Your personal guitar timeline - what happened to them all?

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
bdf83
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Your personal guitar timeline - what happened to them al

Post by bdf83 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:10 pm

Im happy to admit that Im a hoarder and for various reasons have never liked the idea of getting rid of guitars as they all mean something to me.

1989/90ish first guitar was an old CBS nylon string acoustic that ended up in my parents loft. Begged them for it and they said only if I played it so dutifully played it to everyone elses distraction. Still got it.

1991ish complained that the neck was too big for my hands so my parents got a cheap 3/4 size nylon string and my dad came along to guitar lessons with me and played the other one. Split around the body at uni, still at my mum and dad's house.

1992 desperately wanted an electric so saved pocket money and bought a second-hand Mustang for about £100. Not a Fender Mustang, a Mustang Stratocaster that was apparently a forerunner to Squier's overseas production. I played that guitar more than any other despite it being rough as arseholes. Covered it in stickers at uni then took them off last year. Still play it, still love it. Won't ever sell it, not that anyone would buy it.

1995 ish. Grandparents got me a black Lorenzo ripoff of the Gibson Dove acoustic in black. Thought it looked rad but the action was so bad it almost cut my fingers off whenever I played it. The tuner snapped so it had one metal machinehead and 5 plastic. The bridge eventually lifted up and I ended up giving it to my cousin.

2003 ish found a Lorenzo 12 string on ebay for £50 opening bid. Always wanted one so bunged a bid on and won it. Drove and picked it up that night as it was weirdly two towns over. Still got it.

2004 got money for my 21st birthday so bought my first nice guitar. Epi SG. Still got it, dont play it a lot but wont get rid of it as it was a present.

2005 working a job, living at home so had more money than I knew what to do with so bought a nice single cutaway crafter acoustic, put a Shadow acoustic pickup in it and still play it every now and then. Still got it.

2006 went round the states so bought a 1/2 size acoustic in West Virginia so Id have something to play. Going to give it to my godson for his birthday most likely.

2007 my (now wife's but at the time) girlfriends best mate was dating a guy who was a total arsehole who leeched off her nonstop, she bought him a Joe Perry Boneyard and he was paying her back. He only had £150 left to pay off and she said she needed the money by the end of the day or she'd sell it to anyone. So thats how I got a 2 month old guitar for a fraction of what it was worth. Sounds good, looks awful, weighs a ton, will probably sell it if someone wants it but until then Ill hold onto it.

2009 always wanted an explorer. Saw an Epiphone Explorer with case in a pawn shop for £250. Haggled down to £200. Loved the look of it but couldnt get on with it. Tried ebaying it but noone wanted it so held onto it and sold it this year for what I paid for it.

2011 got a Tanglewood Tricome Resonator as a present for helping organise my brothers wedding. Play it more than any other acoustic. Will keep hold of it.

2012 got a job as a sales rep, was promised commission, stupidly spent almost all of it in one go on an Epiphone Dot Deluxe in natural and gold. Really pretty and really nice to play.

2014 built/building a Partscaster because I always wanted to make my own guitar. Single hand shaped cedar body finished with truoil. Temporary strat neck until I make one, mojo pickups and a nice red tortoiseshell guard. Stoked and amazed Ive seen it through, my first offset and first completed guitar should be done by christmas. Strung it up and played it to make sure everything was straight and kept it together for a few weeks because I couldnt put it down.

2014 bought a secondhand Squier Jazz bass for £60 from an antiques dealer whose son bought it and never played. First bass, plugged into Logic and spent hours making shitty drum loops and arsing about with bassline.

Woah. That was longer than I expected...

TeaLifeTeaMind
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by TeaLifeTeaMind » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:53 pm

Ok...looks like has been a while since anyone has added, but I love the concept of this thread, SO.....

