Jazzmasters Mexican vs Japanese

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
jwlee
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Jazzmasters Mexican vs Japanese

Post by jwlee » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:34 am

So Fender released new Vintera line jazzmaster in IBM and it looks really good but here's the question.

Mexico vs Japan which one will be better?

Mexican is made of original specs (or same as AVRI specs) but it has Pau Ferro board which is somewhat different from original specs.

Japanese is made with slightly different specs than american IIRC, but it has rosewood board and more color options.

both have polyester and polyurethane finish.

For the price range, it is almost similar, so what will be better option?

X-Ray Spex
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Jazzmasters Mexican vs Japanese

Post by X-Ray Spex » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:40 am

jwlee wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:34 am
So Fender released new Vintera line jazzmaster in IBM and it looks really good but here's the question.

Mexico vs Japan which one will be better?

Mexican is made of original specs (or same as AVRI specs) but it has Pau Ferro board which is somewhat different from original specs.

Japanese is made with slightly different specs than american IIRC, but it has rosewood board and more color options.

both have polyester and polyurethane finish.

For the price range, it is almost similar, so what will be better option?
Depends which Japanese line you're talking about, the new Hybrid series Jazzmasters have great electronics and way more interesting colour options than the Vintera line IMHO.

Older/Regular CIJ and MIJ Japanese Jazzmasters get a lot of criticism for shoddy electronics and Strat pickups instead of actual Jazzmaster ones, but they're usually slightly cheaper than the high-end Mexican stuff and again have more interesting colours.

If it was up to me I'd go for a Japanese Hybrid Jazzmaster in their new Sherwood Green colour.
''It's not what you play, it's what you play'' - Troy Van Leeuwen

redchapterjubilee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by redchapterjubilee » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:08 am

You're getting a good guitar no matter what whether it's MIJ/CIJ or MIM. That said, I've played some bad Japanese JM's. My first Jazzmaster (a 93/94 MIJ) was always a difficult guitar to play and no matter of set-up could ever get that thing to feel nice. I had a 96 CAR JM that was the same. The Q series CIJ I had was a treat to play. The three MIM's I have run that gamut: The Classic 60s I have might be the easiest to play of all my Jazzmasters; the Roadworn JM feels pretty darn close to the '64 I used to have access to; the Standard...well, it doesn't feel as great and certainly feels more like a cheap guitar. Kinda like how I felt about the CP's and Blacktop JM's I've owned over the years. I still say the Classic 60s Jazzmaster was until this week the absolute best value for a Fender Jazzmaster. Now, I'd maybe hold out for that IBM Vintera JM (I will likely buy one next year).

jvin248
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jvin248 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:14 am

Go with the MIM. Too many variables on the MIJs (old/new).

I have several MIMs and they are all quite good.

Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Danley » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:58 am

I’ll avoid my usual speech and just say - it is extremely difficult to top an MIM Classic Lacquer. There are a lot of things I dislike about MIJ Jazzmasters, including quality of the hardware (trash bridges, vibratos) electronics (as-mentioned,) inaccurate body curves and cold, hard poly finishes (on most MIJs.)

When people talk about ‘stellar’ MIJ quality, they aren’t talking about the offsets - but somehow the early ‘80s MIJ JV reputation gets conflated with the sort of lackluster attitude they took, especially with later non-Strats. MIJ are also terribly over-priced, both new and in the used market.
King Buzzo: I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

tune_link
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tune_link » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:25 am

I have a CIJ Jag and Jazzmaster and a MIM Jaguar. I like all of them but if I'm being really honest the MIM Jag feels like a better quality guitar than the rest. My Japanese ones were gutted and had their wiring and pickups replaced by previous owners so I can't really comment on how they would have been in their original forms. One thing that is really irritating about the Japanese guitars though is that the specs for pickguards are different. Unless they've updated their template, finding a good replacement pickguard is almost impossible. You have to cut one to fit or custom order from Spitfire for example (and I think we all know how a Spitfire guard can be very cost prohibitive).

The pros and cons mentioned are similar to ones I'd be debating, hell I'm already eyeing one of those Ice Blue Metallic Jazzys with the matching headstock. Poly paint isn't a deal breaker for me and I have yet to own a Fender with a matching headstock so that's a hook for me. You get the right Pau Ferro (darker the better) and that is a thing of beauty. Then again Sherwood Green is a hell of a color......

mjet
Expat
Expat

Post by mjet » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:33 am

Fender needs to tweak some of the photography of (at least) the Olympic White Vintera Jazzmaster - the belly cut didn't turn out too well in the current photo. :whistle:

matthew a

Post by matthew a » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:33 am

I’ve said it a million times, but the pickups on my Japanese FSR 2016 JM were awful.

A setup, Creamery pickups & mastery bridge later and I rarely pick up my beloved Tele.

VIVIVI
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by VIVIVI » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:25 am

How are the necks on the MIM Classic 60s and Road Worn Jazzes compared to the CIJ/MIJ? I have two CIJs: a late 90s JM66 and a 2003 "Q". Both are very nice to play with amazing necks. I don't consider stock electronics an issue, since I usually replace everything anyway.

I really wish the Vintera had rosewood. I have a pau ferro board on another guitar and can't stand the look of it. It's ok to be shallow a bit :).

JSutter
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSutter » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:44 pm

I'd look for certain specs that I prefer in one over the other.

pikmin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pikmin » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:35 am

VIVIVI wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:25 am
How are the necks on the MIM Classic 60s and Road Worn Jazzes compared to the CIJ/MIJ? I have two CIJs: a late 90s JM66 and a 2003 "Q". Both are very nice to play with amazing necks. I don't consider stock electronics an issue, since I usually replace everything anyway.

I really wish the Vintera had rosewood. I have a pau ferro board on another guitar and can't stand the look of it. It's ok to be shallow a bit :).
I have a Classic 60s neck on my Jazzmaster and I also have a CIJ Jaguar and both necks are awesome .

Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Singlebladepickup » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:27 am

The Japanese hybrids have satin necks with natural looking finish, and come in Sherwood green. That makes Japan my pick.

matthew a

Post by matthew a » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:26 am

Never played a Mexican offset (left handed)

Japan necks I’ve owned:
JM - only full scale fender neck I’ve ever really enjoyed playing
KC Mustang neck x 2 - awesome, possibly the most comfy neck ever
Jaguar - awesome, nearly as good as above
80s Squier Strat - a bit chubby & chunky, felt like an uncomfortable Epiphone neck (maybe just me, but I’ve yet to get on with an epi- don’t feel slim at all on the 335 & 339)

Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Singlebladepickup » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:21 am

Never actually played a Japanese fender, come to think of it. My MIM Jaguar Player Series Bass will never leave me, I can't believe I got that thing for less than $600.