Fender Champion 600 reissue reissue!?

Make it loud here.
parry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Fender Champion 600 reissue reissue!?

Post by parry » Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:44 pm

furtherpale wrote:started life as the (identical... all internals were branded fender) gretsch equivilant.... which just had a yellow tweed cloth cover instead

Do I need that?
Nope.

Is it giving me "bad" thoughts?
:w00t:
Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity.

umalt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by umalt » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:07 am

Hey, I had one of these a few years ago as my first tube amp; though I sold it because I wanted something with a bit more volume (a Mustang II!). Now that I have a good cadre of amps, though no Fenders I'm thinking of returning to this little guy.

Now back when I had it I remember reading a thing or two saying that the amp's circuitry isn't based on a real tweed Champ, but rather the schematic of a blackface one. Could anybody shed light about whether I am misremembering something or if it's true? I want to know because I actually like the blackface sound better than the tweed, so that would be a major factor in whether or not I consider grabbing one.

furtherpale
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by furtherpale » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:57 am

umalt wrote:Hey, I had one of these a few years ago as my first tube amp; though I sold it because I wanted something with a bit more volume (a Mustang II!). Now that I have a good cadre of amps, though no Fenders I'm thinking of returning to this little guy.

Now back when I had it I remember reading a thing or two saying that the amp's circuitry isn't based on a real tweed Champ, but rather the schematic of a blackface one. Could anybody shed light about whether I am misremembering something or if it's true? I want to know because I actually like the blackface sound better than the tweed, so that would be a major factor in whether or not I consider grabbing one.

that is my understanding... before the lift it was very blackface-ee... and after the tone stack lift, it was more tweedy (breaks up 2/3-1/2 way up instead of at 3/4's) there is a MASSIVE thread on TDPRI about all the mods etc.
Sorry - I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am...

I _ATE_NewJersey
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by I _ATE_NewJersey » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:19 am

So I just wanted to update you all that I pulled the stock tubes and replaced them with a JJ 12AX7 and a Tung Sol 6V6GT.

The sound is a creamier now, there's a bit of a volume boost and the breakup and distortion are certainly more pleasing. It's nowhere near as brittle as before, so I'm gonna hold onto the stock speaker for now.

Frankly, I'm loving this little amp for tearing it up at home!
Lurv.

Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Danley » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:38 pm

I really did not like mine until I did the mod to remove the tone stack and add a coupling cap.

Now I love it. I got the amp with upgraded tubes, sovtek and EH? Even with those tubes, prior to mod it was very quiet, my guitars with lower output pickups struggled to get it to break up with volume maxed. After the mod it moves into breakup much quicker and is much louder, but retains the dynamic, touch sensitive feel I love about it.

The tone stack mod woke it up to an amazing degree, even with the stock speaker and grill cloth. Sort of want to build a separate cabinet for it with a better/larger speaker and see how I like that.
King Buzzo: I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!