Admitting your addiction....to Fenders?!

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
luau
Admin
Admin

Re: Admitting your addiction....to Fenders?!

Post by luau » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:50 am

;D ;D ;D

That's great 1946dodge. Smart lady! I use the jewelry policy. If I spend $X on guitars, I make sure I spend $X on diamonds and platinum. I factor it right in to the guitar price. Every one costs me double. After a couple guitars, I make sure there is something that sparkles for my wife. Ahh.. peace in the valley.

I'm addicted to Fenders and Gibsons. I flop back and forth but tend to spend more time on Fenders because they are generally a bit more affordable. Especially considering the jewelry policy.
Bigger in sum than parts.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:06 am

I'm not sure if it's an addiction for me...I think it's more the fact that I find a couple of Fender's models comfortable to play....

I've been really fortunate to have tried out loads of different guitars that belonged to friends (mostly vintage or US models, as well as various outstanding Japanese Fenders)....in the end it was just a no-brainer...the Jazzmaster won, and the Telecaster was second.

since I'm pretty tall I like guitars not feeling like toys...then, it's the necks, they need to feel nice with my long bone-y fingers....I just don't buy guitars anymore because they look pretty.

to sum it all up

Gibson ES335/Epiphone semis - great sounds, but they just felt weird against my body...they also felt quite fragile - cross off my list
Les Pauls - good sounds through certain amps, they felt small though, and they got heavy on the shoulder after a while - cross off the list

due to the two above, I think one day I should try one of them now discontinued, Les Paul Florentines...maybe they'll be the Gibson for me...preferably I'd find one with P90s...but I'm pretty sure they only came with humbuckers

carrying on....

Gibson SGs....GREAT rock sounds...I love SGs....but...they feel like I'm playing a banjo...and I also feel I might snap them by accident - cross off the list
Gibson Firbirds - I've played several...the necks are very narrow near the nut...but apart from that KILLER guitars -  I love them!

Rickenbackers - narrow on the neck...I understand there are models with wider necks, but I haven't played any - they only really do one sound...but what a sound.....I need more sounds though - so cross off the list

Gretches - WOW...I love the sound of the hollowbodies (also playd a silver jet and a duojet - very cool too)...I've played a White Falcon through a plexi and it was a religious experience...they are OTT though, and I don't like that much - off the list

Ibanez guitars...I've played various ones...I didn't like the neck radious...but they did make me play Iron Maiden's "The Trooper" a lot!  8)

onto Fenders...

The Stratocaster...I just cannot get on with them...I end up turning off the volume while playing too...I don't like the sensitivity of the tremolo either, an dI don't like the "quack" - off the list
Jaguars - too cramped, great sound....but with my big hands.. :(. - off the list.....other student models go off the list too due to the comfort factor

so it boils down to the Jazzmaster and the Telecaster...I could have 20 of each! :)

the Telecaster is so robust...and the simplicity just urges you to get on with becoming a better player
The Jazzmaster hangs perfectly, has the brilliant tremolo system, the neck sticks out more (I love that, as I'm pretty tall), it sounds shimmery, but can also scream.....and let us not forget....it looks GREAT! :D

when I was younger, I wanted one of every guitar, to get different sounds etc....nowadays I've settled on the sounds I like, and look for a comfortable guitar that I like playing for hours, instead of a guitar that I tolerate for hours in order to get a specific sound.

what 'm sayin' is....I have done "Back In Black" with a Jazzmaster through a Marshall...and you know?.....it didn't sound half-bad ;)

so there you go...an insight of why I like Jazzmasters.

my 2p, different strokes etc etc :)
Resident Spartan.

Sauerkraut
Expat
Expat

Post by Sauerkraut » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:34 am

zhivago wrote: I'm not sure if it's an addiction for me...I think it's more the fact that I find a couple of Fender's models comfortable to play....

I've been really fortunate to have tried out loads of different guitars that belonged to friends (mostly vintage or US models, as well as various outstanding Japanese Fenders)....in the end it was just a no-brainer...the Jazzmaster won, and the Telecaster was second.

since I'm pretty tall I like guitars not feeling like toys...then, it's the necks, they need to feel nice with my long bone-y fingers....I just don't buy guitars anymore because they look pretty.

to sum it all up

Gibson ES335/Epiphone semis - great sounds, but they just felt weird against my body...they also felt quite fragile - cross off my list
Les Pauls - good sounds through certain amps, they felt small though, and they got heavy on the shoulder after a while - cross off the list

due to the two above, I think one day I should try one of them now discontinued, Les Paul Florentines...maybe they'll be the Gibson for me...preferably I'd find one with P90s...but I'm pretty sure they only came with humbuckers

carrying on....

