Dressing Room's Charcoal Frost: Too Blue?

Got questions or suggestions? Want to show the world your dressing room creations? Post 'em here!
Grigori
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Dressing Room's Charcoal Frost: Too Blue?

Post by Grigori » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:31 pm

Actually, I REALLY like this color , but it seems more like the Gunmetal Blue Fender did back in the late 80s than what I recall Charcoal Frost Metallic looking like. Am I off base here?

Gavanti
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Dressing Room's Charcoal Frost: Too Blue?

Post by Gavanti » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:45 pm

I was thinking the same thing, and I really like gunmetal blue as well. There's a Zaftig out there somewhere in GMB with a black guard that is pretty stunning.

beauzooka
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by beauzooka » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:20 pm

Puisheen of Mike & Mike's Guitar Bar posted this tidbit about CFM on instagram yesterday:

"The dressing room gets a lot closer to the actual color than most CS or other builds I see; Charcoal Frost isn't simply another gunmetal, but darker with a slight blue tint that seems to be lost in reproduction."

Grigori
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Grigori » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:28 pm

Hmm. Maybe there was greater-than-usual variation in vintage CFM models, because the ones I recall (from LONG ago, mind you) were either a dark gray or had a somewhat greenish tint (no doubt from the clear coat).

beauzooka
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by beauzooka » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:43 am

Thank you for getting me thinking about this Grigori. I have a '65 Jag that I am going to get refined in CFM in a few months and I need to discuss with my guy what he uses first so I know what I'm getting into. I like the idea of a blue or green tint in CFM, if it is indeed authentic looking.

daCod
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by daCod » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:51 am

posted this in my own build/mod thread as i will eventually be going CFM for my jag.

correct back in the day fresh off the 1960's guitar shop wall condition it's definitely a greenish grey color. it's the clear that ages and alters the look. evidence of this is shown below in a pic i found online. guitarpaintguys will end up painting it for me. they sent 4 of their colors for samples since i am after 'correct' charcoal frost. their charcoal frost looks a bit teal/green in person. gray yes but more emerald gray. black diamond in certain light & from certain angles just looks black. gunmetal is cool but too silver. the dark gray metallic is close to the danocaster jag i've lusted over forever. after more digging around i honestly think their charcoal frost is pretty close to what the original fender color looked like before any nitro aging.

top to bottom: charcoal frost metallic, black diamond metallic, dark gray metallic, gunmetal metallic

left to right: gunmetal met, dark gray met, black diamond met, charcoal frost met

img's found in threads...

and a DIY compilation...
Image[/quote]
your paranoia must be weapons-grade.
“I have terrible hearing trouble. I have unwittingly helped to invent and refine a type of music that makes its principal proponents deaf.” ~ PT

Grigori
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Grigori » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:06 pm

Those are VERY helpful, daCod; thanks for posting. I'm a little confused, though: in the first one, the CFM looks bluer, but in the second, it's the gunmetal that looks bluer. Did you mis-label them?
daCod wrote:
top to bottom: charcoal frost metallic, black diamond metallic, dark gray metallic, gunmetal metallic

left to right: gunmetal met, dark gray met, black diamond met, charcoal frost met