LP, Tele, Jazz Mashup. "the Preacher". FINISHED on page 7.

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
AWSchmit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: LP, Tele, Jazz Mashup. Paper finish. CBS Head.

Post by AWSchmit » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:33 am

I had a little time yesterday evening, so I put a few parts on the body and checked alignment and whatnot. I was a little worried I'd have trouble getting the neck lined up in the pocket, but it went perfectly.

Unfortunately, while messing around with it I figured out that I routed the neck pocket too shallow. Which is something I almost did on purpose... When routing neck pockets I usually will route shallow in order to keep from routing too deep. But it's a tad too high for the maximum height of the bridge saddles. The good thing though is that I plan on making a spacer to go between the bridge and body, either out of wood or aluminum, which will put the bridge where it needs to be and at the same time give me more clearance for changing out strings. Which was something I was a little worried about. I had the idea that I would need to tape a piece of paper down every time I change strings but in this case I shouldn't have too. There should be plenty of room to work not. So sometime soon I will be making a spacer...
I finally finish building a guitar, go to play it, and then remember, "oh yeah, that's right. I suck at playing... Why did I build another guitar again?"

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:21 pm

It's really starting to come together now. Looks great!
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

AWSchmit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AWSchmit » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:52 am

Thanks... I forgot how much it sucks waiting for lacquer to cure... Now all that's left to do is wait..., sand/buff, drill some holes, put in some shielding, and put it all together. I'm hoping early March it'll be finished... Once I get started on it I hope I slow down enough to remember to take some photos, but I have the feeling my next update will just be a finished guitar. We'll see, I'm getting better at taking process photos then I used to be.

AWS
I finally finish building a guitar, go to play it, and then remember, "oh yeah, that's right. I suck at playing... Why did I build another guitar again?"

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:05 am

AWSchmit wrote:I forgot how much it sucks waiting for lacquer to cure.......I'm hoping early March it'll be finished...
:wtf: 11 months?!
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

AWSchmit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AWSchmit » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:02 am

PorkyPrimeCut wrote:
AWSchmit wrote:I forgot how much it sucks waiting for lacquer to cure.......I'm hoping early March it'll be finished...
11 months?!
May* :blush: :fp:

...It's been a really fast year so far... I get confused sometimes as to what month we're in and which ones have passed already..

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:08 am

AWSchmit wrote:
PorkyPrimeCut wrote:
11 months?!
May*

...It's been a really fast year so far... I get confused sometimes as to what month we're in and which ones have passed already..
Is the laquer poly or nitro?

I made the mistake of being a bit impatient with my Tele/Gretsch project. I assembled all the parts after a couple of weeks only to find that the chrome pickup covers had left an imprint in the nitro laquer. It wasn't a big deal as they'll never get swapped out for anything that might reveal the marks. It was just a surprise because the laquer felt rock hard.

It's not an issue with Poly though, as far as I know.

Ursa Minor
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ursa Minor » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:30 am

This is a beautiful project. Love the everything about it.

:-* :-* :-*
The artist formerly known as kosmonautmayhem.

AWSchmit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AWSchmit » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:44 am

It's lacquer. But it's a modern lacquer. So not sure if that changes much. We'll see.
kosmonautmayhem wrote:This is a beautiful project. Love the everything about it.
Thanks man. I appreciate that.

AWSchmit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AWSchmit » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:32 am

Now that I think of it. I don't think I've ever had hard parts not leave some kind of impression in lacquer. I seem to remember seeing impressions from neck plates in just about any guitar I've own, to some degree, regardless of paint type. I'm not all that worried about stuff like that. My main concern is getting the lacquer nice and flat and then having it sink in more and the finish not be nice and flat any more. If I can keep that from happening I'll be happy.
PorkyPrimeCut wrote:
AWSchmit wrote:
PorkyPrimeCut wrote: 11 months?!
May*

Is the laquer poly or nitro?

I made the mistake of being a bit impatient with my Tele/Gretsch project. I assembled all the parts after a couple of weeks only to find that the chrome pickup covers had left an imprint in the nitro laquer. It wasn't a big deal as they'll never get swapped out for anything that might reveal the marks. It was just a surprise because the laquer felt rock hard.

It's not an issue with Poly though, as far as I know.

AWSchmit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AWSchmit » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:43 am

What do you guys think of this decal idea/model name? It's an odd mashup of LP, Tele, and Jazzmaster if it wasn't obvious... Any other name suggestions welcome. Thanks.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:14 am

Bored & noodling around with Illustrator.

What if you somehow incorporated the flower design from the body?...

Ursa Minor
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ursa Minor » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:34 am

I love the idea of incorporating the flower from tnhe body design. Maybe an outline version.

I vote new typeface too. No need to mock Fender's logo. Your design is too interesting to reference Fender, imo. Make it your own.
The artist formerly known as kosmonautmayhem.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:17 pm

PorkyPrimeCut wrote:Bored & noodling around with Illustrator.

I love this!!!!
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

Tokuro
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Tokuro » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:32 pm

Really love this project. The flower paper is gorgeous. Congrats!

AWSchmit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AWSchmit » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:26 am

PorkyPrimeCut wrote:Bored & noodling around with Illustrator.

This is an intriguing idea. It makes me think of doing a play on the Jazzmasters format where it has those whirly gigs before and after the logo.

kosmonautmayhem wrote: I vote new typeface too. No need to mock Fender's logo. Your design is too interesting to reference Fender, imo. Make it your own.
There's something about a Fender Shaped headed without a logo that looks Fender-y that turns me off. If my logo doesn't at least hearken of the Fender logos used around 1969 (the first year of the paisley models, or there abouts), I'll probably go no logo. Other than the whole of the body shape (some of it is obviously Tele) pretty much everything about this guitar is a Fender replacement part.