Colors of vintage Jazzmasters that came stock with tortoise guards

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Colors of vintage Jazzmasters that came stock with tortoise guards

Post by Embenny » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:33 pm

If there's one thing that makes me cringe, its duct tape on straps. There are a million solutions that work better, don't destroy the finish, and don't look like shit. But I guess it's less punk rock.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Supa-Stang
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Supa-Stang » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:11 pm

https://www.atbguitars.com/store/produc ... -65carjmg/

ATB guitars have a CAR with tort and gold hardware ???

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:25 pm

Supa-Stang wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:11 pm

The funny thing about guitars like this is that because they are not supposed to exist, it is hard to commit to buying them....having said that, there have been quite a few Fenders that were one-offs that have survived and surfaced through the years.

But let me play devil's advocate for a second, just for the sake of comedy...

Say that this guitar is all-original (maybe it is, maybe not, god knows), you buy it, have a great time playing it...and then one day you decide to sell it on as a private seller...try convincing the next guy to buy it...

These are modular guitars...what if back in the mid 80s when these cost almost nothing, I had a sunburst Jazzmaster and a Candy Apple Red '65 JM, and a really worn JM of some other colour with gold parts and I just swapped the original parts around to make something I thought was super-cool...a CAR JM with a tort guard and gold parts...? Not impossible...and as a possible buyer that's what I would most likely think..sure it is probably a one-off, but I would stay away from guitars like that :-/

The longer the tale the harder the sale, they say...they are probably right. :)
Resident Spartan.

bterry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bterry » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:38 pm

the chances of having tort on a custom color JM are way higher before late 1961 - as always, buyer beware :)

gringopig
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gringopig » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:22 pm

Supa-Stang wrote:

Aye, gold parts but no gold truss rod adjuster.

fendercollection
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fendercollection » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:30 pm

It's very difficult to prove that a guard is stock from the factory unless there is a lot of provenance or you're the first one to take it apart. I don't think a white vs. tort guard makes a difference in value on a post-goldguard custom color JM

fendercollection
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fendercollection » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:34 pm

lalalandstudios wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:23 pm
takeittothemall wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:08 pm
bterry wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:28 am
Yes, it’s a misconception that all Fender custom color JMs shipped with white guards post gold guard era.

In fact, many had tort - I’ve personally seen LPB, Black, Daphne Blue, Fiesta Red, Dakota Red, CAR (custom order paint jobs pre 1963) and Sherwood Green with tort. I’ve also seen Oly White and Sunburst JMs with white guards from that era - it is all possible and if you can think of a combo it probably happened :)

The one thing I have seen that is BS IMO is pics of a gold guard JM in mid 1962 - with a mix of early 1958 features and 1962 features - that’s a parts guitar ;)
Thanks, bterry! I really want the color that I refinish my new 59 to be era-correct with the tort guard. I had myself convinced that my only options were thus sunburst (which I wasn't going to do given that I already have a keeper 65 JM in sunburst) and olympic white (since its alder and not ash and therefore wouldn't be blonde). But now I have so many more options to consider. Still probably down to olympic white, shoreline gold, yellowed lake placid blue, and maybe a green.
Bterry is 100% spot on (as usual) on this description of all the possible permutations.

I know takeittothemall already has a Fiesta red guitar that he plans to keep but Fiesta with tort is mighty nice! I would also consider Sherwood Green which is pretty amazing with the right tort. There is definitely a 59 in Sherwood (with a mint guard and non matching HS) that was at Songbirds in Chattanooga. Gold could be interesting too. These are good decision problems to have - good luck painting that Craig's list score!
A good excuse to post a pic of that beauty :)

iainmayfield
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by iainmayfield » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:03 am

that duct tape holding on the straps things - why ? just why? I need to take a lie down after seeing that picture!

Squirrel
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Squirrel » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:21 am

Supa-Stang wrote:

Oh, that guy is sketchy as fuck. He's known for buying guitars with issues, swapping parts around and using very strategically worded descriptions to try and pass them off as all original.

