The I hate my Telecaster Thread

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Re: The I hate my Telecaster Thread

Post by Maggieo » Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:49 pm

Well, I just tried out the 5th fret harmonic on my Quine Telecaster (w/Muy Grande pickups) and by golly, the harmonic disappears when I switch to the neck pickup alone! If I switch to the bridge pickup, the harmonic "comes back."  Looks like the stories are true!

I guess my thinline's Charlie Christian pickup has a wide enough field to pick up the harmonic, whereas the trad sized Muy's can't.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

chrisjedijane
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by chrisjedijane » Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:51 pm

the neck pickup on my '72 is currently out of action, so I can't comment!
"we lack the motion to move to the new beat"

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:57 pm

Here's the guitars I'm referring to:

Hope your '72 gets back in full action soon!
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

burker
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by burker » Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:21 pm

Maggieo wrote: Here's the guitars I'm referring to:

Hope your '72 gets back in full action soon!
Kindof off topic but how would you describe the sound of the Charlie christian pickup? (other than  "like charlie christian...")

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:05 pm

It's woody and beefy, but with a bit of air and a throaty cut not unlike, but different than a p-90.  In the thinline it can do a good jazzbox imitation.

chrisjedijane
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by chrisjedijane » Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:33 pm

i always liked the look of those charlie christian pickups, but my grandfather would KILL me if he saw me put it into what used to be his telecaster :D

I'm currently trying to raise some funds to get the tele back in action - it needs a re-fret, the neck pickup needs re-wound and the bridge needs  wax potting, as it's microphonic as hell. I either want to get the pickups rewound, or get replacements - does anyone have any recommendations (preferably in the UK for any rewinds!)?

for now though, I'm digging the almost-esquire vibe on it :D

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:06 pm

I have to say my Lollar Tele pickups are as good as anything I've ever heard in my life.

Sauerkraut
Expat
Expat

Post by Sauerkraut » Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:08 am

Maggieo wrote: I have to say my Lollar Tele pickups are as good as anything I've ever heard in my life.
sometimes I get the feeling I should have done it the other way around: Lollars in my Tele & Novaks in my Jazzmaster. Of course Lollar makes good Jazzmaster pickups and Novak makes nice Tele pickups, but I suspect Novak is more of an authority on Jazzmaster pickups (he made quite a few different ones) and Lollar focuses more on the other Fenders (with some different types of Tele pups for example), or is that nonsense?

benecol
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by benecol » Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:13 am

chrisjedijane wrote: the neck pickup on my '72 is currently out of action, so I can't comment!
My '72 too! I took it to pieces on Tuesday night, and stripped the (thick) poly finish off it with a hotair gun over the last couple of days (which worked great), only to discover that it's got what looks like a mahogany body, which is weird (it's a 70's Cimar, who morphed into Ibanez). My old '69 thinline was mahogany, but I've never heard of a solid mahogany bodied tele (apart from the one I've been playing for all these years unknowingly) - anyone else got a mahogany tele?

Maggie - had Robert Quine fitted those Muy Grande p'ups, or did you do that? How did you come by the tele?

chrisjedijane
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by chrisjedijane » Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:32 am

that's weird, I've never seen a mahogany bodied tele either - it would be interesting, though!

I like the look of those Lollar pickups, but I'd preferably like to get a bridge pickup with staggered magnets (as that's what's on the guitar now) to keep it original. Lollar only seems to do flat polepieces unfortunately. I guess I could live with it, and his prices are pretty good.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:30 am

benecol wrote: Maggie - had Robert Quine fitted those Muy Grande p'ups, or did you do that? How did you come by the tele?
Yep, Robert Quine put the Muy Grandes in it. They sound great, if not exactly vintage (tho' turn down the volume and they get really, really close).  I bought it from Rick Kelly at Carmine Street Guitars, after Robert's death.  It's an MIJ 50's RI, I think, and cost right around $700.  I feel honored every time I pick it up.

serial
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by serial » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:10 pm

Robert Quine.  Hats off. What a great player he was.
Destiny's in her evening gown; you're always running late.
You tell her she looks wonderful but she'll just have to wait.

cmatthes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cmatthes » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:30 pm

Indeed.  Much great stuff over the years.  I'm partial to the Matthew Sweet stuff, as that was my true intro, although I'd heard and heard of him since the mid-80s. 

Treasure that one!

theswingincreeper
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by theswingincreeper » Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:12 pm

I wouldn't say I hate them, they're just not really my kind of thing. I have owned 5 Telecasters, mostly '70s models which were very different from each other. For a while, it seemed like the best guitar for the kind of music I played at the time, but I eventually found them too "one-dimensional" (in lack of a better term)  Not everyone is a genius like Danny Gatton or Roy Buchanan. In addition, I love the feel of the contoured body and I'm addicted to the wang bar. Right now in my band, the other guitarist plays a Tele and it's pretty obvious for him it's the perfect choice. He plays rhythm most of the time but I try to persuade him to get a bit more into soloing so we can do a Tele-Jazzmaster duel once in a while which  is an interesting contrast.

Regards, Joe
Last edited by theswingincreeper on Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:32 pm

theswingincreeper wrote: I'm addicted to the wang.
That's fine, we accept your lifestyle here.