Eko

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
idiotbear

Eko

Post by idiotbear » Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:03 am

What are these old Italian guitars like? A friend of mine's dad has a 60s Eko acoustic, and it's lovely - really sweet sounding, with a lovely neck. What about the electrics, though? They look wicked cool, especially the early 60s models - does anyone know what they play like?

I was thinking of snapping one up for cheap (they're VERY reasonable) and maybe changing out the pups. Worth doing?

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Re: Eko

Post by mezcalhead » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:27 am

I've got an old Eko 12-string acoustic someone gave me for free .. it needs a refret but apart from that plays okay and sounds pretty good .. nice wide comfy neck.

I've heard mixed reviews of the electrics though .. some at least are almost completely unplayable. But they were common enough that I'd think in London you could find one in a pawn shop somewhere to try before you buy.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

idiotbear

Post by idiotbear » Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:22 am

It's a semi acoustic I've got my eye on, so maybe that'll be a goody. The seller at least looks like a reputable guy.

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:45 am

Do they have truss rods? I can't remember .. I think that no truss rod would probably be a deal breaker for me.

idiotbear

Post by idiotbear » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:09 am

Good point. I should check. I'll report back and let you know.

UPDATE: Yeah, the guitar I'm after is basically an Eko Barracuda back from before they were called Barracudas. It does have a truss rod. It's a 1964 Eko 290, and I'm bidding on it. Not going to go overboard here, but if I get it for my bid price, I'll be happy - it's a funky little thing.

R
Last edited by idiotbear on Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:36 pm

I think I see it .. looks very sharp!

idiotbear

Post by idiotbear » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:39 pm

Nah, didn't get it. It's a cool guitar but I wasn't going to go over £260 for it. Whoever got it has it for £314, which I think is too much, but hey. I'm kind of relieved I missed the end of the auction, actually - I might've got bid fever and gone well over what it was worth.

;)

momunist
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by momunist » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:26 pm

those are the kind of things that are coolest when you find them cheap or free.  keep your eyes open and your fingers crossed.

djetz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by djetz » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:27 am

I have an EKO Ranger 6 acoustic. Made in the 70s. Cost me damn near nothing in a pawn shop.

Excellent acoustic.

Here in Australia EKOs were re-badged as "Eston" by a local importer in the 70s.

In fact (tip for Aussies) whoever "Eston" was had good taste: a lot of gear with that brand name is good quality. All imported and re-badged. I have a friend who has a 1x12 "Eston" valve amp that is excellent.
-=264=-

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:47 am

djetz wrote: Here in Australia EKOs were re-badged as "Eston" by a local importer in the 70s.
Aha!

:D

I remember hearing about those before, from the liner notes to Marty Willson-Piper's In Reflection:
Marty Willson-Piper wrote:I have a really interesting twelve-string Eston acoustic guitar which has a quite distinct sound to it, which I bought for $70 in a music shop in Tasmania. It only fits in sometimes, but when it works it really is unmistakable! The other time it worked well was on "A Month of Sundays" on Remote Luxury.

But I didn't know that Eston = Eko .. so it's probably much like the 12-string Eko I've got, if not the same model exactly .. thank you for that, it's made my day!