1976 Inherited my Dad's "Carlos" short scale nylon classical guitar. Should have kept as a wall hanger, but gave it away about 10 years ago.
1979 Dad bought me a cheapo Strat copy for guitar lessons. Kept long enough to rock out with Junior High friend in band "Jailbait".
1990 Rickenbacker 4001 bass. Purchased from a co-worker. Sold to a bandmate.
1990 Rickenbacker 360....my first "real" guitar. Kept until around 2001. Eventually sold to buy Shen Upright Bass.
1996 Simon and Patrick acoustic guitar. Good guitar, no idea what I sold this for....
2000 Fender Jaguar CAR + Fender Telecaster Inca Silver...sold to help fund the same $5000 Shen Upright bass. (Shoulda kept these!)
2001 G&L ASAT....stupidly sold as well. No guitars for a few years......
2005 Yamaha Acoustic gifted from my younger brother. Super high action, nearly unplayable, but I still have.....
2006 Gretsch 6003...my first vintage guitar! Scored for $10.00 at Goodwill. Needed a bridge repair. LOVE IT & still have!
2007 Fender Telecaster (80's USA Sunburst w/ Rosewood)....kept a couple years, then traded (stupidly...was a good one!)
2008 Danelectro U3 RI in black. Super loved this guitar, but sold off to buy a CP Jazzy.
2008 Fender Telecaster MIM Oly White....not half as cool as the SB USA Tele. Sold w/ no regrets.
2008 60's Epiphone Sorrento, outfitted w/ P90's. Shoulda kept this one....
2008 CP Jazzmaster, black. Loved it, but later sold to buy AVRI JM.
2009 CP Jaguar, CAR. A little heavy, but cool guitar. Sold to fund AVRI JM.
2009 AVRI JM in Sunburst..wasn't actually as good as the CP JM. The start of much flipping!!!
2009 Sold SB AVRI JM to fund AVRI Oly JM. Was a good one that I outfitted w/ Novaks, Mastery. Sold to buy something else....
2010 AVRI IBM Jaguar...really loved this, but sold to help fund vintage JM.
2011(ish) Bought 78' Fender JM from forum member, kept for a while. Sold to fund 63' Jaguar.
2013 63' Fender Jaguar refin. Was a good one, but liked the IBM Jag as much or more strangely.
2013 59' Silvertone U2, black....still have
2013 Silvertone 1454. Was cool, but needed work, never bonded with it, later sold.
2013 59' Jazzmaster needing work. Still have....
2014 Fender 62 RI Stratocaster Taos Turquoise. Was beautiful, but I don't miss it. Sold to fund ??
2014 Wurlitzer Wildcat, sunburst, heavily modded at local Guitar Center. Later sold at a loss.
2014 Wurlitzer Wildcat, Lollipop Red...traded for another Silvertone 1454 (much better one!)
2014 Silvertone 1451....still have.
2014 AVRI Inca Silver JM....still have.
2014 70's Fender Oly Mustang Bass. Was on the heavy side. Sold locally in 2015.
2014 Guild Westerly sunburst acoustic, recently sold to buy Martin 000 Mahogany acoustic
2015 AVRI Black JM...still have.
2015 60's Klira Violin bass...badass! Still have it.
2015 Guild early 70's T100D...still have it. Added Guild Bigsby.
2015 63' JM refin.....all original except for refin and refret. Still have.
2016 46' Epiphone Triumph archtop. A beauty!

Certain to be a few I have forgotten...

noisetape
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by noisetape » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:30 pm

1995 - cheap china made accoustic (gave it away)
1998 - 78' Fender Mustang (keeper)
2000 - Aria jumbo accoustic (gave it away to a friend) never liked it.
2003 - Washburn HB 35 semi hollow 84' Japan (keeper)
2008 - CIJ Jazzmaster (keeper)
2009 - CIJ Jaguar (sold)
2010 - Jack & Danny Jazzmaster copy (sold)
2010 - 97' Gibson Les Paul Special P100 (sold)
2014 - 97' Epiphone Sheraton II (keeper)
2015 - 92' MIM Strat (sold)
2015 - Partcaster Strat (oh boy this is a keeper)
https://reyreymusic.bandcamp.com/

rhythmjones
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rhythmjones » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:59 am

rhythmjones wrote:Guitars:

1988, Christmas: Black department store "guitar" with built-in amp. Don't know where it went.

1989, Christmas: Hot Pink Squier Contemporary Strat with Floyd. Left it in a rental house when it was torn down in 2005 (regret that).

2001, Started playing seriously: Fender Mexican Standard Tele, blue. Left it for a friend who later moved to California and died from a heroine overdose. MIA

2002: Epiphone Les Paul Standard Goldtop. Sold it to pay utility bill.

2005, tax return: MiM '69 Tele Thinline. Sold it to pay utility bill.

2011, gift from friend: 2000/2001 Fender Mexican Standard Tele, black. Traded it for:

2011: Fender Modern Player Telecaster Plus. Painted orange, GFS Mean-90, Esquire guard. It is now the "Esquire Jr." Still have it.

2012: VMJM highly modified. Still have it.

2013, Valentine's Day: Partscaster Tele with Mighty Mite neck and body, CS Texas Specials and all Fender USA hardware. Still have it.

