Pickup Foam

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
listening
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Pickup Foam

Post by listening » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:31 am

Does anyone know a source, or the brand, for the exact pickup foam Fender uses? They charge $7 for two strips, and I can't find that type of weatherstripping anywhere. I have a few different brands, but they look a bit different and are softer. I like the density of the Fender stuff, and it looks correct for restorations. I'm sure a roll, or sheet, is very inexpensive and it would last me forever. I've heard of people cutting up mousepads, and it appears to be the correct stuff. Unfortunately, I don't have any and haven't seen that type in years.

Thanks.

Musjagjazz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Pickup Foam

Post by Musjagjazz » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:02 am

Stew Mac has some - not sure if it is exact but has the self adhesive backing for both Jag & Jazzmaster:

Pickup Foam $1.19 - a lot cheaper than $7

https://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_Ele ... currency=D

Also have a new model with a bult in spring to control the pickup height but more expensive

https://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_Ele ... rings.html

listening
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by listening » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:28 am

That's pretty much the stuff I'm using now. I buy it in rolls. It's made by Frost King, M-D, and few other brands. They stock it at most hardware stores. This isn't the exact size, or hardness, but the rolls look like this. I usually buy it in 1/2" x 9/16".

Paul-T
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Paul-T » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:18 am

For those looking in the UK, I've been looking for some foam to raise the pickups on a MiJ JM that I'm sorting for a friend. There's a brilliant shop in London called Pentonville rubber; it's all they do, rubber and foam. Smells great too.

I wanted something that's definitely rubber, not PVC, and bought an offcut for a fiver which looks exactly right. Very different from UK weathersealing foam which is slightly shiny with bigger air pockets. This one is jet black with tiny air pockets.

I have probably a square foot spare, in two different thicknesses, which I will swap for what have you with folks in Europe. It's either 8mm or 14mm thick.

"classic marked down to 20 pence bargain bin fodder'