Intergalactic Space-Age 3 Pickup Electric Guitar!

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Intergalactic Space-Age 3 Pickup Electric Guitar!

Post by fullerplast » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:55 am

I was going to post this in the 'project/mod/resto' forum, but that would be heresy as it's non-offset. So it goes here, my latest completed project... a  '54 $trat. Using photos from the VGI website, I recreated the rounded bakeplate pup covers and knobs out of regular reissue plastic ones. The body is 3.8 lb one piece swamp ash finished 100% in nitro (by Guitar Mill in Tenessee), and aged by yours truly. Everything is brand new except the pickguard screws and strap buttons which are vintage, everything else is repro/reissue and hand aged/. The PAT PEND saddles are repros from Germany. Pickups are Texas Specials. Neck is Allparts MIJ, also 100% nitro finished. The nut is TUSQ precut, and hand-shaped to fit. Check out the repro 'phone book' capacitor, it's  built over a modern orange drop. It came from eBay, I was so happy with it that I bought a set of six.

I also made a tremolo-model  '58 (3TSB with maple neck) simulataneously with this one. It was much more heavily-reliced (including fretboard wear that looks quite realistic). Currently, my son plays it around Atlanta. He says he gets asked about it everywhere he goes.

This project came out so well. Once I'm caught up with remaining projects, I'm doing a '57 Protoype Jazzmaster.

Feedback and/or questions are welcome...

Last edited by fullerplast on Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Q. Are we not men?

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Re: Intergalactic Space-Age 3 Pickup Electric Guitar!

Post by mezcalhead » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:15 am

I don't know much about the period details of Strats, but I like the look of that more than most Nashes I've seen.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:45 am

mezcalhead wrote: I don't know much about the period details of Strats, but I like the look of that more than most Nashes I've seen.
+1 on that.

Give it a wiggle-stick and I'm in love.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:46 am

Thanks! I went a little heavier than I wanted to on the checking, but it's hard to control it.

I know alot of people find the whole relic thing kind of silly, and I do too - if it's the belt-sander Kenny Wayne type. But to just add the ambience of a vintage guitar is fun and challenging.

It's the little details that make it cool, IMO. On the '58 I did for my son, I cut a little shape out of masking tape that is similar to the "contour body" outrigger, and stuck it on the ball of the headstock. Then I shot a tinted amber clearcoat over the entire headstock, and removed the little piece of tape. It looks exactly like the "contour body" logo came off years after it was applied. I've seen alot of real vintage guitars where this happened, and it was fun to recreate it. To me, that's one of the things that make it look real and not contrived.

I'm really looking forward to the JM project, after my others are done.
Last edited by fullerplast on Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Q. Are we not men?

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:59 am

This guy does some cool work:

http://www.revelatorguitarworks.com/index.html

Some are restorations, but most are scratch built. I believe he actually cuts the bodies/necks himself.
Q. Are we not men?

TheMilford
Expat
Expat

Post by TheMilford » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:27 am

"Once I'm caught up with remaining projects, I'm doing a '57 Protoype Jazzmaster."

Wanna make me a lefty one while your at it? :D
http://seasonfinale.bandcamp.com/
http://www.tronographic.com/

daydreamdelay
Mods
Mods

Post by daydreamdelay » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:37 am

I don't like strats so I'm not up on what's what with them but it looks really good.. nice job, especially on the checking and hardware relicing, that cap looks quite cool too  8)

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:45 am

fullerplast wrote: This project came out so well. Once I'm caught up with remaining projects, I'm doing a '57 Protoype Jazzmaster.
Are you going to do that funny vulcanized fretboard thing that's on the Fullerton JM @ Buffalo Bros.?
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:04 pm

Maggieo wrote: [
Are you going to do that funny vulcanized fretboard thing that's on the Fullerton JM @ Buffalo Bros.?
No, It won't be based on any actual existing prototype. I'm thinking maple board with the $rat headstock and clipped decal... a "nomaster" to coin a term.      ;)
Q. Are we not men?

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:07 pm

fullerplast wrote:
Maggieo wrote: [
No, It won't be based on any actual existing prototype. I'm thinking maple board with the $rat headstock and clipped decal... a "nomaster" to coin a term.      ;)

Ohhhhhh, I'd play that!

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:25 pm

Something like this:

:-*
Q. Are we not men?

Coronado
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Coronado » Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:46 pm

That's a GREAT guitar, good job. I'm looking forward to see that prototype.....  :)

lalalandstudios
Expat
Expat

Post by lalalandstudios » Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:52 pm

Doug, I think you did a great job with that one and I'll bet you learned alot in the process. Can't wait to see your protoype JM.

On an aside, the freeze thaw (natural or using spray application) method of relic'ing seems  unpredictable to me - they always wind up having too many spiders and not enough linear checking. I was intrigued reading how Tom Murphy at Gibson does it - using a fine knife to 'draw' linear checking into the guitar - I am sure there's more to it than that - but the Murphy aged guitars seem more real and natural than say the current CS relic offerings...
I'm a reasonable man get off my case...

Jay
Admin
Admin

Post by Jay » Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:16 pm

I like both Doug!  I've really had a huge desire for maple board Jaazmasters lately. I plan on doing the blaster project in maple and could stand to wrap another maple board around the gold guard I got from John...  not sure what color though.

chrisjedijane
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by chrisjedijane » Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:46 am

That looks fantastic - the finish checking is especially nice :D

how did you do the bakelite-esque pickup covers? Did you just sand down a regular set of pickup covers?
"we lack the motion to move to the new beat"