Squier unveils The Cribs signature

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
starflower
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Squier unveils The Cribs signature

Post by starflower » Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:55 am

Working with the wife (i.e. money manager) to join Pat and the gang who have ordered one :)

In case I missed any mentioning of things so far: For those of you who have taken the plunge, perchance could you check under the pickguard for me regarding the pickup routing? I have a pair of super-bright TV Jones Magnatrons that I have been considering tossing into a shortscaler with wobble bar, and no doubt the neck position of Mr. Jarman's signature is something I'd like to consider thus far. Cheers!
Sound Director & Composer at Sangwha / General Manager at Moollon Guitars. https://soundcloud.com/andi-roselund

Oyster Boy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Oyster Boy » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:59 am

These are gorgeous instruments! Ryan's mustang looks beautiful in that color.

I've been a massive Cribs fan for almost a decade now, and I have to say they have killer taste in gear.

I honestly love that squire has been dramatically stepping up the quality of their instruments recently. The world really needs affordable instruments that aren't garbage and can stand up to the rigors of a gigging musician, and they are really delivering.
Last edited by Oyster Boy on Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

smalahove
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by smalahove » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:13 am

starflower wrote:Working with the wife (i.e. money manager) to join Pat and the gang who have ordered one

In case I missed any mentioning of things so far: For those of you who have taken the plunge, perchance could you check under the pickguard for me regarding the pickup routing? I have a pair of super-bright TV Jones Magnatrons that I have been considering tossing into a shortscaler with wobble bar, and no doubt the neck position of Mr. Jarman's signature is something I'd like to consider thus far. Cheers!
This is not my pic, I took a screenshot of a FB post (JM&Jag group iirc). If the owner of the pic sees this, just let me know if you want it taken down - or credited :-)

Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pacafeliz » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:58 am

oh, interesting, thanks!
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.

starflower
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by starflower » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:41 pm

Thank you kindly for that, smalahove. Sure answers the question!
Sound Director & Composer at Sangwha / General Manager at Moollon Guitars. https://soundcloud.com/andi-roselund

Dan_Q
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dan_Q » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:59 am

Trigger Pulled. I just couldn't resist, knowing that if another run is done it may not be available in Burgandy Mist! Thanks for all the cool info on here about it from Gary, offset guitar guru's and fellow purchaser's opinions- it all helped make up my mind.

I'm a fully grown adult- but- to justify the cost I've had a word with family and they are chipping in cash for birthday and xmas- so when it arrives i get to test it then put it away til xmas day. I feel like a kid again....... :whistle: ::) :unsure: :-[

loungelife
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by loungelife » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:48 am

Well, my Jarman showed up from Thomann in good time. Less than a week for only 30e in shipping costs. That was from Germany to Utah.

My initial impression (3-4 hours of play) is that I love this guitar. The body is interesting in that it is mustang in size, but Jaguar in shape. The finish is amazing. Love the color. Pickup wise, I'm a big fan of the single coil neck/humbucker bridge combo. I usually mod my guitars into this configuration. Nice to have out of the box. I'm digging the humbucker, but I will probably be replacing the neck pickup with either an AV65 (most likely as I have an extra sitting around) or SD Antiquity 2 soon. I might also swap the kill switch for a 3 way pickup selector but for now I'm not worried about that. Also of note, mine came with 2 string trees.

One thing I am unsure on is the fret size. They are listed as "Vintage Style". They feel slightly bigger than the frets on my Jmarr Jag neck. Not a big deal, but might be of interest. Maybe someone has exact specs.

Thanks for designing a cool guitar right up my alley Jarman!

Here's some pics:

Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pacafeliz » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:12 am

we should start up a Squier Jarman owners registry, to see where they all ended up... only 150, then? :derp:
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.

smalahove
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by smalahove » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:16 am

Pacafeliz wrote:we should start up a Squier Jarman owners registry, to see where they all ended up... only 150, then?
If I'm not mistaken, that is the # of guitars that were available to the UK. Add to that those that were sold in other euro countries.

caliban
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by caliban » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:12 am

smalahove wrote:
starflower wrote:Working with the wife (i.e. money manager) to join Pat and the gang who have ordered one

This is not my pic, I took a screenshot of a FB post (JM&Jag group iirc). If the owner of the pic sees this, just let me know if you want it taken down - or credited :-)
Interesting picture, thank you for sharing.

Jan Deal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jan Deal » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:55 am

I sold my vintage modified Jaguar and picked up Ryan Jarman signature.

https://instagram.com/p/BMeX4IqgfbI/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

First impressions are very positive. It is definitely more Mustang than Jaguar, which suits me fine. I've had 2 Jags and sold them both, whilst I've kept my '69 RI Mustang for over ten years.

I'll probably simplify the switching to just a 3 way switch, I will have to rehearse and gig with the guitar to get an idea on how the pickups suit me.
Seas, Starry : Fuzz / Pop / Noises

"Gorgeous, soaring waves of guitars which feedback and squall deliriously with fluid and organic rhythms”

www.seasstarry.bandcamp.com

Jan Deal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jan Deal » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:19 am

I took the guitar along to band practice tonight and it has given me a much better idea of what the guitar is good at. Essentially it plays like a Mustang, but sounds like a Jaguar. More specifically, it has a very similar sound to a Blacktop Jaguar that another band member has. We switched out the bridge pickup on his Jag to a Seymour Duncan JB and the Jarman's humbucker sounds very similar. The neck pickup was a little bit screechy.

The tremolo works, which is a godsend as I do tend to use it alot. I became aware early on that the stock strings were not to my taste, so I'll be changing them out before I play it again.

I will definitely be simplifying the switching, I have no use for a killswitch or out of phase options and I do not think it is practical having the sliders. I like to switch pickups quickly, and it just isn't possible with the setup. Good that the sliders are recessed, so no hitting my fingers or switching the guitar off.

I am delighted with this guitar, as it is so much better than the VM Jaguar I sold.

"Gorgeous, soaring waves of guitars which feedback and squall deliriously with fluid and organic rhythms”

tkachuk07
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tkachuk07 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:13 am

HB-102 Duncan Designed is a JB clone made in Asia. Those VM Jaguar single coils have been known to be microphonic at times & squeal playing loud. Some have actually gone through the process of dipping them in wax & fixed the squealing or you can replace the pickup.

Jan Deal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jan Deal » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:55 am

tkachuk07 wrote:HB-102 Duncan Designed is a JB clone made in Asia. Those VM Jaguar single coils have been known to be microphonic at times & squeal playing loud. Some have actually gone through the process of dipping them in wax & fixed the squealing or you can replace the pickup.
This makes an awful lot of sense!

I am looking to get a Creamery wide range humbucker for the bridge position, but I am not sure what to do with the neck pickup. It is too microphonic for gigging and rehearsals, so I would be open to recommendations of a low output single coil. Something bell like and chimy would be right up my street.

I gigged it at the weekend and it was fine, no tuning problems or accidentally switching it off mid-song. I got a few compliments on the colour and one guy was very excited to see a Ryan Jarman Squier in person!

caliban
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by caliban » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:05 am

Last weekend I waxed my first pickup ever, worked out pretty well, so I can recommend trying that. I used pure parrafin, no beeswax, and followed some tips that I found online.