Make it loud here.
i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Re: Got myself a blackface Princeton

Post by i love sharin foo » Thu May 23, 2019 4:34 pm

kosmonautmayhem wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 4:20 pm
Oh that looks (and probably sounds) so much better now!

With a more matched set of tunes you'll be in business. You should totally consider a bias pot replacing the ground switch. What are you checking bias with?
Thanks! I’m really happy with how it has turned out. I have a microphonic preamp tube and the rectifier is rattling, too. I need to try to retension the socket.

I have an Amp-Head Dual Bias Tester. It has never failed me yet! I have chart with it to cross reference plate voltage also.
The whispers cut like hard rain, Like sugar in a hurricane

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Sun May 26, 2019 4:45 pm

I jut finished up running both Princetons in stereo using both outputs on my Lovetone Wobulator. Running the blackface wide open, the 6G2 is only on about 4.5 to keep the volume output comparable between the two. But it works out pretty well. Even at 4.5, the 6G2 just needs hit with a bit of boost to build a lot of dirt. That same amount of boost does give some breakup to the AA964 also, but it gives it more thickness and body. They really do pair up beautifully. I can say without a doubt that the Lovetone Brown Source is the biggest surprise for me. It is incredible how great it sounds. You get more of everything. Both amps still sound like themselves, you just get more volume, extra thickness, more dynamics, more breakup.. just more of everything!

At this point, I realize the AA964 circuit is probably just not as loud as a 6G2 in genera. I think the heavier midrange of the 6G2 makes it seem louder versus the scooped mids of the blackface, but I feel like it can still benefit from a fresh recap and a tune up. It has had a partial job done about ten to fifteen years ago I would estimate by the look of the caps in there. However, the original cap can is still in place. So, I think it makes the most sense to just do everything again, for as little as it costs. I'll comb through the entire thing while I am in there, too. It sounds really nice now, so I think it will only get better.

I also tried the 6G2 with the Jensen P10R that I have in the blackface. I definitely did not care for it much with the 6G2. It seemed too flat and dull. I think the ceramic in there now suits it better. It helps brings out more of it's natural gain and overdrive when cranked up. I think I might sell the 50 watt Weber 10F150T that came with the blackface and buy the same one but in the 25 watt version.
The whispers cut like hard rain, Like sugar in a hurricane

Ursa Minor
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ursa Minor » Sun May 26, 2019 6:03 pm

That pair... :?

Interesting the volume difference between the AA964 and 6G2. Speakers likely have a ton to do with that for sure. There might be less gain, but I always thought the BF Princeton NR was pretty loud and clean all the way up. The brown does have that extra mid-range which gives it a real nice presence and a little more perceived volume. Definitely do a re-cap on the AA964. It'll only improve.

Cool to hear about running the Brown Source into these. I don't know much about them due to scarcity. I do, however, really dig my Klone and Honey Bee into both of my Princetons. I have a similar reaction of those pedals bringing out the best in the amps and being...just more of everything.

I am with you on ceramics in a 6G2. My old Weber has remained over many a speaker swap when I was experimenting. I had a year long affair with a 90s Eminence blue alnico in a '63 brown I owned. Man that speaker was perfect in that amp. Perfect to record with. My only gripe was that it was a little weak when things got loud. I eventually realized I couldn't do much better than the Weber. It does the whole range really well and is super broken in at this point. The only thing I want to try is an older champagne Oxford ceramic. :ph34r: One day I'll snag one.

In my PR I went from a used 50w 10F150 (< note the non-T cone) to a new 25w 10F150-T. The 50w was just too much. To heavy (literally), too clean (socially). That said, still sounded amazing so I knew I was on the right track. The 25w moves a lot more. And the T-cone with no dope was also just right for me. The whole thing sounds better. Sounded great brand new but has broken in nicely. I look at speakers from time to time and think about going down that rabbit hole - as StevenO and I have discussed ad naseum - but I'm very happy with these two and it may be just splitting hairs with anything else. Still fun to think about though - I mainly just tell myself this so I don't spend a small fortune on speakers! :D
The artist formerly known as kosmonautmayhem.