ThePearDream's Coyote/Voyager builds (Completed Pics on Pages 7 & 10)

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: ThePearDream's JSG-3/Coyote build

Post by ThePearDream » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:19 am

Musjagjazz wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:05 am
The Eradicator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFO1O020uyw

If it was Black I would call it The Raven -
Hi, it's The Raven - You sound cool
Thanks for the suggestion. I already used Eradicator for my Tele though.

I think Numberwanger would be a great stupid name:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0obMRztklqU
Doug
@dpcannafax

Musjagjazz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Musjagjazz » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:14 am

hanks for the suggestion. I already used Eradicator for my Tele though.
Love it

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:55 pm

Decal arrived.

The weather isn't good for spraying at the moment. Next weekend should be better though.
Doug
@dpcannafax

solfege
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by solfege » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:01 pm

ThePearDream wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:55 pm
Decal arrived.

The weather isn't good for spraying at the moment. Next weekend should be better though.
Dying at the "...spiritually." Very well played.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:06 am

ThePearDream wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:55 pm
Decal arrived.

I can't tell you how pleased I am to have contributed to this build in this small way.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:48 pm

mbene085 wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:06 am
I can't tell you how pleased I am to have contributed to this build in this small way.
Well, I really appreciate your suggestions.

Today I made some spacers for the switches out of scrap pickguard material.

I bought some switch spacers from Faction, but found them to be too thick for using on a pickguard. I'm sure they'd be fine on a Jaguar switch plate. On a previous project I had used a gasket making material, but found it hard to work with. Pickguard scraps are easy to get, easy to work with, and are the right thickness.

I also finished re-shaping the pot bracket and reamed out the roller knob.
Doug
@dpcannafax

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:41 pm

Okay, decal is finally on. I actually ripped the first one while applying it and had to order a new one. Pickups will be here soon too. I have the wiring partially done and just need to connect the pickups to the switches and the switch to the pots. I go on vacation in two weeks, so final assembly will happen sometime after I get back.
Doug
@dpcannafax

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:51 am

I put 6-7 good coats of lacquer on yesterday. Because I'm doing a satin finish, I'm not concerned with letting it cure for weeks and doing level sanding and polishing. I just let it sit overnight, then knocked off the shiny spots with some green 3M Flexible Polishing Paper. I'll still let it sit for awhile before installing the tuners though. The nut has been roughed in as well. I don't think there is much else to do until the body and pickups arrive.

Doug
@dpcannafax

sirjeremy
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by sirjeremy » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:09 am

That headstock is great...just great.

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:49 pm

Thank you sir!
Doug
@dpcannafax

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Sat May 05, 2018 8:16 am

I stumbled across a piece of software for drawing up wiring diagrams, so I thought I'd try to draw up my wiring for this project. I'm no Shadoweclipse13, but I did my best, and I hope someone finds this useful someday.

I cobbled it together from a bunch of different places:
-the bridge pickup switching is from the Jaguar series mod switching that's been floating around for years
-the bass cut pot is from G&L
- the volume and tone I took from the Fender Mustang

The software had some limitations. Some of the elements couldn't be rotated, so it took some work to minimize overlapping wires and it isn't accurate as far as where everything sits on the guitar. Also, I left out super obvious grounded items for the sake of clarity.
Doug
@dpcannafax

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Thu May 10, 2018 8:28 am

I'm off from work today before I leave on vacation, so I thought I'd put the tuners in. I am using some Kluson style Japanese Gotoh that used to be in my #1 strat. They are great tuners, I just could never find big enough conversion bushings for that neck, so switched them out for Kluson Revolutions. I had thought about using those Klusons on here too, but didn't want to mess with reaming out the tuner holes.

Anyway, I popped the original bushings from this neck back in, then found that the shafts of the Gotoh tuners were too thick to fit. I pulled out all of the spare bushing sets in my parts drawer to take a look. All of the bushings that fit the Gotohs were too big for the holes in the neck. So, I ended up having to ream out the holes anyway. I took the bushings back out used a stepped drill bit by hand to open them up to 11/32 - this was maybe 1/64 larger, so it didn't take much. The bit didn't go quite deep enough though, so I finished with some adhesive 220 grit sandpaper wrapped around an 1/8" dowel. Then I carefully pressed the bushings in while listening for cracks, which there were none.

Then I finished up with my preferred style string tree - a Gotoh barrel type. I like these because there are no sharp edges and they are much smaller than most of the other options.

I got a shipping notification from Rose Pickups yesterday. Since I'm on vacation soon, I have a delivery hold from the post office. I expect those will then be delivered the day after we get back. The only thing left will be the body, and finishing the wiring. Oh, and all the actual assembly.

Speaking of the wiring, I am planning to disconnect both bridge pickup claws from their coils, then connect them together and have a single wire going to ground. The idea here is to make the claws a single shielding entity, like the cover of a PAF. As long as the claws are disconnected from the pickups, I can't imagine a problem with this. I'm not an expert on electronics though, so if this is a mistake, please let me know.

It would look like this:

I will also need to trim the top of the claws where they are hidden by the pickup cover. This will be a lot easier if they aren't connected to the pickups.

Edit: I finally stumbled on the guitar that started my thinking about combining single coils with different magnet types in a "humbucker", which ultimately started this whole journey. This really cool Jag by SansRegret
Doug
@dpcannafax

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Mon May 21, 2018 10:59 am

I got back from vacation Saturday evening, so my mail delivery didn't resume until today. The pickups were delivered a few hours ago. I got right to work on the claws, using a flat file to lower the teeth on one side of the two bridge claws. I made those sides a hair lower than the two bass teeth. This only took a few minutes per claw.

Then I got the coils installed and attached ground wires to the claws, per my previous update.

Then I went ahead and finished up the remainder of the wiring.

The blue mass by the tone pot is an experiment I'm trying for the ground wires. I bought some terminal strips off of ebay and am using one for linking all of the ground wires. I attached the ground wires to the terminals and wove a stripped length of wire through the openings in the board. Then I bent the terminals 90 degrees and used a large piece of heat shrink tubing around it. I just thought I'd try it out since I hate trying to solder a whole bunch of wires to the back of the pots.

Finally, since the pound has been dropping in relation to the dollar, I went ahead and bought a Staytrem bridge and collet this morning.
Doug
@dpcannafax

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Mon May 21, 2018 6:19 pm

That pickup looks great! Turned out really well.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Mon May 21, 2018 9:38 pm

This is coming along REALLY great!!
ThePearDream wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 8:16 am
I stumbled across a piece of software for drawing up wiring diagrams, so I thought I'd try to draw up my wiring for this project. I'm no Shadoweclipse13, but I did my best, and I hope someone finds this useful someday.
:D :D :D I'm not even Shadoweclipse13 somedays. Haha. Besides, you don't want to be as weird as I am. You'd end up wanting to build every single piece of furniture you own, because you don't like any of the styles that already exist and are affordable ;)

I really like your schematic though! Nice, simple functionality, and the schematic itself looks good and clean!!
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384