Re: Guitars you wish you've never had...

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
chrisjedijane
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by chrisjedijane » Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:51 am

FUZZ_KING wrote:
chrisjedijane wrote: Due to a (now ex-) girlfriend and a student loan, I bought this:

I've had it for over 2 years and I've never so much as changed the strings on it...

But I'm stupid and never sell anything, so I'll probably keep it forever. If anyone wants to take it off my hands, let me know!!!!  :D
I just keep seeing all kinds of things with this Emily logo lately, is it a comic book or a band or something?
It's kinda like a comic book character kinda thing. I was going out with a girl at the time who was crazy about it, I'd just got a student loan and she persuaded me to buy it...

It's not bad actually as a guitar for the money, and it does look good - but I already have a Gibson SG that's first choice every time!

I do like the graphics, actually. It's kinda fun.
"we lack the motion to move to the new beat"

berlinbetty
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by berlinbetty » Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:47 am

This was a tenor resonator that I bought on ebay a couple years ago.  The only problem is it's a fake resonator.  It has a coverplate covering the flat top of the guitar (painted silver) with no cone underneath.  I paid way too much money to find out that there even was such a thing.  But the guy worded the auction in just such a way that was deceptive but not wrong!  I ended up losing my ass on it because I was more upfront when I went to sell it.  Now, whenever I catch one of these things on ebay, I write the seller and ask them to clarify that it's not a genuine resonator.
One more guitar, then I'll practice!

geoffreysnow
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by geoffreysnow » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:49 pm

1946dodge wrote: I once read that this old black blues player - I forgot his name - played ONLY a Kingston.
He just loved the gritty sound he got from the pickups (which is because they were probably cheap).
Your dad knows how to play his kingston and probably in his hands it belongs.
I wouldnt change anything on it except the pots and switches, if they are worn out or dirty, but I would not change the pickups especially or anything else.
JMHO
Ed
hound dog taylor?

CaptainCrunch
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CaptainCrunch » Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:00 am

I had a Peavey Predator (I think-the Strat copy) that was just Jimmy.

Played like Jimmy, sounded like Jimmy, tuned like Jimmy. Even the case freakin' stank.

It was one of the US made ones, and I should have loved it for how cheap it was.
Sold it to a store for $75 and walked away snickering "suckers".

I have yet to play a guitar I liked less. Shred-approved Yamahas included.
Stone Deaf In The U.S.A.

fuzzking
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fuzzking » Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:28 am

Shred-approved guitars...

A friend of mine had one like this:

Especially strange when considering
he has great taste in all things design, for the rest.

I couldn't play a chord on it.

:)
Nobody exists on purpose.

Mad-Mike
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mad-Mike » Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:39 am

I never had a guitar that I did'nt like, but I've had a few that drove me particularly nuts..........

1985 Kramer Focus 3000

If it were not for this lemon of a guitar, I would not have EVER leanred about guitar repair.  Within the first month, I had to go from 009-042 gauge strings to 012-056 to keep from breaking them all the time, and even then, I eventually wound up moving up to my own custom set of 014, 018, 024, 034, 044, 060 to keep from breaking strings, and that was the only time it went one week without winding up with only 4 out of 6 strings left on it.

On top of it, the bridge humbucker  (the original) was badly designed and vulnerable to having the coils cut by guitar picks, so I had it replaced with a Schaller Floyd/Rose Sustainer for $20 during the last few sighing breaths of grunge.

After that, the middle pickup just gave up out of the blue, and then I had to have a switch replaced, and all kinds of other crap.  Then the bloody locking nut stripped out, and the Luthier at the store, feeling sorry for me, did a bad/good thing and gave me a Stew Mac catalog, and the next thing I know, I'm adding and upgrading parts like a madman on this thing.  By the end of the next summer, I cut my own pickguard (in the picture), replaced the original pickups with EMG select, and replaced the wiring with most of what you see here, filed the upper frets down.  2 years ago I added the neck humbucker, and for the longest time I had a Gibson branded Kahler held on with bolts from a Briggs & Stratton Lawn Mower engine, which I just swapped out because 10 years after THAT swap now it won't stay in tune again, so I put a Floyd Rose II trem I had laying around on it...sometimes I just feel like throwing a Mustang trem on it and being done with the locking trems on this thing, hence why I only use it occasionally.  If it were not my first Electric Guitar, it would have been out first sign that it needed all that work.  In the same amount of time I owned my Jag-Stang, I had already done about 2000X in repairs, and replacements, the Jag-stang is still pretty much original except what I got that was changed, the Kramer has already lead 20 lives.

