Staytrem no longer shipping outside UK

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
nelsongeets
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Staytrem no longer shipping outside UK

Post by nelsongeets » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:15 am

timtam wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:14 am
UlricvonCatalyst wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:59 am
Didn't Jess Lourio post on here about a modified Mustang bridge he offers? I think he got kind of slated for it as it wasn't machined from scratch, but maybe those of us without a heavily-tooled workshop at our disposal might be interested.
It was more of a 'compensated Tele-meets Mustang' ...

But yes, anyone who thought it was a good solution could assemble one with brass saddles off ebay ...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wilkinson-Vint ... 2790261614
I've been contemplating making a "poor mans" mastery of sorts using a similar method. Just haven't quite got around to it. But I think t'll will work out really well and definitely solve some of the problems you see with a standard mustang bridge. The next build I'm doing is going to have a roller bridge and trem, but I'm going to make it a point to make a poor mans mastery for the next after that. I'll post some pics when I do. I'm planning on using the standard mustang bridge and some gotoh intune saddles. Looks like I'll be able to drill out the bridge so the string spacing is about 54mm and then of course adjust for radius on each individual saddle. I think the intune saddles will help with the possibility of the strings wearing a groove into the brass saddles being their already notched too.

j mascis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by j mascis » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:20 pm

Man. I need two of these with a 9.5 radius. Can anyone in the UK order for me?? :'(

epizootics
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by epizootics » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:28 pm

nelsongeets wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:15 am
timtam wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:14 am
UlricvonCatalyst wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:59 am
Didn't Jess Lourio post on here about a modified Mustang bridge he offers? I think he got kind of slated for it as it wasn't machined from scratch, but maybe those of us without a heavily-tooled workshop at our disposal might be interested.
It was more of a 'compensated Tele-meets Mustang' ...

But yes, anyone who thought it was a good solution could assemble one with brass saddles off ebay ...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wilkinson-Vint ... 2790261614
I've been contemplating making a "poor mans" mastery of sorts using a similar method. Just haven't quite got around to it. But I think t'll will work out really well and definitely solve some of the problems you see with a standard mustang bridge. The next build I'm doing is going to have a roller bridge and trem, but I'm going to make it a point to make a poor mans mastery for the next after that. I'll post some pics when I do. I'm planning on using the standard mustang bridge and some gotoh intune saddles. Looks like I'll be able to drill out the bridge so the string spacing is about 54mm and then of course adjust for radius on each individual saddle. I think the intune saddles will help with the possibility of the strings wearing a groove into the brass saddles being their already notched too.

The Jess Loureiro bridge also got slated because it is a poor design to start with. There is simply no sense in having the strings going trough those holes at the back of the bridge, because the strings will end up rubbing against the edges of the hole and add an unnecessary friction point to the system. What would make more sense would be to remove all the material apart from the part that holds the intonation screws in place. I guess Loureiro didn't do that because he just got a bunch of cheapo Chinese nickel-alloy bridges and it wouldn't have looked too great with all the chrome missing on the filed-out parts. But then, if you're going to do this sort of work on a mustang bridge, you might as well start from scratch and buy sections of u-channel of the right dimensions and work it from there. That would allow you to pick whatever metal you want for your bridge. Using bronze saddles would also be a plus, because bronze does really well with friction.

The Loureiro design is a joke, something anyone with a drill press could do for a fraction of the cost...and then decide it was a bad idea and leave the poor thing in a drawer forever, especially when a Staytrem unit costs only £15 more.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:33 pm

I emailed John the other day as I may have someone who's willing to get one for me and ship it to me from the UK. I don't know if anyone has already mentioned this, but I emailed John the other day, and told him that I'd like one and have someone in the UK willing to receive and ship one for me, but John said that they won't even accept payment from outside of the UK. So, my PayPal being a US account won't do the trick.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

nelsongeets
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by nelsongeets » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:50 am

epizootics wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:28 pm

The Jess Loureiro bridge also got slated because it is a poor design to start with. There is simply no sense in having the strings going trough those holes at the back of the bridge, because the strings will end up rubbing against the edges of the hole and add an unnecessary friction point to the system. What would make more sense would be to remove all the material apart from the part that holds the intonation screws in place. I guess Loureiro didn't do that because he just got a bunch of cheapo Chinese nickel-alloy bridges and it wouldn't have looked too great with all the chrome missing on the filed-out parts. But then, if you're going to do this sort of work on a mustang bridge, you might as well start from scratch and buy sections of u-channel of the right dimensions and work it from there. That would allow you to pick whatever metal you want for your bridge. Using bronze saddles would also be a plus, because bronze does really well with friction.