2014, Father's Day: '72 Univox Coily. Still have it.

Amps:

1989: Dean Markley practice amp. MIA

1998: Pignose 7100. MIA

1999: Peavey Audition. MIA

2001: Original Fender Blues Deville 4x10. Traded for Ampeg Super Jet.

2002: Shitty Marshall solid state head & low-end 4x12 cab. Fell out of a pickup, destroyed.

2009: '90's Ampeg Super Jet. Sold to pay utility bill.

2011: Fender Pro Jr. Traded for Ampeg Gemini V.

2013: Yamaha Thirty 112. Still have it.

2013: Fender Musicmaster Bass Amp. Still have it.

2014: Ampeg Gemini V. Still have it.

2014: Yamaha Fifty 210. Still have it.
Okay. Since then I sold the MP Tele Plus, the VMJM and the partscaster Tele to fund a Classic '60's Lacquer JM and an American Vintage '69 Thinline Tele. Plus I picked up an Epiphone Pro-1 Classical.

Ampwise I sold the Fifty 210 and the Musicmaster Bass Amp. I have picked up a 1960's Vox (Thomas Organ model) Pathfinder Solid State and a Vaporizer. The Thirty 112 now belongs to the stepson as his main amp.
- Mitch

JakobLyngbo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JakobLyngbo » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:51 am

Thought I should update.
I was totally talking bullshit with the "never selling"-crap in my last post... all of those are gone, I think...

1998: Samick Strat-copy - still have it, refinished and retired at my father's house.
2000: Ibanez PF60 western - resently given to a friend.
2001: Squier Telecaster - K.I.A. on a tour in 2009, smashed by a drunk dude who fell on it. Sorely missed.
2001: J&D Les Paul Custom - Sold two years later.
2002: Squier Strat - M.I.A. on a bus after a gig in 2005.
2002: Epiphone Les Paul - borrowed from my uncle, given back two years later.
2004: Double-neck strat-copy - sold a year later due to it weighing 18 pounds. Bad back.
2004: Squier Tele - Sold two years ago after heavy modifications.
2006: Squier Strat - Sold two years ago, sorely missed.
2007: Epiphone Les Paul - M.I.A. after a Copenhagen gig.
2007: Jay Turser Jazzmaster - sold three years ago.
2009: Greco Strat 1973 - traded for a Vintage PRS-copy. Stupid. Missed.
2010: 1960's 12-string western - sold 2011.
2010: Vintage PRS-copy - sold two years ago.
2010: Tradition Telecaster Custom - sold 2012.
2011: Morris Strat 1974 - sold two years ago.
2011: No name classical guitar - sold in 2012.
2012: Gibson Les Paul Studio - sold in 2015
2012: Squier western - for the campfire-stuff, not a bad guitar. Still have it.
2012: Martin 0015 - sold in 2015.
2013: Fender Telecaster - K.I.A. broken neck, sold as parts.
2013: Ibanez Iceman - traded for pedals and cash, definitely not missed.
2013: Homemade Strat with humbuckers - traded for the Jay Turser JM in 2014.
2013: My wife's classical guitar - still have it, actually quite fine.
2014: Fender Telecaster - sold in 2015.
2014: Fender CS Stratocaster - sold in 2015.
2014: Jay Turser Jazzmaster - finaly reaquired after three years of having been missed. Sold in 2015!
2014: Eastman Mosrite-thing - sold just after getting it, not my thing.
2015: Fender CS Strat Pro - Still have it.
2015: 1970's Ibanez SG Custom - sold half a year later.
2015: Chinese Les Paul copy - Still have it.
2015: Blitz Flying V - still have it, gonna be a project.
2015: Yamaha western - on loan from a friend, very nice guitar.

I think that's it :)
I just really, really like gear...
Gear and beer.

Despot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Despot » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:18 am

Despot wrote: - The Dark time ... when guitar playing was replaced by Other Things -

2012 - Gibson ES-355 - So, I lived abroad for a few years and during my travels I didn't really have a guitar. I stopped playing and got on with living. I didn't miss it all that much, but every time I passed a guitar store I'd go in for a look around. In 2012 I moved back to Ireland and I'd a lot more time on my hands ... so I started playing again. I also started visiting guitar stores again and that's how I found the 355. I've always loved 355s ... I'm a big Ryan Adams fan and for me 355s with maestros are THE 355. One came up for sale here in a store in Ireland (a '76 Norlin era model) that I went to play and immediately fell in love with. I still have it. It's been my no.1 since 2012 ... which is when I started playing a lot again (at least an hour each day), so ... it's been played a good bit more than my others.
2012-2014 - I sort of went on a rampage with gear. I've had far too much stuff pass through my hands to go through in detail (Duo Jet, a few Teles, ES-330s, a few reissue and vintage offsets, a few LPs), but I've now settled on my keepers. I've a few more that I wouldn't term keepers (as in, for the right deal I'd sell or trade them), but these are the ones I'll never shift.

