Fender amp suggestions

Make it loud here.
User avatar
kalipigeon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1404
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:31 pm
Location: Little Rock, AR, USA, Earth
Contact:

Re: Fender amp suggestions

Post by kalipigeon » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:55 pm

Might be worth looking at some of the newer offerings. I have a Bassbreaker 15 that works quite well with a loud 5 piece punk band (i.e. it and a Marshall and Crate Blue Voodoo half stack). It wont do super clean at those volumes, but it's a good edge of breakup tone that pairs well with every pedal I've thrown at it. If you need more cleans, they've just announced the Bassbreaker 30, or even the 45 from the same line. They're a bit more Fender meets early Marshall, but they're all nice that I have tried.

User avatar
Robiwan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 103
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:00 pm

Re: Fender amp suggestions

Post by Robiwan » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:39 pm

Typical answer, but a deluxe reverb reissue will do just about anything you want pretty easily. I love mine. It can cover so much territory.

User avatar
marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 3092
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:37 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Fender amp suggestions

Post by marqueemoon » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:47 pm

What kind of music do you play and what do you want out of the amp?

For example are you looking for lots of clean headroom or do you want a little breakup even with no pedals on? Do you want spring reverb or do you get your reverb from a pedal (or play with none). Do you want modern features like channel switching, effect loop, etc...?

SadFuzz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 266
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:12 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Fender amp suggestions

Post by SadFuzz » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:52 am

I want an amp with versatile EQ, a good clear clean, bass response, and the ability to get distorted reasonably well without pedals.
In the band we're playing jangly/noisy indie punk stuff, Slint/Sonic Youth/Pavement kinda thing.
If everything is possible, why do anything? -J Mascis

User avatar
marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 3092
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:37 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Fender amp suggestions

Post by marqueemoon » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:50 am

SadFuzz wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:52 am
I want an amp with versatile EQ, a good clear clean, bass response, and the ability to get distorted reasonably well without pedals.
In the band we're playing jangly/noisy indie punk stuff, Slint/Sonic Youth/Pavement kinda thing.
Cool. I think you can get away with less power than you think. A Deluxe would probably be enough. My bandmate in the band I play bass in plays a vintage Mustang through a silverface Vibrolux and totally nails those sounds.

A 50 watt Bassman head would likely also do the trick and could be paired with a closed back cab if you want more thump.

I wouldn’t call the eq on any vintage style Fender amp “versatile”, but it should be close enough to get you those sounds, provided you’re not playing a shred machine or something.

If you can’t find something for your budget don’t settle. Just keep playing what you have and keep saving.

User avatar
s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 14969
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:30 am
Location: glasgow

Re: Fender amp suggestions

Post by s_mcsleazy » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:24 am

marqueemoon wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:50 am

A 50 watt Bassman head would likely also do the trick and could be paired with a closed back cab if you want more thump.

honestly. silverface bassmans are pretty rare in the uk. i have my 72 but i think in like 10 years of owning that, i've only ever seen like 4 others for sale in scotland.

i do think a fender hotrod deluxe probs sounds the best for him because it's kinda got that classic fender sound, it's well within his budget, it takes pedals well and it's incredibly usable.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

User avatar
marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 3092
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:37 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Fender amp suggestions

Post by marqueemoon » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:56 pm

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:24 am
marqueemoon wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:50 am

A 50 watt Bassman head would likely also do the trick and could be paired with a closed back cab if you want more thump.

honestly. silverface bassmans are pretty rare in the uk. i have my 72 but i think in like 10 years of owning that, i've only ever seen like 4 others for sale in scotland.

i do think a fender hotrod deluxe probs sounds the best for him because it's kinda got that classic fender sound, it's well within his budget, it takes pedals well and it's incredibly usable.
I'll take your word for it. Probably spendier when they do pop up in that case.

I personally hate the Hot Rod Deluxe. It's a try to be all things to all people and hit a price point amp. I'm one of those weirdos who likes two knob amps though, so that's where I'm coming from.

User avatar
s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 14969
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:30 am
Location: glasgow

Re: Fender amp suggestions

Post by s_mcsleazy » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:53 am

marqueemoon wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:56 pm


I'll take your word for it. Probably spendier when they do pop up in that case.

