Nice Pickguards

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
guinsu
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Nice Pickguards

Post by guinsu » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:41 am

Hi, I'm new to the forum but I've had a CIJ Jag for a few years.  I want to replace my pickguard, I got a pearloid one a few years ago but it just doesn't look as nice as some that I have seen.  I was just wondering what was the best place to order a really nice looking pickguard.  I will probably also be looking for a red tortoise if my order for a CIJ Jazz goes through.  thanks!

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Re: Nice Pickguards

Post by mezcalhead » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:07 am

What makes a nice-looking pickguard is pretty much in the eye of the beholder .. if you want a white rather than tort guard then I personally think the aftermarket mint green guards are just fine .. you can get them most places, like Guitar Parts Resource, Allparts, wherever. Make sure you get one to fit a CIJ as the AVRI guards are a little different in placement.
guinsu wrote: I will probably also be looking for a red tortoise

???

.. oh right, I get it!

Aftermarket tort guards are easily available from the same places as the mint ones, but they aren't quite as nice a job IMO. The vintage tort guards have a special something.

There are also a few places that will make custom pickguards if you're interested, and I think at least one (is it Pickguardian?) uses the same nitrocellulose material that the vintage guards were made of.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

guinsu
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Nice Pickguards

Post by guinsu » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:19 am

Hmm..I can't think how to describe it, but a friend sold me a Japanese Strat that he put a pearloid Pg on, it looks really nice.  He couldnt remember where he got it from since it was 10 years old.  When I got my jag I went form white to pearloid, I think I got it from WD Music.  And it just doesn't look as nice as the other guard, something about it looks cheap, like the pearl effect isnt as "deep".  So I just wanted to go back and get a pearloid one that looked nicer.