Keepers
1. 1962 Fender Jazzmaster - the one. Just ... the one.
2. 1957 Gibson J-50
3. 1960 Gibson ES-330T
4. 1972 (?) Gibson ES-345
5. 1965 Fender Jaguar (LPB beater)
So as anyone who has seen any of my NGD posts will probably have guessed by now, I have been through a few guitars...

I've now settled on a fairly stable group of guitars.
1962/3 Fender Jazzmaster - I flipped a lot of gear to get this one, including a '76 Jazzmaster that was sold to Ryan Adams last year. It's my no.1 guitar now and it rarely leaves my side. Unfairly (I think) it's now the benchmark against which all other things get measured - as in "is it as good as the Jazzmaster", even where they're fundamentally different guitars. If it's not even in the same ball park I know it's not a guitar that's going to stick.
1962 Gibson ES 345 - the no.2. I traded a lot of gear to get this one, but it's been a constant friend for about 14/15 months now. I love this guitar - and the story behind it. It was bought new in Ireland in 1963 for £200, paid off weekly for two years. I have the original sales receipt somewhere too (which I think is cool). The original owner played the hell out of it week in/week out until he was no longer able to play guitar, then I bought it. It's been through the wars and is probably the most worn 'straight' ES model Gibson I've ever seen (seriously), but it's a thing of beauty.
1965 Gibson ES330 - I ended up trading my '76 ES355 for this a while back. I'd let the ES330T go as the neck was just too blade thin, and I'd passed on this guitar the first time round (I didn't have the cash at the time). Second time around I fell in love with it - even though I love the Jazzmaster and ES345, I find myself taking the 330 when I'm meeting anyone to play music - somehow it seems to be more flexible than the others and it sounds great with the Princeton I use these days, so that's my 'away' guitar.
196x Levin parlour acoustic - it's been away for an age getting work done on it. Actually ... I should really chase that up. I wouldn't be surprised if the work is done and he's been using it for a few months on the sly!! Lovely guitar - I let go of a '47 Martin on the basis that the Levin was close enough to make it impossible to justify having such an expensive acoustic that was seldom used.
1962 Levin 350 electric - an odd one this. I picked it up from Fenderguy here on OSG - it needed a neck reset, but now that the work has been done it's a great sounding guitar. It's Guild/Gretsch shaped, but Duo Jet sized with a pair of DeArmonds that sound fantastic. It needs a pickup riser for the bridge pickup (the new neck angle is quite steep) which I must get around to doing some day soon...
1965 LPB Jaguar - the beater. Came to me in parts (no ... really) and covered in thirty years of abandonment gunk ... but under all that there was a great sounding Jaguar waiting to be recovered. I play it a bit, but it's sort of become second fiddle to...
1963/4 refin Jaguar - another beater. This has the same neck as my jazzmaster (wide/flat with a bit of heft to it).
1978 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe - a strange one this. I've never been a LP guy - and how I've tried. But the day I first played this guitar I ended up sitting in the back of the store for an hour, happily playing away without thinking too much about it. It struck me that a Deluxe would be ideal for me, as it's a LP for people who hate LPs! Unusual for the time period, this one is a reasonable weight, single piece body and a decent neck profile. I'm not 100% sure that this is a keeper, but I'll certainly enjoy finding out.
1976/7 Fender Telecaster Custom - an absolute joy of a telecaster. I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that I won't own a '60s Tele ... or at least it's going to take me some time to get one. But, playing this, I wonder why I'd ever be tempted by one. A big old beefy neck, a great sounding bridge pickup and WRHB ... what's not to love. This particular guitar has been around the block - it used to belong to a relatively famous Irish musician who traded it for some god awful guitar in the 1990s (something like a Levinson blade!). The guy who bought it then traded it to me last year - in, I must admit, a trade that was probably better for him than for me. But I loved this guitar ... from the moment I played it I knew I had to get it. Everything about it felt and sounded right.
2013 Collings D1A - I've owned this guitar twice ... I picked it up again before Christmas. I had a moment of madness the first time round and traded this against a 1947 Martin. As soon as I made the trade I regretted it, but lived with it never expecting the Collings to come back around again. But it did ... and I pounced on it. I've had a few acoustics over the years - some old Gibsons, old Martins and newer boutique things like a Lowden. The Collings is by far the nicest sounding acoustic guitar I've ever owned, or played - I've played this one against other D1s or D1As and this is heads about others I've tried. I'm not sure why, but this is the acoustic guitar I'd take with me if I was to be marooned on a desert island.

