I've noticed a trend with Jag and JM owners and Teles

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
serial
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: I've noticed a trend with Jag and JM owners and Teles

Post by serial » Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:15 am

The Phantom debuted in '82 (the red one is a Hamer "Prototype" model that came out in '81) and this one was EE's.  I spoke to him about it a couple years ago and he had a lot of praise for it.  He had three or four of them and said he screwed up a couple by putting Kahlers on them.  Glad he didn't Kahler this one!
Destiny's in her evening gown; you're always running late.
You tell her she looks wonderful but she'll just have to wait.

Mad-Mike
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: I've noticed a trend with Jag and JM owners and Teles

Post by Mad-Mike » Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:26 pm

Well, I"m now in the category of "offsetter with a Tele"  again, except this time it's an actual "standard" type Tele, not one trying to be a Les Paul with a carved top and humbuckers.  It's not the most expensive one (Squier Affinity Tele Special, "special" because of the 51' Tele look), but it was the best thing on the rack under $500 believe it or not.

I've always liked Telecasters, I think it goes back to the first one I saw on a rack in a store when I was 11, which was the only one in the store, I was not allowed to fool with because it was "too expensive".  I noticed they tend to have the same problem offsets do to a much smaller degree of not having a lot of lower-end/cheaper models availible.  I remember when the same store got a Lotus tele in, it went out the door pretty fast, then they got a bunch in, sold all those of, no Teles for awhile, then suddenly they get a few more in.

I like strats too, except I tend to be the most picky about those because there  are so damn many of them.  There were a lot of cool off-shoots on the strat too, like "The Strat", "Stratocaster Elite", and I really dig the 25th Anniversary Stratocaster, as well as the early 80's variant "International Colors" Stratocasters that had white pickguards and black pickups.  Typically, I end up buying a couple so  so Strats, taking  the best of each one, and making one monster strat out of it that sounds incredible. My current and  only regular 3 single Stratocaster is a mutt made of a DiMarzio Body painted black with 95 cent rattlecan paint and polished nicely with 3M finish restorer/rubbing compound.  The neck is off a Squier affinity stratocaster that  had a badly abused body, and the pickguard/electronics are all off an old Arbor stratocaster copy, which for a cheap plywood guitar, had some rrather good pickups and decent electronics.  Out of all the strat copies I've worked on/modified/tweaked, I could write a BOOK on how all the different strat copies differ from each other, and their weaknesses and strengths.

As for the Hamer guitars.  I regret not asking a local shop that just closed down about the Phantom they had in the back of the shop.  It was a dark brown stained ugly mofo  with a  kahler and a motherbucker, but it definatley was a Phantom.  I recall seeing quite a few in 80's music vids from around 84-87ish, I think Bruce Springsteen's guitarist had one too.  My favorite Hamers were always the Explorer styles though, especially Rick Nielson's oddballish ones like the Checkerboard from the "Dream Police" video, and the Floyd-ed "Gonna Raise Hell" guitar.
It's Me