LP, Tele, Jazz Mashup. "the Preacher". FINISHED on page 7.

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
AWSchmit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: A long overdue project. Les Paul/Tele/Jazz Mashup. CBS H

Post by AWSchmit » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:01 pm

I think I'm leaning back toward this and away from the light blue metallic:

Another little text update... Sorry, I know how you guy like pictures.
I got in two blade switches from forum member Shadoweclipse13. Thanks buddy! so I've got all parts that I need. no neck in the mail yet though.

Since I never use the tone control I decided to wire up a Bazz Fuss circuit to a 250K pot where the tone knob would normally go along with an on-off-on mini toggle. I hope I'll have room for a battery in there... We'll see. If not I'll swap out the plate and put in a tone instead. I also plan on using the 5-way blade switch and wiring in a piezo element on the neck pickup slot of the 5-way since I have so many of those elements and I've never put on in a guitar. if it ends up not working out I'll swap for the 3-way and get rid of the piezo elements.

Pictures next time... I promise.

;)
I finally finish building a guitar, go to play it, and then remember, "oh yeah, that's right. I suck at playing... Why did I build another guitar again?"

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:05 pm

Neat project ideas! I really dig the built-in fuzz and the piezo pickup idea! I'm definitely subscribed for the funky stuff 8)
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

NoiseNoiseNoise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Location: Hertfordshire, England, Britain, UK, Europe, Earth, Outer Eastern Rim, Western Spiral Arm.

Post by NoiseNoiseNoise » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:57 pm

Like the colour.
This is a signature. If you're reading this you've gone past the end of my post.

AWSchmit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AWSchmit » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:34 pm

I got the control plate pretty well wired apart from the switch connections. I put in a treble bleed circuit on the volume as well.

I also used some enamel paint I had laying around to coat the bazz fuss circuit as an attempt from any of the leads or connections from grounding out on anything.

I finally finish building a guitar, go to play it, and then remember, "oh yeah, that's right. I suck at playing... Why did I build another guitar again?"

dmb
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dmb » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:09 pm

I like the onboard fuzz idea. Are you planning to use a switching jack to disconnect the battery when the guitar is unplugged?

AWSchmit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AWSchmit » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:05 am

dmb wrote:I like the onboard fuzz idea. Are you planning to use a switching jack to disconnect the battery when the guitar is unplugged?
Hum. I hadn't thought about that but I should. Thanks for the heads up.

Aws

Edit: I've thought about it and remembered that when I put this into an enclosure I did you a Stereo input jack to cut the power, so I will do the same to this. Otherwise I'll eat through batteries way too quickly. Thanks again for the reminder.

Steadyriot.
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Steadyriot. » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:30 am

AWSchmit wrote:I think I'm leaning back toward this and away from the light blue metallic:

Another little text update... Sorry, I know how you guy like pictures.
I got in two blade switches from forum member Shadoweclipse13. Thanks buddy! so I've got all parts that I need. no neck in the mail yet though.

Since I never use the tone control I decided to wire up a Bazz Fuss circuit to a 250K pot where the tone knob would normally go along with an on-off-on mini toggle. I hope I'll have room for a battery in there... We'll see. If not I'll swap out the plate and put in a tone instead. I also plan on using the 5-way blade switch and wiring in a piezo element on the neck pickup slot of the 5-way since I have so many of those elements and I've never put on in a guitar. if it ends up not working out I'll swap for the 3-way and get rid of the piezo elements.

Pictures next time... I promise.
Oooh do the red burst with the metallic red maybe?

"If someone duetted with a Bald Eagle, they could rule the Country charts from here to eternity." ~shadowplay

AWSchmit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AWSchmit » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:48 am

Steadyriot. wrote:
Oooh do the red burst with the metallic red maybe?

I was thinking about doing that. Do the metallic red first and then a metallic black around the edge.

noisepunk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by noisepunk » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:46 pm

I realize you've already committed, but a tele bass plate would've looked nice with the Les Paul's outline.

Great concept though, This should look sweet. Your mock ups make me wish you were making this out of plywood with a super cheesy burst, like a cheap silvertone acoustic :D

AWSchmit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AWSchmit » Thu May 12, 2016 8:43 am

Got my neck in from Warmoth:

I decided to try their 10" to 16" compound radius as well as their Vintage/Modern construction. I think I might be falling out of love with the straight 7.25 radius so we'll see... I kept my usual Boat Neck profile and vintage sized frets though. Those are a must.

My body is still basically a rough cut plank, so I need to get moving on that.

AWSchmit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AWSchmit » Sun May 15, 2016 4:00 pm

Got the body mostly routed today. I still need to route the edges and neck pocket though.

Aws

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Sun May 15, 2016 4:13 pm

Awww... yeah... :D 8)
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

PixMix
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PixMix » Sun May 15, 2016 8:15 pm

Great project AWS! St Blues is what I thought as soon as I saw the mock ups. I like the shape a lot. As for the color, since you already have a maple neck, I would star thinking along these lines : do you want a contrast between the neck and the body or do you want similarity in luminance / lightness? This would steer you toward a more particular aesthetics prior to even thinking about specific color.

Your maple neck is going to be light even if you go for some sort of an amber tint coat. This means that, if you prefer contrast you should look into darker colors, and the red you have posted would qualify there, but so would charcoal type gray tones (there's a ton of them from Duplicolor), dark greens, dark blues etc. For similarity you should look into the light blue variants you posted, sage green type, light gray, vintage blond etc.

I personally love some contrast and punch in guitars, especially Fender based designs, but this is just a personal preference.

My idea of similarity (no contrast):

My idea of contrast:

AWSchmit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AWSchmit » Thu May 26, 2016 8:11 pm

Since the body was made from eight pieces of pine with thirty grain and lots of seems I gave it a long sanding sealer bather and let it drip dry. I'll give it a few days before sanding it back.

I also sprayed some sealer on the neck. Mainly just to lock in/out moisture and keep the wood from getting stained from handling.

AWSchmit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AWSchmit » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:52 am

I keep coming back to this project and tinkering with it. I keep thinking that I won;t be able to get a great looking finish on this thing due to all the seems in this 9 piece pine body, but I don't want to scrap it and make a new one, so I am considering do a finish similar to the paisley Tele. But instead of wall paper use a cool looking gift wrap paper. Does anyone know any good ways of gluing thin paper very securely without making it wrinkle at all?