And I think that's it. The whittling down has been harsh and selective, but I've got to a place now where I have far fewer instruments than I used to have ... but I'd find it hard to let any of them go. Looking at the list above, the Deluxe is probably the only one I'm not sure about ... but even then I may hold on to it.

Haustnótt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Haustnótt » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:05 am

1978: 50s Harmony nylon string, a gift from my aunt. So I started playing, at age eight.
1981: 60s Levin 00 sized steel string, a gift from my uncle. Beautiful little guitar. Destroyed by my then girlfriend in 1990. Will never forgive her.
1983: No-name hard-tail Strat copy.
1991: Awful Kramer superstrat, Floyd Rose and no bass whatsoever. Kept it for a week, then returned and bought
1991: Awful Cort ES335 copy. Worst pickups ever, low-end passive EMG clones. Changed to Ibanez Super 58s, became playable, but still a lousy guitar. Gave it to my brother.
1991: Washburn Black Eagle 1980. Now we're talking! Was broke and had to sell it to a friend in 1995 (too cheaply), but got it back for free (!) in 2015. Great guitar, but heavy as hell.
1992: Squier Stratocaster. Man, that sucked. Was misled by 80s Squiers being decent guitars. Not so in the early 90s. Later used the neck for self-built Stratocaster with SD Vintage flats and decent hardware. Not too bad.
1993: Vester Stratocaster. Awful, awful guitar. Looked good, but useless piece of crap.
1994: Squier Silver Series Stratocaster: Finally, a decent Stratocaster. Changed pickups, and it was great, actually. Still have it.
1994: Alvarez Anniversary acoustic. Very good. My main acoustic.
2000: Gibson Les Paul Special 1974. Great sounding guitar, but never felt quite right. Stolen in 2005, I think.
2003: Fender 72 Thinline Telecaster: My main guitar for many years. Sounds and plays great. Lake Placid Blue, which is not my favourite colour.
2005: Ibanez Jet King 4: Meh. Those pickups are dead, and the neck is just how I dislike a guitar neck.
2015: Fender Telecaster Baja CP: Yes. This is good. A subtle treble bleed, a lower value tone capacitor and a slight tweak in the S1 circuitry made it the ultimate Telecaster for me.
2015 Epiphone Sheraton II: Late 80s model, when they were actually quite good. Upgraded with Gibson 490 pickups, sounds and feels similar to a contemporary ES335, I'd say.
2015: Ibanez AF125. Big hollowbody. Fun to play, but could not fall in love with pickups (too dark) or finish (to flashy, amber on quilted maple). Sold after a few weeks for more than I bought it for.
2015: Squier VM Jazzmaster: This is confusing. Suddenly I understand that I am a Jazzmaster guy. After upgrading the vibrato unit, replacing the tone controls with audio taper pots (and fixing some shoddy wiring), isolating the cavities with copper foil and replacing the bridge with a Staytrem, this guitar has all I have ever wanted in a guitar. How can it be so cheap? At 45, I finally found my guitar. Too bad I am not in a band anymore. That will change, I have plans for becoming an active musician again.
Last edited by Haustnótt on Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:36 am, edited 4 times in total.
Byrði betri berrat maðr brautu at en sé mannvit mikit

fuzzking
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fuzzking » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:12 am

Geez how do you guys manage to keep track of all these dates? :wtf:
Nobody exists on purpose.

Haustnótt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Haustnótt » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:18 am

fuzzking wrote:Geez how do you guys manage to keep track of all these dates?
Autism.
Byrði betri berrat maðr brautu at en sé mannvit mikit

Arthon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Arthon » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:26 am

I had alot less guitars then most of you. I tend to keep my guitars and swipe amps instead.

