Travis Bean & other aluminium guitars

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
Monkeytrick
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Travis Bean & other aluminium guitars

Post by Monkeytrick » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:00 pm

Hi, all

Does anybody know about Travis Bean guitars? I've loved their sound since I started listening to The Jesus Lizard and Shellac some years ago. There's simply nothing like it! I thought some of you might own one and would like to tell us about their experiences with it. Pics will be welcome!
OSG's acting Spanish ambassador.

"Donny, these men are nihilists, there's nothing to be afraid of..."

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Travis Bean & other aluminium guitars

Post by s_mcsleazy » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:12 pm

my friend had a aluminium guitar and it was a beast. it had so much treble he would run it on the neck pickup with the tone rolled off.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

jimboyogi
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jimboyogi » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:13 pm

I know of at least 2 OSGers with TB's, unfortunately neither is me :(

Forumites 'I love Sharin Foo' and 'Harvester' both have one, and will hopefully chip in.

I've been lucky enough to have a quick play of Harvester's TB, and apart from being a little hefty, was amazing sounding and playing. Huge sustain, bright but IMO not sharp, and a really unique tone that was both pure, and full of overtones, if that's possible.

Check out Harvester's site - http://www.harvesterguitars.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He's started building aluminium neck-through guitars now, fantastic. And the one loosely modelled on a Harmony Stratotone is for me :ph34r:

Ex Lion Tamer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ex Lion Tamer » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:27 pm

Travis Bean guitars are rare and they have become very expensive. There's a small builder down in Pensacola that has been building high quality aluminum guitars: http://www.electricalguitarcompany.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cmatthes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cmatthes » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:14 pm

A friend of mine has the largest TB collection in the world (true story). They are really cool in their own way - definitely have a different feel and sound, and as posted above, are typically heavy, but then agian, that supposedly added to sustain back in the '70s!

Also, as pointed out above, they have become EXTREMELY expensive. Definitely not a bargain-hunter's guitar these days.

andrewdoeshair
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andrewdoeshair » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:34 pm

1. Excellent username!
2. I spent a few months googling Travis bean guitars after I saw the J Liz in Hollywood. It was the best show I've ever been to.
If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe. - Carl Sagan

benadrian
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by benadrian » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:23 pm

I have an Electrical GuItar Company guitar.

It has a super thin neck, incredible sustain, potential for a sharp attack, and a much wider range of tones as compared to a wood guitar. It's a pinch lighter than a heavy Les Paul.

Here are a number of photos.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/benadrian/ ... 159496738/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you have any specific questions, let me know.

Filly-Fuzz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Filly-Fuzz » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:40 am

Travis Beans are awesome.

My two cents 8)
I tell you all my secrets but I lie about my past....

nrs24985
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by nrs24985 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:31 am

cmatthes wrote:A friend of mine has the largest TB collection in the world (true story). They are really cool in their own way - definitely have a different feel and sound, and as posted above, are typically heavy, but then agian, that supposedly added to sustain back in the '70s!

Also, as pointed out above, they have become EXTREMELY expensive. Definitely not a bargain-hunter's guitar these days.
I would love to hear more about your friends collection, how many, does he own one of each model, any photos or links to photos?

Travis Beans are unique guitars and I absolutely love mine to bits, hands down the nicest guitar I have ever played and the only guitar I would never sell, no matter how hard times are. I bought it on impulse because I got a good deal on it, and was in reality not knowing what to expect as I had always pretty much played Fender offsets with single coils and trems, with the exception of my first guitar and a few others. So a guitar with an aluminium neck, no trem and humbuckers was a huge departure.

Mine is a standard, one of about 1400 ever made, I'd love an artist one day or even a 500, but I'd be happy if I only ever have my 1000s. I have heard that they vary, mainly because there are different "eras" for lack of a better word, the early ones have thick, and I mean thick, bodies, and narrower horns, as the numbers progress, around 1000 they get thinner, the horns further apart and some necks get imron coating. As cam be expected these changes affect sound and feel. I've never played a nicer guitar, the neck is perfect, and the sound is completely unique. I use the neck pickup only as the bridge has too much treble fir my taste, a friend who has used it a few times orefers the bridge, it's all orsonal. The pickups have so much clarity, that I often forget I am playing humbuckers, yet they are powerful and get a nice natural over drive easily. And sustain, for days, and days and days. Super responsive too and they are incredible vehicles for unconventional playing, hence the success Albini has with his. They also have a flat, zero radius fretboard.

If you can play one, play a few as you might prefer the thinner or thicker body etc, if you like them and can afford one buy it, you won't be disappointed.