Supa-Stang
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Supa-Stang » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:12 am

Squirrel wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:21 am
Supa-Stang wrote:

Oh, that guy is sketchy as fuck. He's known for buying guitars with issues, swapping parts around and using very strategically worded descriptions to try and pass them off as all original.

Really? I haven’t had an experience but he has also had or did have a gold hardware, blonde Jag that didn’t seem to sell. He gets a lot of coverage in the UK via Guitar magazine, and he seems to have done a few high profile deals such as the Brian Ray sunburst Les Paul (SG) Junior.

Not a lot of pictures and I can’t see whether it has the give away truss rod. Still a nice tort guard, and a good looker.

Squirrel
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Squirrel » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:28 am

Supa-Stang wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:12 am
Squirrel wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:21 am
Supa-Stang wrote:

Really? I haven’t had an experience but he has also had or did have a gold hardware, blonde Jag that didn’t seem to sell. He gets a lot of coverage in the UK via Guitar magazine, and he seems to have done a few high profile deals such as the Brian Ray sunburst Les Paul (SG) Junior.

Not a lot of pictures and I can’t see whether it has the give away truss rod. Still a nice tort guard, and a good looker.
I think there's a thread about that blonde Jag on here somewhere, if I'm thinking about the same guitar as you. I can't remember the exact story but I think he bought it from someone in America who stated that the gold hardware wasn't original, then he tried to pass it off as all-original. I know someone else on here also bought a guitar off him that turned out to have undisclosed finish issues, I think it was a '60s Jag or JM that had been oversprayed or something like that. He also had a late '60s Tele a while back which he strategically worded the description to make it sound like it was all original, but I know for a fact that at least one pickup and a bunch of other minor parts were replaced as I saw the original ebay listing that he'd bought it from. I saw him at a guitar show a few years ago and he just generally gave off the vibe of someone who'd sell you a car with sawdust in the radiator.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:49 pm

iainmayfield wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:03 am
that duct tape holding on the straps things - why ? just why? I need to take a lie down after seeing that picture!
That makes me crazy, too!!!
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

higgsblossom
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by higgsblossom » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:55 am

iainmayfield wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:03 am
You know, in Germany we use parts of beer bottles and they do the job just fine - the rubber part of flip-top closures. But we're German, we invented both beer and quality :w00t: ;)

PS: It's even on Wikipedia!
The rubber gaskets are used sometimes by guitarists as an improvised straplock.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flip-top ;D

Another PS: Fender even sell those! https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... cks-4-pack

My only explanation for the use of duct tape is a "I don't give a sh***" attitude towards your own gear...
"500€? That's the price of a J Mascis Jazzmaster!"

Tree's
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Tree's » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:36 am

gringopig wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:22 pm
Supa-Stang wrote:

Aye, gold parts but no gold truss rod adjuster.
Yep, bridge thimbles should be gold also. :-/

señormisterioso
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by señormisterioso » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:44 am

fendercollection wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:34 pm
lalalandstudios wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:23 pm
takeittothemall wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:08 pm

Thanks, bterry! I really want the color that I refinish my new 59 to be era-correct with the tort guard. I had myself convinced that my only options were thus sunburst (which I wasn't going to do given that I already have a keeper 65 JM in sunburst) and olympic white (since its alder and not ash and therefore wouldn't be blonde). But now I have so many more options to consider. Still probably down to olympic white, shoreline gold, yellowed lake placid blue, and maybe a green.
Bterry is 100% spot on (as usual) on this description of all the possible permutations.

I know takeittothemall already has a Fiesta red guitar that he plans to keep but Fiesta with tort is mighty nice! I would also consider Sherwood Green which is pretty amazing with the right tort. There is definitely a 59 in Sherwood (with a mint guard and non matching HS) that was at Songbirds in Chattanooga. Gold could be interesting too. These are good decision problems to have - good luck painting that Craig's list score!
A good excuse to post a pic of that beauty :)
- fendercollection
Is it the same one?:

Archeological reasons....