Guitars :
2012 - Fender Custom Shop ’58 Jazzmaster
2011 - Fender AVRI Jazzmaster
2013 - Fender Custom Shop Telecaster Pro
2014 - Squier J Mascis Jazzmaster
2010 - Epiphone Casino Elitist
2014 - Seagull excursion Parlor
2013 - Simon & Patrick Woodland Pro folk

Sold guitars :
MIM Fender Strat with alot of upgrades (first proper guitar)
Fender Jaguar Special HH (First offset, I sometimes miss it, but I didn't play it much when I discovered Jazzmasters)
Squier Vintage Modified 70’s Jazz Bass
Guild 30RE
Red cheap Yamaha electric guitar (first guitar)
Cheap Segovia acoustic (first acoustic, didn't sold it but broke the headstock twice. It end up in the garbage)
The Blues Cartographer
(sorry for the spelling, I speak french)

mikeyjames56
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mikeyjames56 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:42 am

Ooof, this thread depresses me thinking about what I've sold. But here we go...

All dates are speculative, I have no idea about anything actually.

06 - Purchased an SX SPB-57 P-bass with a maple neck and flame veneer in sunburst. First bass, still have it and it's SOLID. Needs new pots, maybe new pickups for the hell of it. The nut is broken at the A slot, but it doesn't affect tuning or anything. This thing out-tanks everything I've ever had or ever will have. I've over-tuned it when I first changed the strings - EADG, but a full step higher (if that's how you'd refer it). That probably should have destroyed the neck but no, it's straight as an arrow, plays wonderfully, it's a rock. I put ashtrays on it for the 50s look and it's love.

07 - Purchased an SX SJM-62 in sunburst. Wanted a Kurt Cobain style without the price. It eventually got a dimazario super distortion P90sized humbucker. The jazzmaster bridge was removed and it was re-drilled for a TOM. The action is way too high even with a shimmed neck, might go back to a modified mustang bridge after doweling the body and re-drilling once again. I replaced the super distortion with it's original P90. It's currently in pieces and in storage, awaiting new tuners, new nut, new vibrato (the lefty one is going on a partsmaster). It's dinged up on the wings, but I really love the shape. Will never sell this thing.

07 - Purchased an SX acoustic for a guitar class in highschool, since they didn't offer a lefty model to those that had to rent. It was loud for an acoustic but not particularly great sounding.

08 - Received an Epiphone Thunderbird for christmas from my bass playing stepfather. I lusted after one for so long after seeing John Entwhistle play one during the quadrophenia era of The Who (one of my most favorite bands). It has been flipped, new nut cut, re-strung and the strap button moved to the lower (now top) horn. It's dark and muddy and a great compliment to the P-bass.

09 - Bought another SX SJM-62 in candy apple red.

10 - Sold the SX acoustic to a good guy buying it for his wife. Still don't have an acoustic to play, maybe one day I'll fix that. Also sold the red SJM to a kid who also wanted a JM style guitar but not the lefty JM price.

10 - Refinished the SX P-bass in duplicolor Wimbledon white, with a dull gloss finish. I stripped the neck of it's orange tan with citrus-strip and the body with a heat gun. Replaced the white pickguard with a 3-ply black guard, kept the ashtrays on it. I was going after John Entwistle's slab bodied bass look, in general terms. Black/white/chrome - still in love with this bass

11 - Purchased an Epiphone Dot Studio in worn brown. This was my first intense project and involved several modifications. I flipped the electronics, replaced all the black hardware with chrome, gave it a gibson dirty fingers in the bridge, rewired for one volume knob, drilled the neck for white dots, refinished it in a creamy white color with a black racing stripe a la Tom Delonge. This is essentially my No.1 guitar, but it needs a setup, and it's stuck at my parents a few states away.

12 - Ordered a Jazzmaster body from timbo81 on ebay (now defunct) for a left-handed blue competition stripe project. The body is painted and sitting at the parents in florida, but I'm now accumulating parts with every paycheck. I really want to do this project and get my first real/but not fender JM.

13 - Bought a Squier VM Jazz bass in sunburst. I didn't bond with it particularly well for one reason or another.

15 - Sold the VM Jazz bass to another lefty friend of my father, he loves it and gigs it all the time, I'm glad it went to a good home. I won't sell an instrument unless I know it's going to a good home. I'll get another Jazz bass at some point in the future, maybe a MIM standard or something (I don't have anything that says 'fender' on it, wouldn't mind having that just because).

15 - A friend of mine gave me a MIM midnight wine stratocaster, right handed. I played it Jimi-style for a while but couldn't bond with it. I sold it to another friend of my father's, with permission of the friend that gave it to me, to help pay for moving from florida to texas.

