“Oh yeah, that made me want to be a guitarist...”

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: “Oh yeah, that made me want to be a guitarist...”

Post by marqueemoon » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:06 pm

Jimi definitely made an impression on me early, but this shot of John Squier (in combination with the amazing guitar sounds and textures on the album of course) sealed the deal for me.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:54 am

for me, it's a tricky one because while my dad was big into music and an ex bass player. there was very few guitar players i thought "i wanna be like that" maybe it's why i played drums, keys and bass before i ever thought to pick up a guitar. to be fair. i think most of that comes from seeing the pre-mcr music channels like kerrang and scuzz. i'll give them one bit of praise, at least they used to play all kinds of stuff. i remember post-MCR you were lucky to see anything that wasnt MCR or on the fueled by ramen label..... saying that, i still like the first 2 MCR albums. however, when i think of all the music that was around during the pre-mcr tv, only one guy keeps coming to mind. i feel pretty embarrassed to say this.
grant nicholas from feeder. but let me explain. when i used to watch the pre-MCR music channels, there was a lot verity in the music videos shown. it's how i got into many bands i love today (reuben is a great example of that) but there was a lot of bad pop-punk and buttrock. when i seen live clips of feeder, grant seemed like just a normal guy who wasnt trying to be a larger than life rockstar or some kind of rebel. which was jarring but in a good way.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

X-Ray Spex
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by X-Ray Spex » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:37 am

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:54 am
for me, it's a tricky one because while my dad was big into music and an ex bass player. there was very few guitar players i thought "i wanna be like that" maybe it's why i played drums, keys and bass before i ever thought to pick up a guitar. to be fair. i think most of that comes from seeing the pre-mcr music channels like kerrang and scuzz. i'll give them one bit of praise, at least they used to play all kinds of stuff. i remember post-MCR you were lucky to see anything that wasnt MCR or on the fueled by ramen label..... saying that, i still like the first 2 MCR albums. however, when i think of all the music that was around during the pre-mcr tv, only one guy keeps coming to mind. i feel pretty embarrassed to say this.
grant nicholas from feeder. but let me explain. when i used to watch the pre-MCR music channels, there was a lot verity in the music videos shown. it's how i got into many bands i love today (reuben is a great example of that) but there was a lot of bad pop-punk and buttrock. when i seen live clips of feeder, grant seemed like just a normal guy who wasnt trying to be a larger than life rockstar or some kind of rebel. which was jarring but in a good way.
Plus the dude designed the Fenderbird which I've always thought was pretty rad, also the first two MCR records were great regardless of what the band's sound morphed into in later years.
''It's not what you play, it's what you play'' - Troy Van Leeuwen

countertext
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by countertext » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:06 am

^ What is MCR?

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:55 am

X-Ray Spex wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:37 am
s_mcsleazy wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:54 am
Plus the dude designed the Fenderbird which I've always thought was pretty rad, also the first two MCR records were great regardless of what the band's sound morphed into in later years.
i agree. the first 2 my chemical romance albums are actually amazing. the first album was basically an attempt to combine mid western emo with horrorpunk. the second album added more theatrics to it and turned it up to 11. i never liked black parade. it was basically like they were trying to cosplay as queen/pink floyd. danger days was better because im a sucker for pulp scifi but still didn't blow be away. weirdly the b-sides to danger days was actually better imho.

fun fact. i seen MCR 3 times. their first time hitting the uk before revenge came out. first uk tour after revenge and then the tour before black parade. it's strange how different the band was. the first 2 tours were like a typical underground punk show. the 3rd was this big theatrical nonsense with stage props and fog machines. felt like an entirely different band.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

MKR
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MKR » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:04 am

Roberts Smith's white jazzmaster did it for me.

My first guitar was a white squier strat and i wanted SO badly to get a red toroise pickguard for it, but being a teenager in the nineties i had no idea of how and where to get one.

jakeisjake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jakeisjake » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:07 am

countertext wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:27 pm
timtam wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:02 pm
If he made any impression on me, it would have been in his earlier incarnation, circa 1970 ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re3P8fvmsqE
WTF? Totally new to me. Wild.
right?

i thought it was going to be a clip of General Hospital
If I was a byrd, I'd be mighty sore every time they shut the door and I don't think I'd sing...

jakeisjake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jakeisjake » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:11 am

the "i want to play guitar" bug bit me when i was about 13 or 14...

i met an older girl (maybe 17 or so) who had an acoustic guitar. it was out in a park or something. she asked if we wanted to hear something...i asked if she knew any Grateful Dead. she busted out "Box of Rain" (which was not one of my GD faves)...and i was like...yeah...i want to do that.
If I was a byrd, I'd be mighty sore every time they shut the door and I don't think I'd sing...

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:45 am

The Beatles turned me onto pop music and it was the Talking Heads (with Adrian Belew) and Television that made me want to learn how to play guitar.

Later, it was all sorts of left-of-center players that kept me going.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

DrQuasar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DrQuasar » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:58 pm

When I saw this movie as a little kid. Then I found my mom's old guitars in the closet and that was that.

Zork
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Zork » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:10 pm

Watching TV one night and stumbling into Jean-Luc Godards One Plus One. The Stones recording Sympathy for the devil was the coolest thing I've ever seen.

TeenageShutdown!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by TeenageShutdown! » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:05 pm

The first music format I bought was Eric Clapton Unplugged on cassette back in grade 8. I bought it because of the cover, which in hind sight is odd because it’s a pretty generic cover. I also didn’t really know who he was either. After listening to that I wanted to play guitar. Over the years I’ve done a complete 180 & I’m not much of fan of his stuff aside from his Yardbirds stint.

optofonik
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by optofonik » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:09 pm

Rocket To Russia
Never Mind The Bollocks
Damned Damned Damned

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:54 am

As cliched as it may be I'm pretty sure it was the opening chords to House Of The Rising Sun. My mum played The Animals a fair bit when I was growing up.
As simple as that song is I still found it something of a hurdle as, from the get-go, I realised I wasn't much of a picker. I can remember trying to play it on my uncle's electric guitar & the feeling of frustration when I kept stumbling over my fingers. Shortly after that he emigrated to New Zealand & that kind of closed the book for a few years.

The turning point was seeing Neil Young playing an acoustic set that was screened on The Old Grey Whistle Test. I was utterly mesmerising by the sound of his voice & acoustic guitar (and fascinated by his guitar & harmonica discussion he had with the audience). Heart Of Gold and Don’t Let It Bring You Down made me desperate to pick up an acoustic & learn how to play them, after all, strumming suddenly looked so obvious & easy.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:01 am

countertext wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:27 pm
timtam wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:02 pm
If he made any impression on me, it would have been in his earlier incarnation, circa 1970 ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re3P8fvmsqE
WTF? Totally new to me. Wild.
...and, yeah, that was absolutely fucking brilliant! :w00t:

First time I've ever seen that footage too & I can see how it would inspire people to pick up a guitar. Glamtastic!!!
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.