How is your Squier VM Jaguar/Jazzmaster/Mustang holding up?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Dollywitch
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: How is your Squier VM Jaguar/Jazzmaster/Mustang holding up?

Post by Dollywitch » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:06 pm

Not sure if I used a shim on it, I did that with my Classic PLayer when I had one. I don't use my Jag as a shred guitar so I'm not too bothered about slightly high action.

A bigger issue for me is that the G-string is being troublesome intonation wise regardless of how I change the saddles. I think it could partly because I haven't changed the strings in yonks.

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:19 pm

I have a Jag that I traded an Epiphone Firebird for and the only blemishes it has are from tossing it around at shows - and even then there’s surprisingly little wear. The only stock parts are the body, neck, nut, and tuners - everything else is upgraded with premium parts and it plays/feels/looks as good as any actual Fender I may have played.

Really wish it was possible for them to just use less material when it comes to finishes. Make it the cheap poly stuff you use already, just maybe do a few less coats of color and clear alike so they can show some warts now and then. It’s funny that this was the exact opposite of what everybody wanted for so long, like if you were looking for a Strat and found two identical guitars where one had significant wear and the other didn’t, you could get a sharp discount on the more worn-in one, though people in the know recognized this as a sign that it’d been played a lot and that could definitely mean it was a better guitar. So eventually they start advertising the NEW THICK SKIN FINISH FOR THE RUGGED BAND OF JUGGALOS WHO BEED THEIR GEAR TO WITHSTAND THE FUCKIN ROAD and now that’s the opposite of what everybody wants. In 2030 hopefully the only guitars anybody actually wants to buy are Ibanez something or others and I can reap all the benefits. It just sucks that electricity will be a thing of the past at that point and I won’t be able to plug any of my new guitars in and actually hear them :/

tune_link
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tune_link » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:31 am

mcbrandt wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:52 am
I got my VMJM in the fall of '14, but I didn't play it, or any guitar, a whole lot until last year, though I started playing a lot more this year. I've swapped out the electronics, put in pure vintage '65 pickups, and a new nut. At this point I guess all that's left for me to do is the trem system and maybe the bridge? I figured at some point I'd buy a new top of the line American one, but at the same time, I don't know if I'd really need to or if it would be worth it once I'm done replacing all the lower quality parts of the Squier. The main gripes are the skunk stripe and the poly coat paint. I miss my MIJ for the thinner paint and neck.
I have a VMJM that I used as a "placeholder" body for building my American Original Jazzmaster. I bought all of the things I wanted on that guitar piecemeal and put them on the VMJM over the course of about 6 - 8 months, at the end I bought the body of the AO and transferred all the pieces over. Now I got a nice AO Jazzmaster that is pretty much brand new and I didn't have to pay $2000 for it and I also still have the VMJM that I put back together with its original pieces and it's also a pretty great guitar. Would 100% agree that my main gripes with the VMJM are the washed out looking Sonic Blue poly paint and the skunk stripe on the neck. Currently trying to decide whether to keep it anyway or sell it and put that cash towards some other gear. But it's been a good guitar and I got to where I like the pickups in it quite a bit.

Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Danley » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:16 am

What’s the issue with the skunk stripe - it existing?
King Buzzo: I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Rustan
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Rustan » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:01 am

Sq VM jaguar - boring.
Sq VM jazzmaster - fun!
Did the ugrades on both (shim, mustang bridge, new strings etc) but the jaguar remained a dull stratwannabe. But the jazzmaster grew up!
If I was to make the choice again today - JM. Only use it for surf so my perspective may be a bit narrow.

mcbrandt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mcbrandt » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:34 am

Danley wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:16 am
What’s the issue with the skunk stripe - it existing?
Ya. Looks gross in my opinion but obviously it doesn't affect playability or anything for me.

Smart idea about using the VMJM as a placeholder as you acquire all the AO parts. Easy way to keep it under the radar from the wife, too. Guess I should go ahead and start looking at USA trem pieces and slowly march that way!

Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Danley » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:42 am

The headstock truss hole bugs me more from a visual standpoint. IMO the VM offset guitars as a whole still ‘feel like Squiers’ even after upgrading hardware/pickups - not that I wouldn’t expect that, I think you get what you pay for and that’s fine.
King Buzzo: I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

aliendawg
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by aliendawg » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:23 am

Danley wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:42 am
The headstock truss hole bugs me more from a visual standpoint. IMO the VM offset guitars as a whole still ‘feel like Squiers’ even after upgrading hardware/pickups - not that I wouldn’t expect that, I think you get what you pay for and that’s fine.
I completely agree with you on the truss hole. But at the same time I don't think I would like a guitar without it because it's so practical

Maybe the "squier feel" is because of the overall glossy finish, which I also enjoy a lot.

One thing that bugs me is that the neck on my Jag is very thin, but I've read about thick ones on the same model
"With the resurgence of offsets it seems like we're also seeing a resurgence of people who don't know what to do with them" - 601210

smallerthings
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by smallerthings » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:29 am

I've had the VM JM for a few years.

