet firebird which was the lousiest playing guitar I've ever come across.  I do like my current (96) sparkle jet.  Much better quality control on the modern ones.  I also like the gretch single coil dearmond sound.  Also very jazzmastery.
-J
I can't hear the forest for all the falling trees.

John Taverna
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by John Taverna » Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:21 am

of course you miss 'em! >:( they're terrific! :?
;)

daydreamdelay
Mods
Mods

Post by daydreamdelay » Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:08 am

I came close to buying a silver falcon a year ago but ended up have trouble justifying the price tag to myself for a new japanese guitar when I could get a nice JM or Electric XII for that kind of money.. I ended up getting my current JM for nearly a grand less. I'd love to find a nice old one someday.. I really like the look of your old Double Anniversary, it's a beauty

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:20 pm

i really miss my old '64 Gretsch...i want to buy a newer one as i can't afford a vintage in good condition and the ones that need work aren't like fixing up an old offset...but i'm torn between buying the cheap version 5120 now or saving up for a nice 6120 or silver falcon, which is my dream hollowbody.
sleeping on a bed of fuzz and feedback

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:29 pm

I'd love a nice old Gretsch, but yeah, I'm with Mezcalhead on this one...I've heard way too many horror stories about the old ones.

as far as the new models go, I've played a Silverjet, which was very cool...and a White Falcon....that was the sound of gods through a cranked original plexi!!!!(with a power soak)  8)

so yeah, I'd love something like a White Falcon....but less blingy.....

they are ridiculously expensive though :(
Resident Spartan.

serial
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by serial » Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:17 am

Can't say as I miss any Gretsches.  While they sound great, I found them mostly unplayable.  My brother had a '64/'65 Country Gent for years and it was never something I enjoyed playing.  Any old Gretsch I've ever picked up felt the same way.  Big, clumsy feeling neck, narrow FB and too-high actions for me.  Cool factor is rather high on those though and I love the sound of the 'Trons.  Gimme a JM any day of the week instead (although I know several people who find them difficult to play!). 
Destiny's in her evening gown; you're always running late.
You tell her she looks wonderful but she'll just have to wait.

burker
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by burker » Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:26 pm

I used to have a 67' chet atkins tennesean (I think thats what it was called, the single cutaway george harrison one, with the hilotrons) it had the ultimate oldschool 60s pop rock sound.... really regret selling that one..... :'(