Vintage fender jazz bass case question

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
jonathangolub
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Vintage fender jazz bass case question

Post by jonathangolub » Fri May 10, 2019 4:01 pm

I recently acquired what looks like a Fender '64-65 no logo bass case, but I can't be sure because it has no markings of any kind. The hardware, black tolex, and orange interior are identical to a '66 case I have. The only differences are (1) the little leather tab on the inner compartment is not the usual flower shape, more of a rounded diamond; (2) the case is much heavier than the '66 and a '70s case I have; and (3) there's a curved piece of foam in the corner, which I have seen in some Fender cases but usually not; (4) the inside edge when you open it is flat, compared with the '66 which has kind of a lip. You can see the details in the pictures linked below. I was going to sell it because it's so heavy, but if it's really a Fender case I'm going to hold onto it. Any case experts out there?

pictures: https://imgur.com/a/DSyS0Wo

PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Vintage fender jazz bass case question

Post by 46346 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:08 am

is there any evidence of the classic white double stitching along the end pieces? hard to tell if yours has eroded away or perhaps was never there. i believe it should have two rows of stitches. also, the handle on mine is stitched along the outer edge.

the corners seem a bit square, too. they should be rounded. hard for me to see clearly.

i think you're right about the lip, too. otherwise, pretty close!
Cat Museum, ACME, Malcolm Mooney, Dream Apes, The Cooling Time, Kind Hearts and Coronets, Quarks