Shadoweclipse13's New Project Thread!

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.

Console Steel/Slide Guitar Carve Area Design Ideas

#1 (Picture 1 Top) - Parallel carve, straight lines to the edge
No votes
#2 (Picture 1 Middle) - Parallel carve, angled lines to the edge
29%
#3 (Picture 1 Bottom) - Parallel carve, curved lines to the edge
29%
#4 (Picture 2 Top) - Angled carve, straight lines to the edge
No votes
#5 (Picture 2 Middle) - Angled carve, angled lines to the edge
29%
#6 (Picture 2 Bottom) - Angled carve, curved lines to the edge
14%
#7 - Your own idea!
No votes

Total votes: 7

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Shadoweclipse13's New Project Thread!

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:01 pm

I have some updates for a bunch of different things:
Here's where I'm at with the redesigned Eurorack case:
I was inspired originally by the old Moog modular stuff (like the system 55), but I fucked up the mounting of the power supply, so I started over. I'll hopefully be getting some more progress on this this coming weekend.

This summer, I made a matching set of pie boxes for my sister and I (both made from the same two pieces of oak, so they too are siblings). I'm using mine for my sentimental stuff:

I never posted a picture of my finished record player stand in use, because it sat in storage for a year immediately after it was finished! The TV has since moved to a crappy little side table, just until I build an entertainment center.

I know I posted this in the Good Things thread, but here's where I'm at with my bed frame design too. At the moment, it's sitting in my bedroom, actually being used as a bed frame, because my garage needs room and organization:

And finally! My 70's Sci-Fi baritone guitar, based on Deed_Poll's Juniorbird design. Here's a refresher to the color and pickup mock-up I'd made:

I've already got the pickups, the switches, and the knobs too (I think). Dan/Deed_Poll cut the body today, so here's where we're at:
(Not my actual pickguard).
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

oid
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by oid » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:19 am

That looks like it is going to be a nice little synth, you have the modules for it already or know what is going in? Makes me kind of want to make myself a modular, not sure I want to go down that hole though.

I suppose your apparent productivity can excuse your using the floor as a hamper.

We have the same carpet. Do you hate it as much as I do? Yours is in considerably better condition though.
Logic gates based on billiard-ball computer designs have also been made to operate using live soldier crabs of the species Mictyris guinotae in place of the billiard balls.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:13 am

The carpet is my new apartment isn't too bad actually. It feels good under my feet, much nicer than the carpet in most apartments I've had. The only thing I don't like is that it crunches under foot, but that's the only way I know how Poptart is sneaking up on me ;D

I'm actually quite clean, almost to the point of OCD. That's not dirty clothes, that's my stuff laid out for the next day.

I know most of what will be going into the synth. The lower unit with the tapered/angled front will be all AJH Synth modules, as they make a clone of a MiniMoog Model D called the MiniMod. It has more options for outputs and modulation than a real Model D, and will be half the price. Like this:
The modules it will have when I'm done are: a homemade front-mounted power supply on/off switch with LED power indicator and panel-mounted fuse, V-Scale Buffer, Glide + Noise module, Dual LFO + VCA, 3x oscillators, gain switch with mult, the Discrete Cascaded VCA, 2x DH+ADSR modules, and the offset VCA module. I wanted to get as close to a real MiniMoog as I could, but with more functions, and this will do it.

The tiny bottom row will have some passive utility modules, like the rotary switch for the outputs on each oscillator that I'm building. The original MiniMoog had a rotary switch for the waveshape of the oscillators, which could be handy for live performances, but I do really like the fact that AJH makes their oscillators with an output for each waveshape, so you could use all of them simultaneously. I may not use the switch every time, but I like the idea of it. I'm figuring out the rest of the bottom row.

So far, I've got everything except a second DH+ADSR module, and I need 2 more of the oscillators. I have one of everything, so I could technically use it right now.

The upper box isn't very planned yet. AJH makes this AMAZING sounding 12-stage phaser that I want. I also really like the 4-head Strymon Magneto tape echo, but the fucker is expensive ($599). The rest I'm willing to leave open for now. I may make a Juno clone in Euro if I can find modules that I like.

AJH Mega-Phase 12
I haven't watched the whole thing, but I have so far sounds epic.

