What’s your plectrum of choice?

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: What’s your plectrum of choice?

Post by øøøøøøø » Fri May 24, 2019 6:56 am

cestlamort wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 12:58 pm
krib wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 8:55 am

These since -95

I’ve used these since the 90s too. I like that the letters keep it from slipping. Mrs Ceslamort uses these for bass so it makes pick shopping easy.
I’ll sometimes use the next level thinner on a 12 string.
Just goes to show how personal this is...

those nylon picks are literally the only thing I WILL NOT use. I can't stand them!! There's always a rough edge around the perimeter that makes it impossible for me to get anything other than a shrill, scrapey sound.

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Fri May 24, 2019 10:51 am

øøøøøøø wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 6:56 am
cestlamort wrote:
krib wrote:

These since -95

I’ve used these since the 90s too. I like that the letters keep it from slipping. Mrs Ceslamort uses these for bass so it makes pick shopping easy.

those nylon picks are literally the only thing I WILL NOT use. I can't stand them!! There's always a rough edge around the perimeter that makes it impossible for me to get anything other than a shrill, scrapey sound.
You’re right again, Brad, about personal taste at least, because I have been using these since the 90s precisely for the rough edge and scrapey sound! Actually I usually hold them sideways to get the accentuated scrape from the dimples. Whenever I don’t want that I use my fingers or an e-Bow.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sun May 26, 2019 10:23 am

øøøøøøø wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 6:56 am
cestlamort wrote:
krib wrote:

These since -95

That's me, too. And they, for some reason, always feel weird between my fingers.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Wed May 29, 2019 3:52 pm

I started out on bass, and for the first year or 2 I used a pick. Then I actually learned how to really play (besides being a tuned bass drum) and mostly used my fingers and learned to slap (decently), and used a pick here and there. This has helped me develop a good finger style for guitar, and classical guitar as well.

Playing electric guitar, I always used whatever my friends had, since I was always playing their guitars because I didn’t own any. But now I usually prefer Dunlop Tortex, 1mm or a little thinner, otherwise I’m using my fingers.

For bass, when I’m not using my fingers, I use either a Cymbalic pick that I bought years ago that aren’t made anymore, that were made from cymbals, or I use a titanium pick that I’ve recently found, custom made by a guy in Germany.

I normally play Ibanez 5 string basses from the early/mid 2000s, and the metal picks give the bass sound a certain dirty grind that I really love, especially combined with Traynor and Hartke amps and aluminum speakers, along with other pedals.

I wouldn’t mind checking out the regular picks with better grips for guitar, I’ll have to order some and check them out. Picks can be a pain in the ass to hold on to/keep straight, especially the more you play.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Wed May 29, 2019 4:26 pm

Those nylons I have never been able to get along with well.

One of those comes with the Catalinbread RAH pedal, to complete the authentic Page sound of the time, but it stays in the box because I’m not sacrificing my playing ability for a certain sound.

I suck with those things for whatever reason. The grip is great, but I can’t get a string feel with them.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

Fiddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fiddy » Wed May 29, 2019 5:54 pm

I actually prefer to play with my fingers too.. :ph34r: :blush:

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Wed May 29, 2019 6:52 pm

Big fan of the scrapey nylon pick sound here. I want to be able to take people’s heads off if I really lay into the guitar.

MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MechaBulletBill » Thu May 30, 2019 8:00 am

simonhpieman wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 2:32 pm
The rehearsal studio I used to use had run out of yellows so I picked up a planet waves d'addario dooley in the same .73 thickness. It was a Cortex pick (marketing mumbo-jumbo has this as some kind of synthetic tortoise-shell substitute). They're a kind of 7-beers-last-night-piss beige colour. So much brighter, sturdier, lovelier sounding than the tortex. Slightly matte so grip is decent. Occasionally the odd one snaps after a few gigs but I usually blunt them and chuck them (or give them to slothenly students who can't remember their own picks) before that point. Generally they last a good 10-12 hours of heavy gig playing but I'm quite fussy about how much I'll accept them rounding off.

Weirdly, I've found there's a variation between what I assume are an old style (black writing) and newer style (white/silver writing) in that one is slightly better than the other. I've bought my last few batches off ebay so I don't actually know which version is oldest but it's interesting that there's a difference within the same "model". Maybe they switched up the recipe when they rebranded?

While I don't wish to further the torture of tortoises, I'd love to try a proper tort pick sometime.
I got a pack of those cortex plecs. They feel thicker than the tortex somehow (both say 1mm).

There is a japanese company that still sell real tortoiseshell plectrums. They ain't cheap and I don't think they're allowed to export them!

BTL
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BTL » Thu May 30, 2019 3:02 pm

After years of playing rhythm guitar and drums, I'm back to playing bass in a power-trio cover band project.

I was playing fingerstyle, but my guitar player gave me a Mick's Picks Uke-2 to try out, and I absolutely love it.

Anything to make the (re)learning curve just a little less steep.

:)
Owner, Lowe Custom Guitars