Here's the retarded part, I bought another one on my 10th year anniversary.....thankfully it has not been half the problem this one was, but hten maybe that's because I'm usually playing my Fenders now.
It's Me

daydreamdelay
Mods
Mods

Post by daydreamdelay » Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:24 am

I was in my first year or two of highschool and decided I finally wanted a real guitar since my cheap strat copy was absolute crap.. I was in and out of a local shop for a few weeks looking at this Les Paul Studio and Mustang but I just didn't have enough cash and got talked into buying a used BC Rich Warlock.. it was horrible, not just to look at but to play. I swear it was worse than that cheap strat copy :k

I also bought a 60's SG Custom off ebay back in the late 90's.. I thought I got a deal until I took it out of the case and the paint rubbed off onto my shirt, it was downhill from there.. the guitar was totally butchered, thankfully after a lot of work I got a refund. What a let down  :(

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:31 am

Mad-Mike wrote: for the longest time I had a Gibson branded Kahler held on with bolts from a Briggs & Stratton Lawn Mower engine,
I thought I was the only one who used automotive etc. parts on my guitars! :P
The springs on one of my Tele pickups is out of a Jeep locking differential... ;D
Damn kids, get off my lawn!

Mad-Mike
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mad-Mike » Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:50 pm

RumorsOFsurF wrote:
Mad-Mike wrote: for the longest time I had a Gibson branded Kahler held on with bolts from a Briggs & Stratton Lawn Mower engine,
I thought I was the only one who used automotive etc. parts on my guitars! :P
The springs on one of my Tele pickups is out of a Jeep locking differential... ;D
Ah man, that Kramer is also 1/4th Tandy 1000 SX IBM Compatible PC.  It has the printer clasp from one, as well as one of the screws that holds the thing together is from the tandy, and when I had the Kahler, for the longest time, there were RAM CHIPS of all things stuck in the foam used to decorate the cavity to make it look intentional (there was some recess visible from the recessed floyd). It also has tons of screws from Wal-Mart, pressed board furnature, and the Strangle Switch (the switch between the voume and tone controls, it's quite a bit more extreme than a Jaguar's strangle switch that's for sure).  I basically tried to turn that thing into a Jaguar in a strats body for years, and it morphed into the beat up red hellabeast it is now.  I love it now, but man did it give me hell along the way.  Mom bought it for me for christmas for $250, and I've just as easily put MORE than that into it.
It's Me

vapourtrail
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by vapourtrail » Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:53 am

vapourtrail wrote: my custom midnight blue 370 rickenbacker.

cos it got stolen about 5 years ago now and i've spent 10 minutes every day looking on ebay, craigslist, etc. for it hoping it turns up :(
still by far my most favorite guitar i've ever owned to play.
i know this post was generally for bad guits, but hey, look what turned up the other day:

http://cgi.ebay.com/2000-Rickenbacker-M ... dZViewItem

yup, it's mine. serial # registered bought and stolen under my name with Rickenbacker.
currently going through all the mess to try and retrieve it. not fun.

fuzzking
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fuzzking » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:05 am

vapourtrail wrote:
vapourtrail wrote: my custom midnight blue 370 rickenbacker.

cos it got stolen about 5 years ago now and i've spent 10 minutes every day looking on ebay, craigslist, etc. for it hoping it turns up :(
still by far my most favorite guitar i've ever owned to play.
i know this post was generally for bad guits, but hey, look what turned up the other day:

http://cgi.ebay.com/2000-Rickenbacker-M ... dZViewItem

yup, it's mine. serial # registered bought and stolen under my name with Rickenbacker.
currently going through all the mess to try and retrieve it. not fun.
Success with that. I bet it's a pain.
Nobody exists on purpose.

berlinbetty
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by berlinbetty » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:37 am

That's great!  Except for the pain part.  I'm sure it's a real hassle...  Be sure and keep us posted.  I'm interested to see how that turns out.
One more guitar, then I'll practice!

vapourtrail
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by vapourtrail » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:44 am

i haven't heard back from the guy yet, but i laid everything out for him.

I've been in contact with Rickenbacker (whose customer service is amazing) and they have all the records of when, where, how much etc. i bought this guitar, my registration of the serial # and when i told them it had been stolen.

i marked this auction as stolen property with ebay. ebay will fully cooperate with the authorities in providing his name, address, credit card etc. that they have recorded when you sign up with an account with them.

I have a copy of the case reporti filed with the philadelphia police when it was stolen.

I have taken webshots of the entire posting to include with this. ebay will have it recorded in their database.

if he still sells it on ebay, whether or not he actually stole it, i've already informed him that it is stolen property and he'd be selling stolen property.
if someone buys it, i will notify them the second the auction ends that it is a stolen guitar & to check with Rickenbacker for proof.

If he pulls the auction to try to dump it to a friend, pawn shop, classifieds, etc. I and ebay have full documentation and pictures of the auction and that he did have it and will be charged with selling stolen property once it gets through all the police paperwork.

Really, dude is in checkmate. I've been waiting 5 years playing this scenario through my head. he has no move whether he stole it or not.

I've given him the option to return it or I send the case report in to the Police.

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:01 am

Excellent! Good luck .. this could be the coolest retrieved-guitar story since mjet got back a couple of stolen vintage guitars .. (can't remember the full story, Michael?)
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:04 am

this is great news, vapourtrail!

I hope you get your guitar back ASAP!!! :)
Resident Spartan.