Joe B and his Offset ... Nokie-Caster

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
jvin248
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Joe B and his Offset ... Nokie-Caster

Post by jvin248 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:16 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... 0O3oLiPoWA

"I knew I owned that guitar for a reason ... I had it on the wall, forever on the wall, that's the Nokie-Caster.."

"1964 Fender Jazzmaster. Fender’s flagship model over the Telecaster and the Stratocaster. The Jazzmaster was made famous by the band The Ventures and is synonymous with surf music out of southern California. I bought this guitar in Columbus Ohio at a small shop. Love mom and pop shops!"

Last edited by jvin248 on Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Johno
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Joe B and his Offset ... Nokei-Caster

Post by Johno » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:46 pm

Proof, if it were needed that you can bend a string on 7.25 radius neck.
Nice Telecaster.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:38 pm

i wonder when the wave of comments calling joe bannanaramassafrassa a twat is coming.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:16 pm

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:38 pm
i wonder when the wave of comments calling joe bannanaramassafrassa a twat is coming.
I think it already happened the last time someone posted this video - a couple of months ago.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

countertext
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Joe B and his Offset ... Nokie-Caster

Post by countertext » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:25 pm

*Nokie

Does Bonermaster own one of Nokie’s ‘64 Jazzmasters? I’m not sure I understand.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:36 pm

Would it kill him to play the melody?

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:50 pm

marqueemoon wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:36 pm
Would it kill him to play the melody?
it's not the way of the blooze.

he's like the guru of the blooze lawyer. like he has reached a higher state of bloozedom
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

bdf83
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bdf83 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:13 am

Never really understood the hate he gets on here. He's a massive massive nerd with an incredible collection and he knows more about guitars than most while actually making a career out of playing them. He's effectively this place in human form.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:50 am

bdf83 wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:13 am
Never really understood the hate he gets on here. He's a massive massive nerd with an incredible collection and he knows more about guitars than most while actually making a career out of playing them. He's effectively this place in human form.
I think OSG generally appreciates music that incorporates more than the pentatonic scale. Joe is pretty much the TGP forum in human form.

I have nothing against the guy personally, but I overdosed on pentatonic white man blues rock by the age of 14 and moved on.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

bdf83
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bdf83 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:05 am

mbene085 wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:50 am
I think OSG generally appreciates music that incorporates more than the pentatonic scale. Joe is pretty much the TGP forum in human form.
I have nothing against the guy personally, but I overdosed on pentatonic white man blues rock by the age of 14 and moved on.
Maybe I've got a higher tolerance to it but I've never found him as offensive as others on here. He's always seemed fairly selfaware and unapologetic for being a massive weirdo

Ceylon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ceylon » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:22 am

Someone raised a good point about this in one of the music snobbery-threads. I think lots of people on here would want to be like Joe Bonamassa, in the sense that he makes a living (and lives quite well) playing music, seems to enjoy doing it and gets to hoard tons of nice vintage guitars and amplifiers, gets to have pickups custom made for him, has enough pull to get a signature Firebird made HIS way, gets to co-operate with a lot of other big musicians and so on, so forth. But then I also think that most people on these boards have either never been into white pentatonic blues, or have left it behind, and find it kinda daft, and so there's some frustration and annoyance that this guy gets to have all that playing music that's so daft! That people appreciate daft music so much, when there's so much good stuff out there going under-appreciated.

I myself wouldn't mind being, say, Ed Sheeran-levels of famous with all that comes with that, if I could get there doing my own thing. I have no doubt Ed Sheeran is a decent dude, although I think his music is quite shit. I'd never think a bad thought about Ed if radio stations and daft fans weren't pushing him into my face all the time. In comparison I think Justin Bieber both does bad music and is actually a twat in person, as far as I'm familiar with him, but I also would have never cared to care if he didn't get such massive exposure that I had to think about him one way or the other. And I think lots of this frustration with daft musicians who get popular comes from the dissonance we experience between how little we ourselves appreciate the stuff they do and how much others appreciate it.
Science Friction burns my fingers
Electricity still lingers

MKR
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MKR » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:05 am

I don't care for him or his music, but that playing in that video was pretty amazing.

jvin248
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jvin248 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:24 am

Ceylon wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:22 am
Someone raised a good point about this in one of the music snobbery-threads....
... there's some frustration and annoyance that this guy gets to have all that playing music that's so daft! That people appreciate daft music so much, when there's so much good stuff out there going under-appreciated.
... I think lots of this frustration with daft musicians who get popular comes from the dissonance we experience between how little we ourselves appreciate the stuff they do and how much others appreciate it.
In the fiction novel world, authors often split along this same divide. There are those writing 'literary masterpieces' that no one reads but are applauded in their tiny literary circles while waiting for validation of 'a book deal' (that comes with the frequency of 'a record deal') while 'popular authors' selling millions of copies are looked down on as pandering to the baser public wants.

Most of the time the majority of consumers just want entertainment, they want that beat they can dance to or at least hear through earbuds. Joe B gives those people entertainment and he makes some good cash in the process. He does seem to have fun at it which infuriates more classically inclined players -- because everyone knows that Art must be about pain and suffering.

PJazzmaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Location: Bo Diddley Technical Institute of Cryptozoology (European HQ)

Post by PJazzmaster » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:36 am

here is the thread from a few months back:

http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vie ... 1&t=109534

Ceylon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ceylon » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:37 am

jvin248 wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:24 am
In the fiction novel world, authors often split along this same divide. There are those writing 'literary masterpieces' that no one reads but are applauded in their tiny literary circles while waiting for validation of 'a book deal' (that comes with the frequency of 'a record deal') while 'popular authors' selling millions of copies are looked down on as pandering to the baser public wants.

Most of the time the majority of consumers just want entertainment, they want that beat they can dance to (or at least hear through their earbuds). Joe B gives those people entertainment and he makes some good cash in the process. He does seem to have fun at it which infuriates more classically inclined players.
Yeah, pretty much this. I'd wager there's not a whole lot of "serious" authors out there that have a lot of good things to say about Dan Brown or whatever. Second hand bookstores are as full of The Da Vinci Code as second hand record stores are full of Katrina and the Waves. But also music is shoved in your face in a way that literature often isn't, so it's harder to ignore or stay neutral to. I bet no one ever, on any forum or anywhere else, started a thread about how Dan Brown wrote his rough draft of Angels and Demons with a 2009 Mitsubishi Unipin 04-200 Black fineliner and then caught flak about Dan being a daft writer.

Good on Joe B. I don't think he sells himself short at all. He does what he loves and lives well doing it. Same thing with Dan Brown I'd wager. They may both not be my cup of tea, but that doesn't ever matter until someone tells me I should really check them out or otherwise shoves them down my throat.
Science Friction burns my fingers
Electricity still lingers