Forgot how much I love Teles, AKA Tele Appreciation Thread

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Re: Forgot how much I love Teles, AKA Tele Appreciation Thread

Post by Maggieo » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:15 am

“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

rbrcbr
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rbrcbr » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:50 pm

Danley wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:57 am
My two - The weirdo, and a '94 MiM 'Squier Series' :

I actually really like the pickups on the Squier Series- Kind of bugged it's not string-through though. The neck is excellent as well.

That weirdo is so cool.

I had a '94 MIM Squier Series Tele that I loved dearly. Got it for $60 from some random guy wanting to offload it. The pickups were good but of course I had to tinket with it. Put Lindy Fralins Blues specials and new wiring in it and it was better than ever. That neck was great - nice soft D shape, not too narrow but very easy to play. The top loading bridge was actually one of my favorite parts of it! You can't really get top loader teles stock anymore.

I actually loved that neck so much that I sold the body off and had MJT make me a double bound lake placid blue tele, no string through holes drilled. Put a Bigsby B5 on it, sperzel locking tuners, those Fralin pickups, Mastery m4.1 bridge, some really great Callaham hardware and Callaham parchment pickguard. One of the nicest guitars I've owned, I regret selling it so much. Still hoping to get that one back one day, the guy I sold it to has no plans to ever get rid of it though.

God I'd love to have that thing right about now.

Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Danley » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:52 pm

Thanks! I grabbed the Squier Series for something less than $200 on a one-day eBay auction and thought that was a decent deal :) It's tough to tell, but the Duplicolor finish I put on the Jazzcaster is quite checked and relic'd at this point, I'm thinking about a refinish in either yellowed LPB or solid non-metallic orange, with a comp. stripe.

Your old one looks great.
King Buzzo: I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pacafeliz » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:50 am

Got myself this MIJ hottie a couple days ago... most amazing neck!!! :-*

i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.

JoshuaTSP
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by JoshuaTSP » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:17 pm

Haven't seen much talk about the American Professional Offset Tele?

Debaser
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Debaser » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:11 am

Maggieo wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:41 pm
Debaser wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:23 am
I’ve been at this guitar thing for quite some time, but only in the past 5 years have I really understood Teles. Down to 3, and none are traditional :)

CC PUPs in a Thinline are a big win! I did the neck on my MIJ.

What a gorgeous collection of guitars. I love the one with the Dynasonic, just absolutely love it.
Why thank you! You have great taste in guitars as well--I saw your CC Thinline before. Routing that neck cavity and keeping it under the pickguard was no picnic. Still not sure what to do with it though, my Thinline is a revolving partsholder that never seems to click with me--but I do love the CCs. I'm waiting for the neck to cure for the Dynasonic Tele. Only a spare on it for now.
50,000 watts out of Mexico, this is the BorderRadio...

Scarabeus
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Scarabeus » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:04 am

nanamour
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by nanamour » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:40 pm

Here's my much loved Lake Placid Blue AV64. It almost went back to the shop when it first came to me earlier this year as I struggled a bit with the slightly bigger neck (I have really short fingers and my previous main instrument and current second chair guitar is a Hagstrom Viking with the most nanoputian neck I've ever had my hands on), but I found it slowing me down and playing quite differently (for the better). Though it isn't really evident in this less-than-stellar photo, the LPB has already greened considerably and has sunken into the wood to the point where the grain is really apparent in anything other than dead-on lighting. True to the mid-60s Teles it's modeled on, the 64 has all the treble one could ever want on tap on the bridge position, combined with a beautifully woody neck pickup; a combination that makes for a really finely balanced middle position. I have a 1968 bridge pickup in my desk drawer awaiting a rewind from Mr. Novak or Fralin as soon as I can muster the vanity scratch, hopefully that'll push this Tele into another realm entirely.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:06 pm

^^^

Really nice tele, I'd happily play it. Good Midori Takada and Phil Collins records too.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

torchindy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by torchindy » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:35 pm

Just got this American special in Sherwood.Green. Loving it so far and the color is amazing!

MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MechaBulletBill » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:54 am

nanamour wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:40 pm
Here's my much loved Lake Placid Blue AV64. It almost went back to the shop when it first came to me earlier this year as I struggled a bit with the slightly bigger neck (I have really short fingers and my previous main instrument and current second chair guitar is a Hagstrom Viking with the most nanoputian neck I've ever had my hands on), but I found it slowing me down and playing quite differently (for the better). Though it isn't really evident in this less-than-stellar photo, the LPB has already greened considerably and has sunken into the wood to the point where the grain is really apparent in anything other than dead-on lighting. True to the mid-60s Teles it's modeled on, the 64 has all the treble one could ever want on tap on the bridge position, combined with a beautifully woody neck pickup; a combination that makes for a really finely balanced middle position. I have a 1968 bridge pickup in my desk drawer awaiting a rewind from Mr. Novak or Fralin as soon as I can muster the vanity scratch, hopefully that'll push this Tele into another realm entirely.
I have smallish hands/short finger and find a lot of modern fender necks (even reissue stuff) uncomfortably wide with the ~43mm nut. Allparts necks feel better for me and the couple I've had are closer to 41mm at the nut and a touch slimmer in back profile.

nanamour
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by nanamour » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:46 am

shadowplay wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:06 pm
Really nice tele, I'd happily play it. Good Midori Takada and Phil Collins records too.
Thanks, it’s a keeper! Good spot on the Phil Collins record barely peeking out (my usual ‘now playing’ shelf is currently occupied by our pathetically tiny Christmas tree); I’d been after it for a few years now and Mrs. N managed to snag a copy that popped up on Discogs for reasonable $ for my birthday a couple weeks back. She’s a treasure.
MechaBulletBill wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:54 am
I have smallish hands/short finger and find a lot of modern fender necks (even reissue stuff) uncomfortably wide with the ~43mm nut. Allparts necks feel better for me and the couple I've had are closer to 41mm at the nut and a touch slimmer in back profile.
Yeah, those Allparts necks feel great with the slightly thinner nut width. I have one slated for my sloooow (practically static) Mory JM resto and have gone through a few on parts teles. I’ve really come around to the wider and thicker neck on this AV64 though, I find myself playing very different music on it than on my Viking, which helps with my self-justification for having two nice guitars. BTW, I measured the nut width on my Hagstrom and it’s a staggeringly puny 37mm!

Sauerkraut
Expat
Expat

Post by Sauerkraut » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:53 am

Just finished putting together my new partscaster Tele.

Before

An American Series Tele from 2004, all stock except for the Novak pickups and the pickguard:

After

I kept the neck, the control plate and the Novak bridge pickup (put the neck pup in my Bass VI).
Rexter finished an ash body in taos turquoise for me, I installed a vintage-style bridge and put a Lollar P90 in the neck.

I rewired it to sort of a Broadcaster wiring: no tone pot, but two 500k pots (I find P90 + 250k too dark), one volume knob and one blend knob to mix the P90 in with the bridge pickup in position 1. Position 3 adds a tone cap to the P90, which comes in handy when using an ebow (still have to source a .0033uf cap for that, .022 cuts out way too much treble)

Last edited by Sauerkraut on Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

MattK
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MattK » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:31 pm

YEAH

Off_Set_of_Mind
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Off_Set_of_Mind » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:21 pm

So much more motivation to skip my tele ahead of a few other projects on deck...