The Loureiro design is a joke, something anyone with a drill press could do for a fraction of the cost...and then decide it was a bad idea and leave the poor thing in a drawer forever, especially when a Staytrem unit costs only £15 more.
Wow, I did not realize the idea with that one was to have the strings go through the old intonation screw holes. That sounds like a bad idea asking for tuning issues. I was thinking the tele saddles would be similar in height to the mustang saddles allowing you to just string up the guitar like you normally would.

JVG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JVG » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:37 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:33 pm
I emailed John the other day as I may have someone who's willing to get one for me and ship it to me from the UK. I don't know if anyone has already mentioned this, but I emailed John the other day, and told him that I'd like one and have someone in the UK willing to receive and ship one for me, but John said that they won't even accept payment from outside of the UK. So, my PayPal being a US account won't do the trick.
He's certainly providing us with a challenge! im a huge fan of Johns work, but I'm a little bummed that he didn't provide us with some warning about the changes in operation. Perhaps he didn't want to be flooded with last-minute orders? In the meantime, I may have to consider moving to England to get myself a new bridge :P

Cheers
J.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:46 pm

PPG the money to your friend in the UK, they pay John and receive the item, mail it to the US. You give 'em a bit extra for some beer money.

Simple as.
This is an excellent rectangle

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:45 pm

mackerelmint wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:46 pm
PPG the money to your friend in the UK, they pay John and receive the item, mail it to the US. You give 'em a bit extra for some beer money.

Simple as.
Exactly what I'm doing ;D
JVG wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:37 am
He's certainly providing us with a challenge! im a huge fan of Johns work, but I'm a little bummed that he didn't provide us with some warning about the changes in operation. Perhaps he didn't want to be flooded with last-minute orders? In the meantime, I may have to consider moving to England to get myself a new bridge :P

Cheers
J.
Right? Honestly, Brexit or not, I've been considering it for years 8)
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

Steadyriot.
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Steadyriot. » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:09 am

nelsongeets wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:50 am
epizootics wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:28 pm

Wow, I did not realize the idea with that one was to have the strings go through the old intonation screw holes. That sounds like a bad idea asking for tuning issues. I was thinking the tele saddles would be similar in height to the mustang saddles allowing you to just string up the guitar like you normally would.
You can just string it up normally; the "Loureiro design" was on OSG years before he came out with it.
He probably just thinks the holes left over from redrilling a cheap mustang bridge would sound better as a feature than as a flaw....

Nothing wrong with the concept tho' if you string it the "normal way".
"If someone duetted with a Bald Eagle, they could rule the Country charts from here to eternity." ~shadowplay

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:57 am

Steadyriot. wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:09 am
I don't know about that. I could be wrong, but it looks like the front and back edges of the bridge would be too high for the string to not hit. Could just be a bad angle from that picture above too though...

Steadyriot.
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Steadyriot. » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:11 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:57 am
Steadyriot. wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:09 am
I don't know about that. I could be wrong, but it looks like the front and back edges of the bridge would be too high for the string to not hit. Could just be a bad angle from that picture above too though...
You'd have to jack up the saddles quite a bit I guess; but there's at least one user on OSG who made it work..
Picture and guitar courtesy of AWSchmidt.

Jacked up saddles mean better tone anyway, according to the TDPRI.. :P

Flurko dit it too!
"If someone duetted with a Bald Eagle, they could rule the Country charts from here to eternity." ~shadowplay

_nash
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by _nash » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:55 am

I did this on a Jag and liked it. I have another set of Tele saddles to make another right now. Just haven’t had the time. I don’t think it’s a replacement for a Staytrem, but I think players in search of a different beidge will enjoy trying it out.
Something of note, if you center the 3 new holes between the existing holes there will be a small gap between each saddle (at least was my experience). I may squeeze them together next time... I’ll decide after a closer look at the string spacing.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:51 am

Good to know! It was just a weird angle in the original picture then. I always liked the idea of that since I'm primarily a Tele player.

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:09 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:51 am
I'm primarily a Tele player.
:derp:

You're just hanging out here on OSG with all the cool people. Get back to TDPRI! >:( >:( >:(

(yes I know that anywhere from 30-75% of the OSG regulars don't regularly play offsets anymore. :ph34r: Not me though. JAGZ4LYFE)

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:33 am

Fuck TDPRI! I've been on a few other forums, and none are all that great.

Technically, my bass is an offset, but you have to remember, as a lefty, I don't have as many options. I'm in the process of building or having built, like 4 offsets right now ;D

EDIT: Didn't mean for that to sound so angry. I don't do forums much anymore, and this is only good one I ever found.