Staytrem no longer shipping outside UK

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
solfege
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Staytrem no longer shipping outside UK

Post by solfege » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:25 pm

pscates wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:38 pm
I'd rather see either of the above happen than for sharks snapping them up and selling them on eBay for $300+ or whatever, "just because". That's probably gonna happen some anyway, unfortunately, but maybe it won't get completely out of control...
I wonder what would happen if someone wrote to him and said the result of his choice to limit shipping is likely only going to be to create this kind of market, whereas shipping globally but having a limited supply would at least forestall it somewhat, especially if he also limited quantities per order.

He might not care, but I get the sense that dude isn't exactly interested in creating an artificial market for speculators.

JVG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JVG » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:43 pm

I did write back to John to ask if he would consider giving one last opportunity for international customers to purchase - perhaps just for a window of a few weeks. On the same token, I don't think we should pressure him; he's made a valuable contribution to the guitar world and has the right to retire :)

Regarding massively inflated ebay prices, I don't think that will happen until he ceases production completely. But I could be wrong.

Cheers
J

soul1
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by soul1 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:50 pm

JVG wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:43 pm
I did write back to John to ask if he would consider giving one last opportunity for international customers to purchase - perhaps just for a window of a few weeks. On the same token, I don't think we should pressure him; he's made a valuable contribution to the guitar world and has the right to retire :)

Regarding massively inflated ebay prices, I don't think that will happen until he ceases production completely. But I could be wrong.

Cheers
J
Let us know what he says, I'd love to get one last tremolo arm/collet from him.

redchapterjubilee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by redchapterjubilee » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:51 am

He could also just have a waiting list, even if it is a mile long. I got on the Analogman list for a King of Tone many years ago. Heh, by the time my number came up I didn't want one anymore. Of course, that is part of the reason why people still buy them even if they don't have a use for one, mainly so they can flip it and make an extra $150 or more. I think we'd see a similar speculation with Staytrem, though probably not so high. Paying any more than $150 for one puts you into Mastery territory, and while I prefer Staytrem to Mastery if I have to pay the same for both I'm not so sure I'd choose a used Staytrem over a new Mastery. Mostly I think we should just get accustomed to not having ready access to Staytrem and for used prices to rise.

pscates
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pscates » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:27 am

I'd like to think someone with the success/acclaim he's enjoyed wouldn't be satisfied just yanking his product from the world completely (when that time does come). Even if some of the other products were eliminated and all that were made were the offset bridges (and collet/arm?), some small outfit or an enterprising individual or two could take that over, with John's blessing (if that's what he wanted). It shouldn't have to end (unless that's his wish).

I'm keeping an optimistic outlook that something like this may eventually come to be.

There's enough shoddy, disposable, half-baked shit in the world. It would be nice if one of the better-made, does-what-it-says, genuinely popular products somehow managed to stick around, even after its originator decides to hang it up and enjoy his retirement. For all we know, there's groundwork being laid for this very thing? I'm not gonna despair until it's clear that it's time to do so. :P

DeathJag
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DeathJag » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:30 am

Why the hell doesn’t Mastery, Inc take up the challenge? I realize their bridge is a redesign vs. the Staytrem “improved design,” but since this is happening why not? They’ve got the brains and machines to do it... People love choice! Many (like myself) might even purchase both to compare!

I have two Mastery bridges fyi, and I love them. But I’ve always been curious about Staytrem bridges. In fact, that might even be how I found this site - the mastery vs. staytrem thread.

pscates
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pscates » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:13 am

...and charge twice what they currently go for, Because Mastery™? No thanks. :)

I like the idea of two companies keeping each other honest/on their toes...one outfit - especially that one - cornering the market on upgraded/improved offset bridges makes my neck hurt.

wooderson
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wooderson » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:57 am

I guess the race has started, one I was watching just sold on Ebay for ~$180USD.

parry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by parry » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:57 am

What I've always found fascinating, is that - even in their commonality - the ethos of the two companies couldn't be more different.

Mastery is the ground-up improvement with slick material finishes, slick packaging, slick marketing and website, pushing major artist endorsements on social media, just-out-of-reach pricing...

Staytrem stayed true to the original, but finished the job, so to speak. They barely have a website... from 1984... :D 8)
Their packaging is a yellow, padded mailing envelope and a couple hunks of styrofoam, LOL - BUT IT WORKS. The foundation of Staytrem's business is almost solely based on the product merit and it's affordability. There are few companies who can pull that off, these days.
John will be missed.
Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity.

DeathJag
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DeathJag » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:09 pm

pscates wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:13 am
...and charge twice what they currently go for, Because Mastery™? No thanks. :)
I don’t find Mastery bridges to be expensive for the product, at all. I’m not a luthier or fabricator, so nothing I have is DIY. I believe in purchasing the right tool for the job, even if it’s more than I want to pay.

Anyway my point was, that versus ebay or utterly unobtainable, having someone in the US make that design would be good. Homeboy just made it necessary by not shipping here.

Deed_Poll
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Deed_Poll » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:10 pm

Couldn't agree more, Parry. I'm particularly sad at the news since I believe Leo's original design always worked best with a rocking bridge... In fact, John W at Mastery refused to sell me a batch of Mastery vibrato units because I planned to put them on guitars with Staytrem bridges! I guess now I'm sh!t outta luck! Oh well.

It's not a better or worse thing, just a *different* thing. I always liked the Staytrem best.

Dan
Owner Operator of GuitarForm - Custom Offset Guitar Bodies
www.guitarform.com ◈ @guitar_form

pscates
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pscates » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:14 pm

parry wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:57 am
What I've always found fascinating, is that - even in their commonality - the ethos of the two companies couldn't be more different.

Mastery is the ground-up improvement with slick material finishes, slick packaging, slick marketing and website, pushing major artist endorsements on social media, just-out-of-reach pricing...

Staytrem stayed true to the original, but finished the job, so to speak. They barely have a website... from 1984... :D 8)
Their packaging is a yellow, padded mailing envelope and a couple hunks of styrofoam, LOL - BUT IT WORKS. The foundation of Staytrem's business is almost solely based on the product merit and it's affordability. There are few companies who can pull that off, these days.
John will be missed.
Good post. I feel the exact same way. I do prefer the look/design/function of the Staytrem offering for the stuff I play, listen to, try to emulate, etc....it's the Mustang bridge "done right". It isn't trying to be anything more complicated/cute than that. I appreciate the understated simplicity and the "what Leo probably would've come up with had he taken another go or two at it" vibe.

DeathJag, I'd LOVE for there to be a U.S.-based outfit making these things for as far into the future as I can see. I'm hoping something positive winds up coming out of this. Fingers crossed...

adamrobertt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by adamrobertt » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:36 pm

Ugh I hope he licenses his stuff to Fender or Mastery or something... I much prefer the Staytrem bridge over the Mastery, and his trem arm is going to be hard to live without....

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:35 am

Perhaps time to resurrect the budget Staytrem ...
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vie ... &p=1366109
Last edited by timtam on Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:59 am

Didn't Jess Lourio post on here about a modified Mustang bridge he offers? I think he got kind of slated for it as it wasn't machined from scratch, but maybe those of us without a heavily-tooled workshop at our disposal might be interested.

As far as what the future holds for alternative offset bridges, this is the kind of thing I can foresee Trevor Wilkinson turning his attention to.

Personally, I think if anyone was going to inherit the Staytrem mantle, it should be our very own Ben workoffire, who I'm sure would do a great job of making bridges. ;)