Squier unveils The Cribs signature

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Ro_S
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Squier unveils The Cribs signature

Post by Ro_S » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:03 am

loungelife wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:54 am
I swapped my neck pickup today and got a look at the back of the humbucker. It's an MP-H1F humbucker from the Fender Modern Player series.
This pertains to the 'musguar' model? that's very good to know, thanks.

Does it have a 4-wire output for potential coil splitting?

Anyone know what the DC resistance reading is for this pickup?

thanks.
Effects for Me & my Monkey
Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/effectsformeandmymonkey
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/RSguitarEFFECTS

smalahove
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by smalahove » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:57 am

I swapped the bridge humbucker in my musuar (for a mojotone goldfoil) and was told it had 4 wires that should enable coil-splitting, yes.

trinitrotoluene
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by trinitrotoluene » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:03 am

I replaced the stock humbucker with a Dimarzio Super Distortion and repurposed the kill switch to be a coil split switch. This really adds to the versatility of the guitar.

loungelife
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by loungelife » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:47 pm

Ro_S wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:03 am
loungelife wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:54 am
I swapped my neck pickup today and got a look at the back of the humbucker. It's an MP-H1F humbucker from the Fender Modern Player series.
This pertains to the 'musguar' model? that's very good to know, thanks.

Does it have a 4-wire output for potential coil splitting?

Anyone know what the DC resistance reading is for this pickup?

thanks.
Correct it has the 4 wire setup. I have since replaced the bridge pickup with a gfs Hot Liverpool humbucker. I also turned the rear 3 way into a coil tap and made the front 3 way just a kill switch for the neck pickup.

starflower
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by starflower » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:48 pm

The one-year-on update. I like this guitar.

It's weird, functional, tidy, and simply works. Trem works great, sustains like mad and love to take a beating. Granted, a irksome buzz stop on the 9th fret of the 3rd string slowly moved to the 10th fret and now is hard to get a clean tone out of (need a good dressing/planing job) after the 3rd month or so, but it's something that can be worked out. It's also the heaviest solid body I own but I'm not playing out with it, and the only other quirk is how thick but fragile the finish on this generation of Squiers are, as areas surrounding screw holes and strap pin spots have bypassed simply cracking, and instead all-out crumbled off with little effort...revealing a glossy undercoat covering the body wood. Not bothered that much by it, but it seems to be certainly a different formula of paint from other Squiers of the past.

The GFS tort pickguard I had matched has been getting uglier by the day, so after several months of having the pasty white one facing South on our veranda window, it's yellowed into a nicely creamy parchment almost identical to the stock guard, as shots of the GFS white guard show from both sides:

Tint is not that noticeable under fluorescent lighting, but subtle with natural lighting

Now for the juicy bits: The addition of a jangley TV Jones Magnatron and a Varitone rotary 5-way in place of kill switch (relocated a bit more relative to the lower horn) have turned this thing into a wonderful utility tool for me. Cleans and crunchies are so much more useful than ever in the bridge, and the sheer range of wacky timbres I can get with the some of the brighter shades of the varitone while the pickups are out of phase ensures that there's ne'er a dull moment. This thing is good fun.

Sound Director & Composer at Sangwha / General Manager at Moollon Guitars. https://soundcloud.com/andi-roselund

Ro_S
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ro_S » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:13 am

Re: the 'mus-guar' guitar model -

Has any owner modded the wiring of the bridge pickup slider switch so that the humbucker can have a coil split mode?

Is it possible?

thanks
Effects for Me & my Monkey
Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/effectsformeandmymonkey
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/RSguitarEFFECTS

starflower
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by starflower » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:57 am

I can't see why not, if one is up for it and has substituted the original circuit with a 3-way, placed where the killswitch etc is.

Several months on now, I for one am enjoying this thing heaps with the addition of the very bright and chunky Magnatone, but a hot bucker + coil split would probably be much more fun in the long run. Also by maintaining the quirky Mustang switching + messing about with the varitone, it can get weird quite fast; when set all nasal and out of phase, the varitone can provide a very colorful palate of lead tones.
Sound Director & Composer at Sangwha / General Manager at Moollon Guitars. https://soundcloud.com/andi-roselund

Monocoastal
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Monocoastal » Wed May 16, 2018 7:39 am

I really wish that Squier would do another run of these and make them available in the US.
I feel like someone mentioned seeing a fiesta red version in the wild.

Stephen_42
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Stephen_42 » Wed May 16, 2018 7:45 am

So much regret that I missed out on one of these. By far the coolest thing Fender has done in years.

Monocoastal
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Monocoastal » Wed May 16, 2018 9:37 pm

Agreed! It is just different enough without seeming silly unlike some of the other remixed guitars fender/Squier have done in recent years.

smalahove
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by smalahove » Sun May 20, 2018 12:14 am

If Fender somehow decides to re-release this, in another color with the same quality, I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

I've been looking at the new staytrem TOM replacement bridge, which comes in a rocking and non-rocking version. I'm leaning towards the rocking version even though I don't use the trem much, but I love the sound a floating bridge gives to the equation. Has anyone tried it?

Monocoastal
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Monocoastal » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:50 pm

smalahove wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 12:14 am
If Fender somehow decides to re-release this, in another color with the same quality, I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.
fingers crossed that they do it!!!
smalahove wrote:
I've been looking at the new staytrem TOM replacement bridge...

I haven't checked those out yet but I went for the staytrem replacement bridge on my Squier Bass VI and it dramatically improved the playability of that instrument. worth every penny.

armyofbees
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by armyofbees » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:13 pm

interesting stuff, but no lefties!

smalahove
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by smalahove » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:01 pm

Monocoastal wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:50 pm
smalahove wrote:
fingers crossed that they do it!!!
smalahove wrote:
I've been looking at the new staytrem TOM replacement bridge...

I haven't checked those out yet but I went for the staytrem replacement bridge on my Squier Bass VI and it dramatically improved the playability of that instrument. worth every penny.
Thanks for the feedback on the staytrem. I think I'll try out the rocking version.
That being said I feel the musuar is very solid as-is: a well thought-out instrument by the artist that actually uses it, just like the marrguar.

Kwyjibo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Kwyjibo » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:36 am

Man, I really wish they'd release this again...easily one of the coolest things that Fender/Squier have put out in two decades