I personally hate the Hot Rod Deluxe. It's a try to be all things to all people and hit a price point amp. I'm one of those weirdos who likes two knob amps though, so that's where I'm coming from.
im not the biggest fan of them (i'm much like you, the simpler the amp, the harder it can be to mess up your sound) but i've never actually played a bad HRD. plus in the uk, they come up all the time. i've often said if someone gave me £2000 to go out and buy amps for a venue, i'd buy 3 HRD's, an ashdown solid state head and a 6x10 cab. not the most glamour filled rig but it would work fairly consistently for most things. plus when someone tells me their looking for a reliable, versitile, gig ready amp, the HRD is usually the first thing out my mouth.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

User avatar
Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1530
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:39 pm

Re: Fender amp suggestions

Post by Larsongs » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:05 am

600 Pounds is about $850 US.... That will get you into new Princeton Reverb territory.... And Used Deluxe Reverb territory... Either would be excellent choices for great Amps...

At least in the USA... Not sure about Europe...

L

User avatar
s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 14969
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:30 am
Location: glasgow

Re: Fender amp suggestions

Post by s_mcsleazy » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:11 am

Larsongs wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:05 am
600 Pounds is about $850 US.... That will get you into new Princeton Reverb territory.... And Used Deluxe Reverb territory... Either would be excellent choices for great Amps...

At least in the USA... Not sure about Europe...

L
nope. a 65ri is £1150
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

SadFuzz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 266
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:12 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Fender amp suggestions

Post by SadFuzz » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:19 am

Buying an amp new is way too much money over here
If everything is possible, why do anything? -J Mascis

User avatar
shoule79
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1625
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:57 am
Location: London....the one in Canada

Re: Fender amp suggestions

Post by shoule79 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:14 pm

A Hot Rod Deluxe would be a good amp to start with, and not too expensive. If I needed something loud, Fender and cheap that's what i'd go for.

I have a Mesa 5:50, it covers a lot of ground too. Its not Fender, but it can do a pretty good impression of one, and more. Mine was $800 CDN used, which is probably about 5-600 pounds.


Edit: I recommend the Mesa, but really only ever use it when I need 50 Watts or the headroom/bass response. I usually use my SFPR or Roland Jazz Chorus, or the Blues Jr. I leave at the practice space. Its still a good amp though.

User avatar
Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1530
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:39 pm

Re: Fender amp suggestions

Post by Larsongs » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:48 am

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:11 am
Larsongs wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:05 am
600 Pounds is about $850 US.... That will get you into new Princeton Reverb territory.... And Used Deluxe Reverb territory... Either would be excellent choices for great Amps...

At least in the USA... Not sure about Europe...

L
nope. a 65ri is £1150
1150 Pounds (aprox. $1400.00 US) for a Used one? That's more than they cost New in the USA...

Why not a good Used UK Vox Tube Amp. Like an AC15 with an Alnico Blue? How much are they in the UK?

User avatar
s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 14969
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:30 am
Location: glasgow

Re: Fender amp suggestions

Post by s_mcsleazy » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:17 am

Larsongs wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:48 am
s_mcsleazy wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:11 am
Larsongs wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:05 am
600 Pounds is about $850 US.... That will get you into new Princeton Reverb territory.... And Used Deluxe Reverb territory... Either would be excellent choices for great Amps...

At least in the USA... Not sure about Europe...

L
nope. a 65ri is £1150
1150 Pounds (aprox. $1400.00 US) for a Used one? That's more than they cost New in the USA...

Why not a good Used UK Vox Tube Amp. Like an AC15 with an Alnico Blue? How much are they in the UK?
used ones tend to be like £850. dunno what that is in us. i'm not sure what most vox ac15's go for anymore. i remember i nearly brought one for like £300 used a few years ago.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

User avatar
Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1530
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:39 pm

Re: Fender amp suggestions

Post by Larsongs » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:28 pm

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:17 am
Larsongs wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:48 am
s_mcsleazy wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:11 am


nope. a 65ri is £1150
1150 Pounds (aprox. $1400.00 US) for a Used one? That's more than they cost New in the USA...

Why not a good Used UK Vox Tube Amp. Like an AC15 with an Alnico Blue? How much are they in the UK?
used ones tend to be like £850. dunno what that is in us. i'm not sure what most vox ac15's go for anymore. i remember i nearly brought one for like £300 used a few years ago.
850 Pounds is about $1150.00 U.S. Dollars... You can buy a good Used all British built Vox AC15 for that? I'd jump on it! That's about half of what they go for here in the U.S.

Post Reply