Noticing your avatar, bear in mind these guitars won't make you sound like Steve Albini, or Dennison, but again the unique tonal qualities they have are a key part of each of those guitarist's sound.

Also bear in mind that they are incredibly heavy, particularly earlier models, the weight, in my opinion, is the only potential negative, however, it doesn't bother me one bit.

If you are looking to buy, the market has dropped a bit, if you aren't fanatical about every knob and solder joint being original or not worried about a refin, you could get one for $3000 or maybe a bit less. When the market was high, natural finish standards were averaging about $4500 sometimes more with the rarer models even higher, these days artists seems to go for about $4500-5500 depending in condition and colour, though some sellers still expect exponentially more, 500s go for $5000-7000. You should be able to get an all original standard for $3000-4000.

I also own an EGC 500 model, though with an all aluminium body, they come with wood bodies as standard, and I ordered a thicker neck profile with zero radius. Also an absolutely amazing instrument, and despite the fact that there are obvious similarities between it and my Travis Bean, it is a different beast. Kevin provides an amazing quality product at a very reasonable price, bearing in mind these are made to order, mostly custom instruments, to those who complain compare the price of a custom EGC, currently $2300 with case, to an the RRP of an Am Vintage Jazzmaster or Stratocaster, it's a no brainier what is the better value, plus you only pay a deposit when ordering and the balance on completion.

The EGC has single coils, also very high output and sonically not a huge difference between it and my TB, if anything a bit louder than the TB due to being brand new, the balance is much better, and the guitar is lighter and weighted better. I prefer the neck profile on my TB though and as much as I love my EGC, if the house as on fire I'd grab the TB first.

Wow long post, alminium guitars are one of my favourite things to discuss and I could go on and on for days about them.

Monkeytrick
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Monkeytrick » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:55 am

nrs24985 wrote:
cmatthes wrote:Wow long post, alminium guitars are one of my favourite things to discuss and I could go on and on for days about them.
Truly great post, thanks a lot for the info!
Right now I have a Jazzmaster in mind (it'll be my first offset), but in the future I'll definitely try to get a TB. They are absolutely amazing...

Monkeytrick
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Monkeytrick » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:58 am

andrewdoeshair wrote:1. Excellent username!
2. I spent a few months googling Travis bean guitars after I saw the J Liz in Hollywood. It was the best show I've ever been to.
Thanks, it's a fantastic song! I read that David Yow called it "the best song in the history of universe, ever".

Everytime I read about Jesus Lizard gigs I wish I'd been there... I'm still looking forward to another reunion tour!

Monkeytrick
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Monkeytrick » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:10 am

benadrian wrote:I have an Electrical GuItar Company guitar.

It has a super thin neck, incredible sustain, potential for a sharp attack, and a much wider range of tones as compared to a wood guitar. It's a pinch lighter than a heavy Les Paul.

Thanks, Ben! Great looking guitar!
I had never heard about this company. I'm checking their guitars and I'm getting quite interested... The prices seem very fair, though I guess that they will rise due to shipping and taxes...

One question for now. Does your guitar have a full aluminium body or is it neck through like a Travis Bean?

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:34 am

Monkeytrick wrote:
Right now I have a Jazzmaster in mind (it'll be my first offset), but in the future I'll definitely try to get a TB. They are absolutely amazing...
Or just meet in the middle....

Man, these necks!!!....

If I had the money I'd get him to build me a Jazzmaster-style one like in the picture but with a standard black aluminium guard & Filtertrons.
Mind you, those trapezoid-shaped pickup covers look pretty amazing so who knows.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

Ex Lion Tamer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ex Lion Tamer » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:58 am

Monkeytrick wrote:
benadrian wrote:I have an Electrical GuItar Company guitar.

Thanks, Ben! Great looking guitar!
I had never heard about this company. I'm checking their guitars and I'm getting quite interested... The prices seem very fair, though I guess that they will rise due to shipping and taxes...

One question for now. Does your guitar have a full aluminium body or is it neck through like a Travis Bean?
I'll answer for Ben, as I have been reading on the EGC guitars ('cause I really, really want one, it's only a matter of time and money). They're all neck through like TBs. Some have wooden bodies, others have metal bodies but, in most of their guitars, the neck, pups and bridge are all on the same chunk of metal. The body is connected to the neck-through section in a way that doesn't dampen things.

Keep in mind that EGC is pretty much a custom shop, you can ask them to do pretty much anything.

Is that right, Ben?

Monkeytrick
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Monkeytrick » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:38 am

Thanks for the reply. They are now on my "To Buy" list too...

And it's good to find a fellow Wire fan around!