Guild Starfire opinions

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Guild Starfire opinions

Post by s_mcsleazy » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:15 am

i borrowed one from a friend and it was a fantastic guitar. the pickups were pretty loud through my rig. but you can do much worse for the money
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

rbrcbr
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rbrcbr » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:15 pm

Maggieo wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:14 am
Objectively, they're great. Mine was bedeviled by electronics problems and was about as reliable as a Civic tuned to within an inch of its life.

Pretty guitars, and I was not expecting the DeArmonds to be so loud.

1961 Guild Starfire III, June 07, 2015 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

I wish we'd gotten on better.
God, it's so beautiful. Looks like it was a good one, shame you had so many issues. I'm hoping this one isn't riddled with problems as well. I just found out today from the guy who bought it in that it was a one owner guitar, so hopefully it's a real good one. Surprised to hear the pickups were so loud! Can't wait to try them.

Btw, love that photo and a big Leica fan myself. The M9 colors are so great! I've seen you over on rangefinderforum a number of times, so cool to see another offset/guitar lover/photographer on here.
s_mcsleazy wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:15 am
i borrowed one from a friend and it was a fantastic guitar. the pickups were pretty loud through my rig. but you can do much worse for the money
Sweeeeet. I guess I'll find out next week just how loud these are.

hansbrinker
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hansbrinker » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:05 am

One of my favorite bands is Tindersticks. The lead singer uses a 1966 Guild Starfire III, while the left-handed guitarist is playing a DeArmond Starfire Special (not sure of the year).

Such cool guitars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDElU3szwww

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:37 am

rbrcbr wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:15 pm
Maggieo wrote:

God, it's so beautiful. Looks like it was a good one....

Yeah, that would be the one for me (minus the aluminium bridge base - sorry, nitpicking - but Guild Bigsby FTW!!)

This is the one I almost pulled the trigger on.

They even have a decent soundclip.

It was almost perfect. A decent, solid but ugly body repair meant it was selling for a great price too.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cestlamort » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:43 am

Oh, I forgot that the Tindersticks used one. I think he just sang when I saw them, but it's been a while (1999, scenic Osnabrück, Germany).

I'm not sure if it's true for the earlier models, but the SFs with Guildsby always seem to have the aluminum bridge. The ones with a harp tailpiece (SFI / SFII / SFIV / SFXII) have wood.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:51 am

cestlamort wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:43 am
I'm not sure if it's true for the earlier models, but the SFs with Guildsby always seem to have the aluminum bridge. The ones with a harp tailpiece (SFI / SFII / SFIV / SFXII) have wood.
Interesting. A quick Google Images search seems to back this up.

* I need to get off this thread. It's putting stupid ideas in my head!
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:42 pm

PorkyPrimeCut wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:37 am
rbrcbr wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:15 pm
Maggieo wrote:

God, it's so beautiful. Looks like it was a good one....

Yeah, that would be the one for me (minus the aluminium bridge base - sorry, nitpicking - but Guild Bigsby FTW!!)

This is the one I almost pulled the trigger on.

They even have a decent soundclip.

It was almost perfect. A decent, solid but ugly body repair meant it was selling for a great price too.
FWIW, the aluminum bridge was one of the things I really loved about it. Don't dismiss it out of hand.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

rbrcbr
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rbrcbr » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:01 pm

Maggieo wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:42 pm

FWIW, the aluminum bridge was one of the things I really loved about it. Don't dismiss it out of hand.
What about it was it that you loved? That was one of the first things I noticed that I don't think I've ever seen on a floating bridge guitar.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:26 pm

rbrcbr wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:01 pm
Maggieo wrote:

What about it was it that you loved? That was one of the first things I noticed that I don't think I've ever seen on a floating bridge guitar.
It gave the guitar a twang that was a cool mix of woody and metallic. And it just plain worked well.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Debaser
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Debaser » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:22 pm

I’ve come to prefer aluminum bridges most of the time, and plan on using the Bigsby bridge base on a SF-V coming my way. I don’t think the base material matters as much as the bar material does, but it certainly looks ‘right’ to my eyes.
50,000 watts out of Mexico, this is the BorderRadio...

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:55 pm

Debaser wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:22 pm
I’ve come to prefer aluminum bridges most of the time, and plan on using the Bigsby bridge base on a SF-V coming my way. I don’t think the base material matters as much as the bar material does, but it certainly looks ‘right’ to my eyes.
That's the other thing- the Bigsby worked better with that aluminum bridge than any other.

wproffitt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wproffitt » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:38 pm

I’ve got an aluminum bridge on my Yamaha and love it! I affirm that this works on this kind of guitar!

rbrcbr
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rbrcbr » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:52 pm

Maggieo wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:26 pm
rbrcbr wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:01 pm
Maggieo wrote:

It gave the guitar a twang that was a cool mix of woody and metallic. And it just plain worked well.
Just realized the question was sort of phrased weird, as I have definitely had an aluminum bridge on a Gretsch previously, but the aluminum bridge base is what I was curious about/never seen before.

Finally got my hands on the one I was planning on checking out, and it's mine now. I know exactly what you mean by woody and metallic. Loving it so far. Look out for a NGD post here in a bit!

Thanks for all the help you guys!

Don B
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Don B » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:20 pm

I have a 2001 Starfire V and I believe that the Westerly Starfires are some of the true values still out there. You can get a Starfire II, III, IV or V for stupid money these days. They are impeccably made with some of the prettiest maple you are going to find. The one fly in the ointment can be which pickups are used. Until the early 90s, they used the Guild HB-1 which is a great humbucker. Beginning about '93-4 they went to the Seymour Duncan built SD-1 that was pretty close to their 59er. About 1998-9, they started to use a Fender designed humbucker which, just to confuse things, they called the HB-1. The Fender HB-1 is not as highly regarded as the Guild HB-1 or the SD-1 and is more of a generic humbucker. Some really like them and I was able to get some good tones out of them but replaced them with TV Jones Power'trons. Great pickups but they don't look like Guilds.

But the guitars are really well made and the necks are wider than the earlier Guilds. Another one you might look at is the X-170 which is a single cutaway with a 2.5" hollow body. I have one of those as well.

The only Newark Street model I have spent any time with was a Starfire III and I was really impressed. Fender/Guild really screwed up the mini humbuckers and ended up with an underpowered bridge pickup but everything else about it blew me away. If I had one, I would be very tempted to put either DeArmond Dynasonics in it or DeArmond 2000s, like the ones in the Gretsch 512x series, the Gretsch Historical series or the Guild X-160 Rockabilly. They are sometimes referred to as Dynasonic light. Nice pickups.

Debaser
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Debaser » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:34 am

Don B wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:20 pm
Fender/Guild really screwed up the mini humbuckers and ended up with an underpowered bridge pickup but everything else about it blew me away. If I had one, I would be very tempted to put either DeArmond Dynasonics in it or DeArmond 2000s, like the ones in the Gretsch 512x series, the Gretsch Historical series or the Guild X-160 Rockabilly. They are sometimes referred to as Dynasonic light. Nice pickups.
I don’t find the bridge underpowered at all, and if the bridge is wound with another wire gauge, it is pretty close to the neck in output. My ears say that much anyways. My issue is that the neck pickup is kinda muddy, but that’s mostly my personal preference. I want it to sound like a Filtertron not a mini HB. Thinking about having it rewound or replacing with an extra NS bridge pickup.
50,000 watts out of Mexico, this is the BorderRadio...