Strymon Magneto

There will be another rack (probably more, but one more for now) that will be all controller modules. Here's what's planned, but things might change drastically depending on how I like the Make Noise Pressure Points:

Make Noise Pressure Points demo
Really cool. Short too. It's basically a module with 4 pressure pads that can be linked together with 3 other modules for a total of 4. If you add a Make Noise Brains, it can do sequences and all sorts of other stuff too.

Eurorack, like pedals, can get very expensive, but it doesn't have to be. I've seen some guys do really incredible stuff with the basics or really affordable modules. I realize that I'm going nuts at first, but I expected it, and have been getting some really good deals on things, between used modules, or waiting for sales.

EDIT: the pictures are screenshots taken from my ModularGrid.net account. It's free, so you can plan Eurorack builds. They also have other modular formats, as well as guitar pedals too. A lot of fun to mess with ;D
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

oid
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by oid » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:20 am

crunchy carpet?

That looks like it is going to be a fun synth. I would put a quad AC/DC VCA and a quad AD/AR in the bottom, never seem to have enough of those in a modular. I have considered a MiniMoog modular build over the years, or even something along the lines of the 55, perhaps someday, fairly content having a small compact self contained system these days. It sure would be fun though!

If you are up for building from scratch send me a message, I have some goodies I would trade that will help you get that Juno sound good and proper.

AJH is new to me, seems they have some connection to Oakley, wonder if he was one of the old synth-diy folk, don't recall his name but most did not go by full names. That mailing list is still going and fairly active, even a good number of the folks from my day still there, not many such mailing lists around these days, been going for 48 and a half years! Amazing how much of the modular revival came out of that place. I may have to get back there and finally build that synth.

I think you maybe the only person who lays their clothes out for following day by dropping them on the floor to their bed, wish I thought of that 20 years ago, that would have driven my mom nuts! Your probably not the only one, but its a new one for me.

I sort of collect quirks.
Logic gates based on billiard-ball computer designs have also been made to operate using live soldier crabs of the species Mictyris guinotae in place of the billiard balls.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:48 am

oid wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:20 am
crunchy carpet?
Yeah, but that might just be the padding they put under the carpet. I don't care for the crunching/squeaking. It makes it sound cheap.
oid wrote:
That looks like it is going to be a fun synth. I would put a quad AC/DC VCA and a quad AD/AR in the bottom, never seem to have enough of those in a modular. I have considered a MiniMoog modular build over the years, or even something along the lines of the 55, perhaps someday, fairly content having a small compact self contained system these days. It sure would be fun though!

If you are up for building from scratch send me a message, I have some goodies I would trade that will help you get that Juno sound good and proper.

AJH is new to me, seems they have some connection to Oakley, wonder if he was one of the old synth-diy folk, don't recall his name but most did not go by full names. That mailing list is still going and fairly active, even a good number of the folks from my day still there, not many such mailing lists around these days, been going for 48 and a half years! Amazing how much of the modular revival came out of that place. I may have to get back there and finally build that synth.
Interesting. You may get a PM from me later 8)

AD/AR? I hear that people are always needing more VCAs. I like how the modular thing can be changed, but I'm very much the type that likes to get things, build it, and then not change it. I love the MiniMoog sound, and especially considering what I've heard about Moog in general, think that this will be more user-friendly.

Not sure about Oakley. AJH is in the UK, and it's his name/initials (Alan J Hall). Which synth are you referring to building?
oid wrote:
I think you maybe the only person who lays their clothes out for following day by dropping them on the floor to their bed, wish I thought of that 20 years ago, that would have driven my mom nuts! Your probably not the only one, but its a new one for me.

I sort of collect quirks.
I like things to be simple and I don't like figuring things out right when I get up. I'm also quite quirky, which in my case likely comes from living alone and never having had a long-term girlfriend. I've dated a bunch of girls, but I always figure out that it won't work pretty quickly, and move on. At 32, I'm pretty deep into quirks I think. I like it that way most days :freako:

oid
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by oid » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:25 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:48 am
AD/AR? I hear that people are always needing more VCAs.
Attack Decay/Attack Release. Simple little envelopes to make and the addition of a switch makes it so you can toggle between AD and AR, AR really being ASR, just makes it sustain for the length of the gate instead of just triggering the decay cycle as soon as the attack is over. VCAs always run out and they are always useful, especially if they work on both audio and CV, but they are fairly limited if you do not have the envelopes for them as well. the AD/AR design is a fraction of the cost and gets you 4 envelopes in the space of two and generally the full ADSR envelope is not needed for the modulation duty. Gate/Trigger delays are also very useful since you can use them to delay your envelope triggering to make more complex modulations.
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Not sure about Oakley. AJH is in the UK, and it's his name/initials (Alan J Hall). Which synth are you referring to building?
Oakley Sound is Tony Allgood (or was it Clark?) also a UK fella, one of the early DIYers to go into buisness, started with a Moog filter, then a clone of the audio portion of the 303, that design is still floating about and being offered by various people, and last I knew he had a whole selection of modules. He was Moog format back than, may do Euro as well now, know I have seen some of his designs offered by others in Euro.