Shimmed the neck, matched the headstock, staytrem bridge, buzzstop, 11's, and in the end I still don't love it.

I keep it around because it looks nice, but I rarely play it.

Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Danley » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:34 am

I prefer gloss finishes as well- but even gloss urethane has a less cold, hard feel than the straight-up Squier poly. Maybe someone will correct me and the Squiers are also urethane, but sure feels different to me. It’s not a huge complaint as mentioned as I *like* a durable, hard finish for actual use, but that, the thin body, and some rough edges on the neck pocket are perhaps what keep mine feeling ‘like a Squier’ (saying that, again, putting hard poly over soft basswood isn’t a recipe for a great looking finish ~20 years later - or fewer.)

aliendawg
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by aliendawg » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:44 am

It's definitely polyester!
"With the resurgence of offsets it seems like we're also seeing a resurgence of people who don't know what to do with them" - 601210

mcbrandt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mcbrandt » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:52 am

If I were to buy a japanese neck, would it fit in my squier body, and would i just have to adjust/buy new bridge for the radius change, or do i need a specific trem for the japanese neck?

aliendawg
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by aliendawg » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:21 pm

mcbrandt wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:52 am
If I were to buy a japanese neck, would it fit in my squier body, and would i just have to adjust/buy new bridge for the radius change, or do i need a specific trem for the japanese neck?
I don't know about the neck but you can use the stock tremolo unit and bridge without a problem. You'll just have to adjust the radius to your liking

Dollywitch
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dollywitch » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:59 am

Tbh part of the reason I got a Squier Jag is that I Didn't want a "good" Jag in a sense. I had a Classic Player before this and even that was a bit of a hassle, but I kind of wanted a Jag to be a punky noise maker as much as anything. I felt like the Squier had some of the more authentic retro doginess(i.e. the bridge, further back trem) that made it fun for that. That said I still don't like to fight a guitar, so I might take another look at it soon.

seenoevil II
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by seenoevil II » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:37 pm

Here's my guy. I've had it for over six years now. I bought it for sub $200 off this very forum back when they were $300 new. It came with a pretty big gash in the back (hence the low resale price). It also has a few QC issues. The sanding of the body contours is visibly off in places, and the wiring job is horrendous. The wire connecting the rhythm circuit to the three way switch is too short, and thus cuts across the top of the guitar under the pick guard, so the pick guard arches up in between the pups. For these reasons, I've never felt the need to pamper the guitar, and thus it's been thrashed pretty hard over the years.

Mostly though, it's just been worn out by constant gigging, noodling, carrying around the place, and being my main axe 24/7 for half a decade. It had one or two major incidents. One that cracked the neck, and another that snapped the pickup switch tip, punched the input jack in, and partially broke the trem socket (the trem works but the arm doesn't lock in, it dangles like a strat might).

When the neck snapped, it shattered the thick poly finish in a really rough way, so I took a razor blade and scraped the finish off. I then put some mineral oil on it and sanded the raised grain with 800 grit. I used to repeat this every six months or so, but I've decided to let it get really grimy. I highly recommend this finish for maple necks. As long as the timber is settled, it feels amazing and has been really stable though out the 4 very different seasons of the northeast US. You can also see where I had started the scraping with a bowey knife and the damn thing dug in :fp: .

Oh, and during one particular fit of pique, I doused the thing in red acrylic paint. I've been slowly removing it over years, but I actually like the way it's still worked into nooks and crannies. It's almost like an accent color. It works well with the bright red strap I normally have on it.

Sounds great, plays mostly well, the frets need leveling in the cowboy chord area, and there's a dead spot or two around the 12th fret (probably the shim's I've used may be creating a hump). The true rod works, but more so on one side than the other. This is no doubt because the neck is cracked along the truss rod channel.

The pickup covers have worn is a pleasing way. The problem is that the little screws for adjusting their height have stripped, so they're just kinda stuck as they are. It's really a pretty terrible way of attaching/ adjusting the height of pickups when you think about it.

I saw where the new VM's have nickel hardware. I'm a little butthurt over that, as I love the way that stuff ages. The bridge has gotten nice and gross as you can see though.

Honestly, it's always been a real dog of a guitar. The body isn't super resonant, it wasn't built that well, and the neck had geometry issues even before it snapped. But it's my only JM and the sound of a JM is really what I'm interested in, so it's been my faithful companion for nearly 7 years now.

Alas, I'm growing bored with JMs and their sound now. I've started pining for novelty. Thus, I think I'm gonna hang this one up for a bit. I'm definitely going to give it some love in the future. Upgrade the wiring harness/ pick guard (I love the pups though). Maybe I'll spray the body and headstock some funky metallic nitro hue down the road.

It's only got 5 strings on now because it's in Fripp's New Standard Tuning, and that high G was too much.

Sometimes I wish I hadn't abused it. Especially, as I can't really resell it now. Also, if I ever want a "nice" JM, I can't just upgrade this one, it's too busted in the timber for that.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy these gross mojo photos.
If it wasn't for disappointment, I wouldn't have any appointments.