15/16 - Right before the new year I ordered an affinity telecaster and vox pathfinder 10 amp - my first guitar in over 8 months. I just replaced the bridge with a brass barrel setup and it sounds awesome. Not sure if I'm imagining it but I think it sounds better. The smaller vintage bridge exposes part of the route for the bridge pickup but I've gotten over that pretty quick. I've wanted a telecaster ever since seeing The Gaslight Anthem live and not having a guitar when I moved was a great excuse.

2016 and beyond - I need to finish that damn blue partsmaster, and I'm thinking of the next project already. I'm going to play around with modding the telecaster and accumulating parts, that should keep me busy.

spacecadet
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by spacecadet » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:18 am

1986 - Cort P-bass copy - bought new at a local store, sold on consignment at another local store (for I think $50?) around 1991.

1987 - Gibson J-30 acoustic - given to me by a girl who I think liked me. I kept it for many years even though it was really beat up, finally sold it on Ebay in around 2000. I somewhat regret this. I also am just now realizing that the length of time since I've sold this guitar is now longer than the length of time I owned it. It felt like I was dragging that thing around with me forever.

2007 - Fender Japan JM66-88 Jazzmaster - my first guitar of any kind in seven years, bought new from Ishibashi. Still have it, but it's fully upgraded and basically the only original parts on it are the neck/body and tuners.

2009 - Squier Standard Strat - bought new as a shared "practice guitar" with my wife. She doesn't ever use it so it's mine now, still have it.

2012? - Epiphone Thunderbird Bass - bought used from Guitar Center, didn't like it, sold it on Ebay shortly thereafter. It was too neck-heavy and had weak output. It did look cool, though. I had one of the silverburst ones; the color is what made me want it.

2013 - Fender AVRI Jazzmaster - 10 year anniversary gift from my wife, bought new from a store in Chicago (though not Chicago Music Exchange; I can't remember the name offhand). Still have it. I obviously could never sell this one even if I wanted to (but I don't).

2014 - SCANDAL Squier signature guitars, all three of them including the Stratomaster, Telecaster HH and Jazz Bass. Unfortunately I sold all of them on Ebay in 2015. They, uh, caused me some problems.

2015 - Fender Japan JM62-BD/MH Jazz Bass - the "BD" means it came with a Badass II bridge stock, and the MH means matching headstock. Bought "used" from a store in Japan, but when I got it, it was clearly new with all hang tags, paperwork and film still on the pickguard. Still have this, love it. It's a beautiful bass and it plays and sounds great.

2015 - Fender AV65 Jazzmaster - bought new from Dave's Guitar Shop. This is a Firemist Silver model. I still have it, though it's on the block if anyone's interested. My post in the FS section is still valid. I think I just have too many Jazzmasters.

2015 - 1966 Fender Mustang - bought used (obviously) from Ebay. Cleaned it up, replaced the nut, deoxified the switches, bought a new trem arm, set it up properly and it looks, plays and sounds great now. Of course I still have it. I really love this guitar.

2016 - SCANDAL Squier Telecaster - I'm replacing *one* of the three guitars I sold last year. Already bought and paid for, just waiting for the March re-release.

Sid Nitzerglobin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Sid Nitzerglobin » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:23 am

Update to my guitars:
1) 1990 - '80s Washburn KC-40V - Bought it from a high school classmate, got me a pretty decent starter guitar and helped him fund his Les Paul Standard
2) 1993 - '92 Gibson Les Paul Studio - Got it before heading off to music school, it's nothing all that flashy but I still looove the feel of this guitar despite the headstock having been broken and repaired 3 times over it's lifespan
3) 1994 - '63 Fender Jazzmaster - Found this in a local vintage shop at an attainable price, probably because they thought it was a parts master w/ the body finish stripped. Found out earlier this year the only replacements/changes from stock seem to be the pots they replaced when the took it into inventory
4) 1994 - Hofner Classical - Picked this up from a room mate at the Recording Workshop for a Boss tuner and a 6 pack of beer
5) 2013 - 2009 Gibson SG Special - Sold in 2015
6) 2014 - 2013 Ibanez RC320 - Sold in 2015
7) 2014 - '98 Gibson Blueshawk - Sold in 2015
2014 - 2014 Yamaha FG730S - Seems to have fulfilled my jones for a "real" acoustic admirably at an incredibly affordable price
9) 2014 - mid '90s G&L ASAT Special - might be moving it along in the near future

new stuff in alphabetical order:
2015 Duesenberg Caribou - Black - An amazing instrument. If I can overcome the self conscious douchey feeling taking it out of the house and keep it, it seems like it will be a forever keeper even though I will probably never be worthy