As to what synth, just what ever synth it is I build, my synth. It was once a very definite set of modules that I spent many hours over many years scribbling in notebooks over when I was too poor to make such things, that will never be built though, cost and space are not issues in dreams. I stopped being broke and returned to reality. Still have the desire to build a synth though, and I will eventually.

Deed_Poll
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Deed_Poll » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:49 am

I just wanted to pop my head in and say how AWESOME the record player unit is. It looks like it's been torn straight out of the 1960s, lovely proportions and detailing ;)
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:01 pm
Also, whoever this guy is should be a hand model! Such grace... such class... :D
Owner Operator of GuitarForm - Custom Offset Guitar Bodies
www.guitarform.com ◈ @guitar_form

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:03 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:

And finally! My 70's Sci-Fi baritone guitar, based on Deed_Poll's Juniorbird design. Here's a refresher to the color and pickup mock-up I'd made:

I've already got the pickups, the switches, and the knobs too (I think). Dan/Deed_Poll cut the body today, so here's where we're at:
(Not my actual pickguard).
Is this the same project that is getting the clear top pickups? Or are you doing a baritone and a bass vi?
Doug
@dpcannafax

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:46 pm

oid wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:25 am
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
AD/AR? I hear that people are always needing more VCAs.
Attack Decay/Attack Release. Simple little envelopes to make and the addition of a switch makes it so you can toggle between AD and AR, AR really being ASR, just makes it sustain for the length of the gate instead of just triggering the decay cycle as soon as the attack is over. VCAs always run out and they are always useful, especially if they work on both audio and CV, but they are fairly limited if you do not have the envelopes for them as well. the AD/AR design is a fraction of the cost and gets you 4 envelopes in the space of two and generally the full ADSR envelope is not needed for the modulation duty. Gate/Trigger delays are also very useful since you can use them to delay your envelope triggering to make more complex modulations.
I'll have to look into that. Most of it, beyond concept, is still pretty new to me. I know a lot of what things do, but I didn't realize that AD and AR were different from the separate knobs on a ADSR module...
oid wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:25 am
As to what synth, just what ever synth it is I build, my synth. It was once a very definite set of modules that I spent many hours over many years scribbling in notebooks over when I was too poor to make such things, that will never be built though, cost and space are not issues in dreams. I stopped being broke and returned to reality. Still have the desire to build a synth though, and I will eventually.
That would be awesome. You should totally build it.
Deed_Poll wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:49 am
I just wanted to pop my head in and say how AWESOME the record player unit is. It looks like it's been torn straight out of the 1960s, lovely proportions and detailing ;)
I took a better picture today just for you Dan. Of course, now there's more junk on it, but hey, the apartment is a work-in-progress right now ;D
It was hard to see in other pictures, but I added a short board (1x2) in the back behind the records. I'm a little bit OCD, to where I wanted to push them back and have all of them relatively even. I'm the guy who would (and still does) push the books on the shelves at the library, back to where the back of the shelf is. It drives me nuts.
Deed_Poll wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:49 am
Also, whoever this guy is should be a hand model! Such grace... such class... :D
:D :D :D :D 8)
ThePearDream wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:03 am
Is this the same project that is getting the clear top pickups? Or are you doing a baritone and a bass vi?
It is indeed 2 separate projects. I'm doing a baritone AND a Bass VI (well, Duo-Sonic VI) ;D 8)

oid
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by oid » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:07 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:46 pm
but I didn't realize that AD and AR were different from the separate knobs on a ADSR module...
They are not, they are what you get if you exclude one or the other from the ADSR envelope. If you set the Sustain level to zero and hold a key down the volume raises at the rate set by the Attack knob to full volume then decays to the sustain level which is zero, so envelope is effectively over regardless of how long you hold the key down, it is an AD envelope now instead of and ADSR. If we set the Sustain to the maximum and hold a key down the volume once again raises to maximum at the rate set by the Attack knob but there is nothing to decay to* since the level is already at sustain level, but now the volume stays constant until we RELEASE the key and now it enters the Release phase and returns to zero at the rate you set the knob to, so we have an AR envelop.

