Fender Vintera line?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
alexpigment
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Fender Vintera line?

Post by alexpigment » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:14 pm

andy_tchp wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:12 pm
alexpigment wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:28 pm
Am I off base here?
Yes, you are. I absolutely don't want larger frets.

Radius I don't care about (or even notice after 10 seconds playing) provided I can get along with the overall width/profile.
Interesting. Any particular reason you prefer vintage frets? My experience with vintage frets is that they limit your bending, buzz more, and get grooves worn in them more easily. I understand that you may just be more used to them and that's what you prefer, but I figured I'd ask in case you had some insights about vintage frets that I hadn't considered.

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:34 am

RIORIO wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:41 pm
IBM Jazzmaster with matching headstock! And LPB Mustang! :w00t:
absolutely gorgeous! :-*

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:19 am

alexpigment wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:14 pm
Interesting. Any particular reason you prefer vintage frets? My experience with vintage frets is that they limit your bending, buzz more, and get grooves worn in them more easily. I understand that you may just be more used to them and that's what you prefer, but I figured I'd ask in case you had some insights about vintage frets that I hadn't considered.
I've never had any troubles bending, but I don't tend towards a super-low action.

The other two things you mentioned don't really make any sense?

The frets are either properly levelled+crowned or they aren't, the (lack of) height/profile of the frets doesn't make them 'buzz more'. Similarly why would smaller frets get grooves worn in them more easily? The only time I've ever had significant grooves/dents appear (beyond the usual wear patterns) was due to the strings being bashed (hard) against the frets when the instrument came into heavy contact with a mic stand. And yes I am anally retentive enough that I gave the offending guitar a fret level/recrown when I next had a spare hour to do so.

If anything I'd have thought the tendency for them to be a little flatter/wider means there's *less* concentrated pressure from the string wearing grooves in. It's not like 'vintage-style' frets are made of softer alloys.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

redchapterjubilee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by redchapterjubilee » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:28 am

Gonna go out on a limb and say that the Vintera appears to be a relabeling of the Classic 50s/60s/70s line or it's a weird lost in translation thing. There’s already an Olympic white C60s JM available and that’s also on the Vintera listing. Probably same mostly vintage specs.
Last edited by redchapterjubilee on Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mervynskidmore
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mervynskidmore » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:34 am

Still no affordable sherwood green guitars.

PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 601210 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:59 am

I wish Fender would get their lines straightened out.

Just do one for vintage reissues, one for standards, one for premium standards, and then seasonal random mishmashes like they like to do so much. Maybe if a mishmash gets popular they can move it into standards.

Over here we know all the ins and outs of Jazzmasters and Jaguars because there aren't that many anyways, but if you're trying to figure out which Tele or which Jazz Bass to buy with no prior knowledge it gets really annoying.

thenewromance
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thenewromance » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:13 am

redchapterjubilee wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:28 am
Gonna go out on a limb and say that the Vintera appears to be a relabeling of the Classic 50s/60s/70s line orbits a weird lost in translation thing. There’s already an Olympic white C60s JM available and that’s also on the Vintera listing. Probably same mostly vintage specs.
I stumbled over those guitars two days ago and thought it was some sort of mistake on Fender's website manager's part. They do get displayed for me in Germany, though. There's two "Vintera 60s" Jaguars with modern trem placement and splittable humbuckers and I believe 9.5" radius, in Surf Green and Sonic Blue with rosewood necks. I don't believe they'll be replacing a vintage-oriented line, because apart from their looks they seem to be geared toward the Vintage Modified/Modern Player direction.

Edit: ... and I just saw they're gone from the Fender website now. ::)

Stephen_42
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Stephen_42 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:35 am

Mervynskidmore wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:34 am
Still no affordable sherwood green guitars.
:'(

I think I need a Sherwood guitar (or bass) in my life. There is (or at least was, last time I checked) a 2nd hand American Special Tele in SG in a a shop near me that I'm considering.

alexpigment
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by alexpigment » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:08 am

andy_tchp wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:19 am
I've never had any troubles bending, but I don't tend towards a super-low action.

The other two things you mentioned don't really make any sense?