2008 Epiphone Wilshire - Alpine White - project guitar that wound up one of my current overall favorites
2012 Epiphone Wildkat Black Royale - selling

1998 Fender Tele Standard - Burst - selling
2007(?) Fender Pawn Shop '72 - Surf Green - really great guitar, especially for the money and after replacing the Enforcer w/ a Lollar Novel T
2008 Fender Jazz Bass Standard - Mystic Blue
2010 Fender Classic Player '72 Tele Deluxe - Mocha - might be selling and transplanting guts/hardware to nicer body/neck
2013 Fender Lee Ranaldo Jazzmaster - Saphire Blue Transparent - probably equal to the best modern production Fenders I've tried, forever keeper
2013 Fender Modern Player Tele Thinline Deluxe - Burst - project guitar that turned out pretty great, might wind up transplanting the guts/hardware to a nicer body and neck at some point
2014 Fender Baja Tele - Black/Yellow Burst - great guitar, my go to for standard tele fun
2015 Fender Classic Series 50's Strat - Jet Stream Blue - another great MiM Fender and a "real" Strat that I love

1984(?) G&L SC1 - Fullerton Red - this one totally blows me away and will probably have to be pried from my cold dead hands
2014 G&L Fallout - Belair Green
2013 G&L ASAT Classic Bluesboy 90 - Tobacco Burst - sold
2014 G&L Tribute Comanche - Black - sold

1970 Gibson Melody Maker D w/ Vibrola - Pelham Blue
2001 Gibson SG Junior - Ebony
2007 Gibson Melody Maker (flatop/RI LP sytle) - Black - sold
2014 Gibson ES-339 Studio - Vintage Burst - Added a B3 and roller tom and it's really smooth guitar, might wind up selling it if I hang onto the Caribou
2014 Gibson Melody Maker (carved top LP style) - Manhattan Midnight - sold

2012 Gretsch G5135 CVT - Cherry Stain
2013 Gretsch G5655T-CB - Black

1980s(?) Odessa (FujiGen) LP copy - Tobacco Burst - project guitar that I just started on

2014 Squier Bass VI - Burst

2008 Taylor Classic Solidbody - Black - really well built guitar that is a joy to play, the minihums can sound absolutely amazing through the right amp

Looking at the list, apparently I've learned to stop worrying and love the GAS over the past couple years :D I guess you can't take it w/ you.

Flurko
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Flurko » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:46 pm

Oooh, never did that list !
Soo...

2005 - Yamaha CG-101-M Classical, I believe. Brand new, my first guitar of my own, a gift from my parents.
2006 - '92 (I think) black Epiphone G-310, still-kinda-belongs to my brother. He got it in 96-97. Upgraded since with a pseudo-Bigsby & GFS pickups.
2008 - Jim Harley Les Paul Custom copy, made of hyper cheap plywood, but a very fun guitar, now has strat pickups and a greater length of string behind the bridge + a pickup there too.
2008 - Samick (IIRC) Dreadnought accoustic, sounded very dead. Traded it some months afterwards for
2009 - Stagg Bass. Still not a great instrument, but I prefered a cheap bass to a cheap accoustic. Has a new homemade body, made from the ashes of a 30€ children's guitar (not mentioned)
2010 - Fender Jazzmaster, trans white CIJ body, Mexican strat neck, US tremolo and Eastwood Airline pickups. Bought it from koyl, still my #1. (I acquired a Stagg mandolin just before, but doesn't count since it's not a guitar and I can't play it)
2014 - Jim Harley 8-string. I should play it more.

Also built two Yuri Landman instruments, but they're in various pieces now. And I just got a clarinet.

grapesoda
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by grapesoda » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:30 am

I love this thread!

2000 - Squier Affinity Stratocaster (black with white pickguard)
My parents sold it to another family without telling me! But it was okay 'cause a day or two later at Christmas, I got...

2001 - Washburn WI64 (red)
Lent it to a good friend a few years ago, with no intention of ever taking it back.

2005 - Washburn classical
Not sure of the model. Bought it as I was studying classical guitar. It's been in its case in my parents' house for years now, waiting to be sold.

2008 - Fender Mustang (Olympia CIJ)
It's back home where my family lives, probably being played by one of my brothers. I don't think I'll sell it anytime soon!

2011 - Squier Bronco Bass (red)
Also languishing back home :| I miss it.

2014 - Nameless acoustic
A little concert-size thing I got for 40 bucks when I moved here. I gave it away when I bought...

2015 - Fender JM/HO (Black)
It's sitting righ beside me :)