'66 Mustang - Fixing These Cracks?

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

'66 Mustang - Fixing These Cracks?

Post by Danley » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:48 pm

Or 'Would you?' Trying to address two cracks in the back of the body.

This refin was completed by an acquaintance around 2006 . It is acceptable- with the exception of the two cracks that (re)surfaced about five years ago. Given I completed the refin of my G&L with quite (I think) excellent results I wonder if I can do better- but want to get the best approach to the problem of the cracks:

The refinisher was candid with me, that there were two splits in the body (coinciding with the 3-piece joints.) He was able to even spread them slightly for me. His words: "Looks like someone tried to step on each side of the body to pry the neck off." His (alleged) fix was to syringe-inject the seams with glue (I didn't witness this- but also don't have a reason to disbelieve that the cracks were glued.) He then applied ReRanch nitro and all was good for some years.

They re-emerged when I moved to a more coastal area with higher humidity than the desert I lived in before. See below pics- but the crack edges are slightly raised vs. the surface of the paint elsewhere, and the crack is *close* to having connected with a similar one from the neck pocket on the treble side (but never has.)

How would you check to ensure the cracks are stable and don't require any additional attention glue-wise? How would you stabilize them if they required it? My options based on my present thought process:
  • Assuming the cracks are stable (my present lean unless I can be convinced otherwise,) spot repair by sanding the back of the guitar flat, using wood filler on the crack area & re-sanding, sealing that portion of the body, spraying Daphne & clear nitro, wet sand/polish etc.
  • Or should I assume the cracks aren't stable, get a syringe and try to re-inject glue? Here's where I need help
  • Or - Leave it alone and deal with it
High contrast vs. low contrast pics below to show how actually evident the crack is. Any preference?

King Buzzo: I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

mgeek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: '66 Mustang - Fixing These Cracks?

Post by mgeek » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:41 am

I'd just leave it alone. Joins in wood, under nitro tend to show up regardless, and if the join itself has failed then it's probably been done with the wrong type of glue, so injecting more in there won't be that much use.

Might be useful to know what glue he injected in there?

zip73
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by zip73 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:33 pm

Leave it. Nice color btw.

oid
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by oid » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:25 pm

Those sort of cracks can be a trick to fix, if it was glued originally with hide glue you can just work in more hide glue and clamp, but this was most likely not glued with hide, which means to get a good repair one must first remove the glue or you will not get a good bond. This is not easy to do in such a joint so they generally open back up in time. I would not do anything unless they look to spreading further down the body, chances are they will never move beyond the end of the old failure and will remain stable in time.

I agree about that being a nice color, great looking guitar.
Logic gates based on billiard-ball computer designs have also been made to operate using live soldier crabs of the species Mictyris guinotae in place of the billiard balls.

Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Danley » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:35 pm

Thanks for the compliments & advice; it still bugs me but doesn't really affect anything. No clue what glue was used and have been out of touch with the guy who refinished it for a long while. Every so often I wonder somewhat about re-sale, but I guess when it comes down it it I'm not going to part from this one, too much sentimental value- And it'll still be a refin Mustang anyway.
King Buzzo: I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

jaapbossen
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jaapbossen » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:58 am

Leave it! Great guitar!