Very weird Jag 1963 switch set up

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Very weird Jag 1963 switch set up

Post by Embenny » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:07 am

It sounds like the switches for neck and bridge are working normally, and when they're on together, they're in parallel, which is also the way it should be.

I'll actually check my own jags to see what the resistance reads when you engage the strangle switch, but the fact that the tone thins out makes me think your strangle switch is likely working normally.

It sounds like the rhythm switch may have just been wired to bypass the rhythm tone and volume knobs, switching on the neck pickup but not engaging the separate circuit. This is a fairly common mod.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Guitarman555
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Guitarman555 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:46 am

mbene085 wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:07 am
It sounds like the switches for neck and bridge are working normally, and when they're on together, they're in parallel, which is also the way it should be.

I'll actually check my own jags to see what the resistance reads when you engage the strangle switch, but the fact that the tone thins out makes me think your strangle switch is likely working normally.

It sounds like the rhythm switch may have just been wired to bypass the rhythm tone and volume knobs, switching on the neck pickup but not engaging the separate circuit. This is a fairly common mod.
Thanks, please let me know as soon you check your Jag. What is weird that rythm switch is still connected to its rythm volume and tone knobs, but has exactly the same tone as neck pickup on lead circuit. If jag´s rythm circuit work same way as jazzy rythm circuit from pre-cbs, it should have its own dark colour of tone, not copy neck setting of lead circuit... What happend there, do you think?

Guitarman555
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Guitarman555 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:15 am

Guitarman555 wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:46 am
mbene085 wrote:

Thanks, please let me know as soon you check your Jag. What is weird that rythm switch is still connected to its rythm volume and tone knobs, but has exactly the same tone as neck pickup on lead circuit. If jag´s rythm circuit work same way as jazzy rythm circuit from pre-cbs, it should have its own dark colour of tone, not copy neck setting of lead circuit... What happend there, do you think?
Another unusual thing: the volume pot on the lead circuit does not work like on pre-cbs jazzys, while turning volume off, it should lose the low frequencies because of the capacitor, but color of the sound surprisingly does not change...or had it the jags differently, like this?

Guitarman555
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Guitarman555 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:48 pm

mbene085 wrote:

Hey, any news? Let me know, I posted more information here to discussion, your answers would be really very appreciated, many thanks!

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:46 pm

I think it's confirmed that it's wierd. ;)

If you want to know why, the next thing would be to open it up and trace the wiring and compare it to the standard circuit.

You could post pics here to confirm that some of the soldering / wiring is no longer vintage. Depending on what and how it's been done (eg is all vintage wire still there), it may be restorable to the standard circuit while still looking vintage, which would restore some value. But a skilled assessment would usually recognize non-vintage soldering compared to totally original work.
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

Guitarman555
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Guitarman555 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:54 am

timtam wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:46 pm
I think it's confirmed that it's wierd. ;)

If you want to know why, the next thing would be to open it up and trace the wiring and compare it to the standard circuit.

You could post pics here to confirm that some of the soldering / wiring is no longer vintage. Depending on what and how it's been done (eg is all vintage wire still there), it may be restorable to the standard circuit while still looking vintage, which would restore some value. But a skilled assessment would usually recognize non-vintage soldering compared to totally original work.
Hey, wiring is oribinal, the old wires, etc, the original cap at the tone control is there too. All the vintage wires at the rythm switch look like should be. But I didn´t measure though. The only measuremnt were done by the pickups, above.