So an ADSR can do a ADSR envelope or AD or AR.
An AD can only do AD
An AR can do AD if you do not hold the key long enough for it to enter the sustain cycle.

Many AD and AR designs are switchable between the two variants.

*Technically the Decay phase still happens but it is moot since you go into the release phase as soon as you release the key. If you have Decay set at one second and hold the key down for two seconds the envelope decays for one second from maximum volume to maximum volume than spends one second in Sustain until the key is released. If you hold the key for half a second the Decay ends and the Release cycle starts even though it has not reached its lofty goal of going from where it is to where it already is in one second. The Release cycle always starts as soon as you release the key regardless of where you are in the envelope. Well not always, there are some oddball envelopes out there.
That would be awesome. You should totally build it.

Hopefully it would be! I have entered another round of trying to sort out what it would be so I can start to build it, who knows if I will figure out what i want this time around, but I am certainly getting close. it will eventually get built, I just need a fairly concrete plan so i do not go down the room full of modular path and stick to my small simple system. I live in a one room house so a room full of modular would cause problems. I think i am about 90% of the way there, just a few things to sort, a few concessions to make and I will be off.
I took a better picture today just for you Dan. Of course, now there's more junk on it, but hey, the apartment is a work-in-progress right now ;D
There is a plastic tote on there begging to be replaced by an oak pie box.

it is a nice bit of design and well executed despite the plastic tote.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:24 pm

oid wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:07 am
They are not, they are what you get if you exclude one or the other from the ADSR envelope. If you set the Sustain level to zero and hold a key down the volume raises at the rate set by the Attack knob to full volume then decays to the sustain level which is zero, so envelope is effectively over regardless of how long you hold the key down, it is an AD envelope now instead of and ADSR. If we set the Sustain to the maximum and hold a key down the volume once again raises to maximum at the rate set by the Attack knob but there is nothing to decay to* since the level is already at sustain level, but now the volume stays constant until we RELEASE the key and now it enters the Release phase and returns to zero at the rate you set the knob to, so we have an AR envelop.

So an ADSR can do a ADSR envelope or AD or AR.
An AD can only do AD
An AR can do AD if you do not hold the key long enough for it to enter the sustain cycle.

Many AD and AR designs are switchable between the two variants.

*Technically the Decay phase still happens but it is moot since you go into the release phase as soon as you release the key. If you have Decay set at one second and hold the key down for two seconds the envelope decays for one second from maximum volume to maximum volume than spends one second in Sustain until the key is released. If you hold the key for half a second the Decay ends and the Release cycle starts even though it has not reached its lofty goal of going from where it is to where it already is in one second. The Release cycle always starts as soon as you release the key regardless of where you are in the envelope. Well not always, there are some oddball envelopes out there.
Ok, that makes sense. It's gonna be fun playing around with this stuff once I finishing putting the case together ;D
oid wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:07 am
There is a plastic tote on there begging to be replaced by an oak pie box.

it is a nice bit of design and well executed despite the plastic tote.
That's all just temporary stuff until I find a place for everything. I think the little plastic box is geeky knick-knacks, so once I get around to some shelving, that'll be gone. Plus, those boxes suck. I've got a couple of them, and they are really flimsy.

Fiddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fiddy » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:26 pm

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
I have some updates for a bunch of different things:
Here's where I'm at with the redesigned Eurorack case:

Looking good. 8)

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:27 pm

Thanks man! I keep forgetting how outdated that picture is too. Since I took it, I've added a cover for the back of each case. I'm hoping to have it glued up and maybe get the round-overs done this weekend too. If I get all that done, I'll be able to start staining too.

Fiddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fiddy » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:33 pm

For a moment, the image tricked my eyes.

It looked like the bottom was a reflection of the top on the glass top. :freako:

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:26 pm

tribi9 wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:33 pm
For a moment, the image tricked my eyes.

It looked like the bottom was a reflection of the top on the glass top. :freako:
:D :D That was at my folk's house. I'll get a better picture of it soon 8)