The frets are either properly levelled+crowned or they aren't, the (lack of) height/profile of the frets doesn't make them 'buzz more'. Similarly why would smaller frets get grooves worn in them more easily? The only time I've ever had significant grooves/dents appear (beyond the usual wear patterns) was due to the strings being bashed (hard) against the frets when the instrument came into heavy contact with a mic stand. And yes I am anally retentive enough that I gave the offending guitar a fret level/recrown when I next had a spare hour to do so.

If anything I'd have thought the tendency for them to be a little flatter/wider means there's *less* concentrated pressure from the string wearing grooves in. It's not like 'vintage-style' frets are made of softer alloys.
OK, I think your point of reference here is vintage vs jumbo (6100s). I was actually referring to medium jumbo and maybe 6150s. Both of those are wider but shorter than vintage frets. Also if you have high action, then you probably don't experience the buzz or bending issues. As for wearing more quickly, it's not that the metal actually wears more quickly or is made of inferior metal - it's just that when it does wear, the thin shape results in playability issues more quickly since the wear is concentrated to a thin area rather than spread across a wider fret. Anyway, I think your response kinda confirms that you dislike *tall* frets, and hey, there are a lot of people that don't like tall frets :)

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:19 am

andy_tchp wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:43 pm
countertext wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:36 pm
“Vintera”?

Someone explain that word.
Marketing bollocks.
Introducing the all-new Marlocks line! Blending all the existing features of the guitars we've been selling for decades with minor variations to arrive at a permutation that hasn't technically been sold OEM yet, but has been common on partscasters for decades!

Available in white, black, sunburst, and red.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

daysleeperjeff
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by daysleeperjeff » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:44 am

Who cares what they call it. All these names are irrelevant. Just a way to categorize.

The American Original name is such nonsense but they are absolutely incredible guitars so what the heck do I care.

SAVEStheDAY
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SAVEStheDAY » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:16 am

manwithtitties wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:22 pm
also looks like the guy that claimed that there was a squier toronado coming was right, the copyright has been renewed:
https://www.trademarkia.com/company-fen ... 5-page-1-2
Looks like some clues about upcoming pedals in there too:

Compugilist (The Pugilist is a distortion pedal, so some kind of compressor/distortion?)

Reflecting Pool (Delay/reverb?)

The Trapper (Overdrive/distortion?)

Smolder (Distortion?)

Jazztastic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jazztastic » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:45 am

No countoured mustangs from the looks of it :mellow:

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:55 am

alexpigment wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:08 am

OK, I think your point of reference here is vintage vs jumbo (6100s). I was actually referring to medium jumbo and maybe 6150s. Both of those are wider but shorter than vintage frets. Also if you have high action, then you probably don't experience the buzz or bending issues. As for wearing more quickly, it's not that the metal actually wears more quickly or is made of inferior metal - it's just that when it does wear, the thin shape results in playability issues more quickly since the wear is concentrated to a thin area rather than spread across a wider fret. Anyway, I think your response kinda confirms that you dislike *tall* frets, and hey, there are a lot of people that don't like tall frets :)
Rather than really justify what I like about vintage Fender necks specifically, I'll just say that I like everything about them. But, it's no accident, that's basically what a Fender always was, and that type of neck is why Fender became the worldwide success that it is today. They didn't have to make that kind of neck, they could have made something with a flatter radius and thicker fretwire, but they decided to offer something more original and different, and the world took to it in a big way.

That's because they are great necks.

There's a lot to like about them, but the fact is they just work well with my hands and my style of playing for whatever reason. And that's not an accident, they were designed to work well. Maybe it doesn't work as well for you for whatever reason, and that is what it is. But you need to understand that to all the many, many people who like the vintage Fender neck, it's not a compromise in the slightest way: it's all strength, it's all benefit.

I mean, the most expensive guitar ever sold was David Gilmour's black Strat, and that was a guy who knew how to play guitar pretty good, and he certainly could have afforded an American Standard Strat if he would have wanted that. He probably could have had it re-fretted, you know?

But the vintage Fender neck just works great, if it works great for you.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pacafeliz » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:08 am

OH FUCK, Fender/Squier JUST TAKE MY MONEY.
ALL OF IT!!!

(dat 60s Daphne Mustang) :-*
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.