Gibson SGs....GREAT rock sounds...I love SGs....but...they feel like I'm playing a banjo...and I also feel I might snap them by accident - cross off the list
Gibson Firbirds - I've played several...the necks are very narrow near the nut...but apart from that KILLER guitars -  I love them!

Rickenbackers - narrow on the neck...I understand there are models with wider necks, but I haven't played any - they only really do one sound...but what a sound.....I need more sounds though - so cross off the list

Gretches - WOW...I love the sound of the hollowbodies (also playd a silver jet and a duojet - very cool too)...I've played a White Falcon through a plexi and it was a religious experience...they are OTT though, and I don't like that much - off the list

Ibanez guitars...I've played various ones...I didn't like the neck radious...but they did make me play Iron Maiden's "The Trooper" a lot!  8)

onto Fenders...

The Stratocaster...I just cannot get on with them...I end up turning off the volume while playing too...I don't like the sensitivity of the tremolo either, an dI don't like the "quack" - off the list
Jaguars - too cramped, great sound....but with my big hands.. :(. - off the list.....other student models go off the list too due to the comfort factor

so it boils down to the Jazzmaster and the Telecaster...I could have 20 of each! :)

the Telecaster is so robust...and the simplicity just urges you to get on with becoming a better player
The Jazzmaster hangs perfectly, has the brilliant tremolo system, the neck sticks out more (I love that, as I'm pretty tall), it sounds shimmery, but can also scream.....and let us not forget....it looks GREAT! :D

when I was younger, I wanted one of every guitar, to get different sounds etc....nowadays I've settled on the sounds I like, and look for a comfortable guitar that I like playing for hours, instead of a guitar that I tolerate for hours in order to get a specific sound.

what 'm sayin' is....I have done "Back In Black" with a Jazzmaster through a Marshall...and you know?.....it didn't sound half-bad ;)

so there you go...an insight of why I like Jazzmasters.

my 2p, different strokes etc etc :)
maybe I should go to a big guitarshop, try everything they've got and conclude I'm perfectly satisfied with just my Telecaster and Jazzmaster, it would save me a lot of money.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:49 am

heh...that's kinda what happened to me...minus the guitar shop though...I just played guitars belonging to friends :)

it's actually rather good....and it keeps guitar GAS at bay :)
Resident Spartan.

Aug
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Aug » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:54 am

I can certainly understand the addiction...but, I'm now in SELL MODE.  Having 3 mustangs is just KEERAZY!

darkstriker
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by darkstriker » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:14 am

Aug wrote:
I can certainly understand the addiction...but, I'm now in SELL MODE.  Having 3 mustangs is just KEERAZY!
I'd say you have a bit of a problem controlling your fenderism  ;D ;D

I only have a Jaguar and a Stratocaster (yet). I never really understood the strat hatred that flows around here, but the more I play the jaguar, the more I get it. The volume knob does get in the way and I keep hitting the middle pickup with my pick.

A Telecaster and another Jaguar are coming soon to me, though.

mewithoutus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mewithoutus » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:21 pm

i just cant get enough of fenders. my dream guitar is a black or white jazzmaster with a tort pickguard. oooooh man.

until then, ive got my sunburst MIM tele with the hot rails in the bridge, my silver sparkle jagmaster with the phat cat p90, and im picking up a stock MIM tele in white with a tort guard today. i love them fenders.

i always gravitate back to teles though. theres just something about their look, the way they feel, the sounds they make. heaven.
=--->christopher

myspace.com/foxestheband

darkstriker
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by darkstriker » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:40 pm

And by the way, having 3 mustangs isn't crazy, it's good taste.

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:28 pm

darkstriker wrote:
I never really understood the strat hatred that flows around here...
Most of the people around here don't hate $trats (I own one and love it),  they are just so common.  If they are okay for Clapton and Dick Dale, they are good by me!!!!

I've spoken of this hatred before and got lots of responses, some seemed peeved...
index.php?topic=2595.0
Damn kids, get off my lawn!

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:12 am

Strats are fine, they have their place. The vintage ones are priced way beyond usability though IMHO.

I own a RI and enjoy it .. although if I had to start selling up, it wouldn't be the last guitar to go.

Here it is basking in the sun with its mates:

Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

darkstriker
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by darkstriker » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:36 am

Well... hatred was probably too strong. I meant I keep seeing theese threads were one user or another bashed something about the stratocaster, although now I understood some of the complaints as I started to have those same complaints myself.