Preacher 2: the Tax Return

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
AWSchmit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Preacher 2: the Tax Return

Post by AWSchmit » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:44 am

I made a guitar about 2 years ago or so that I end up calling the Preacher (After trying to figure out a combo of Jazzmaster, Tele, and Les Paul, I found a word, when read that reminded me of Preacher, so I used that instead) Anyway, for that project click here: http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vie ... mit+mashup

When discussing plans for our tax return this year I was able to convince my wife that I needed to start yet another project and order a neck from Warmoth. After thinking long and hard about something I would like to make I settled on another preacher. This one will get a jazzmaster neck, vintage spec, boat neck contour. A mini SD bucker in the bridge and a humbucker sized single coil in the neck. The body is poplar with a hard, plain, maple cap. The finish will be a trans orangy red to black burst. Find current progress pics below.

The other projects are still going. Just wanted to finish throwing all the wood chips before starting on any more finish work.

AWS
Last edited by AWSchmit on Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
I finally finish building a guitar, go to play it, and then remember, "oh yeah, that's right. I suck at playing... Why did I build another guitar again?"

Cpe4spd
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Preacher 2: the Tax Return Project

Post by Cpe4spd » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:54 pm

Yes Sir. I do like where that is going. The color combo with gold hardware looks great! Can't wait to see it finished. 8)
Sit Back, Shut Up and Hold On!

AWSchmit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AWSchmit » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:23 am

Thanks. As for the hardware, everything will be chrome. The gold looking bit were photoshopped on, so I just used whatever I could find online that closely approximated what would eventually go on the guitar.
I finally finish building a guitar, go to play it, and then remember, "oh yeah, that's right. I suck at playing... Why did I build another guitar again?"

AWSchmit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AWSchmit » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:34 am

I still have more routing to do on my other projects before I want to start spraying clear (I use the same space for both), so this project's going to move a little slow. But here's a mock up with one of my unneeded decals laid on the head stock to make sure scale is good.

I think it's a winner.
AWS

Cpe4spd
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Cpe4spd » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:19 pm

Oh I like the gold hardware look on it. Even Smith in gold with black outline. It's a good looking guitar no matter what :P
Sit Back, Shut Up and Hold On!

AWSchmit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AWSchmit » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:54 am

Been super behind on updating this.

Got the body color done:

I used an small air brush for the burst to help me control it better. I used Acrylic airbrush paints by Createx.

I will be topping with Watco lacquer, same with the neck.
Speaking of which, I got sealer on it and the ceal applied:

I printed this deal on regular clear decal paper and then painted over it with a rose gold metallic, let dry and then covered that with another decal for the "Smith".

The bass project for my older step daughter and the mini Strat for my 3 year old are still moving too, just slowly. Once I get to the clearing stage on this project I should have the mini Strat pretty well done. I need to make a new body for the bass project though. the Redwood didn't pan out.

Later!

AWSchmit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AWSchmit » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:59 am

Also, I decided to try out a super cheap set of humbucker for this project.
I bought one of these in white for a Squier Cyclone with a dead bridge pickup:

Mainly just to get it back up and running, and I am very pleased with the sound, so I bought two more in zebra for this Preacher 2. I bought a neck pickup for the squier and in turn bought two neck pickups for this project as well. I don;t like hot pickups. So I will test them and put the hottest one (if there is one) in the bridge and the cooler one in the neck. Find the pick up here if interested:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Alnico-5-Humbu ... 0290.m3507

Amon 7.L
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Amon 7.L » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:05 am

That burst came out pretty fusking good.
I'm a sucker for the look of a double bound body that sports the burst on the sides... Awesome job, man, awesome job.

AWSchmit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AWSchmit » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:33 pm

Amon 7.L wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:05 am
That burst came out pretty fusking good.
I'm a sucker for the look of a double bound body that sports the burst on the sides... Awesome job, man, awesome job.
Yeah. The burst on the side was the whole reason for doing this finish... I love it. But that's not binding though. It's just taped off natural wood color. Thank you for the kind words!

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:47 pm

That’s actually better in my book. I feel like there’s a little Harmony/Silvertone DNA in there.

Fiddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fiddy » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:08 pm

Good job on the burst.

Rgand
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Rgand » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:21 am

Your burst is great! Just the right amount of black to accent the orange/yellow.

AWSchmit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AWSchmit » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:09 am

marqueemoon wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:47 pm
That’s actually better in my book. I feel like there’s a little Harmony/Silvertone DNA in there.
Funny you say that. I took some inspiration from my Harmony Stratotone. It's more red though, which I was going to do, but once I saw the 3 tone burst, I couldn't make myself cover more of the yellow middle section. So it stayed that way.

Thanks to everyone for the nice comments.. I hope to start putting on some clear soon. Being married with children and a house turn two month projects into year-long projects, minimum.

AWSchmit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AWSchmit » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:16 am

I need a little wiring help. If you know how to do this, or know of a schematic that already explains it, please leave a reply. Thanks in advance!

This is what I plan on using for this project:

2 humbuckers with 4 conductor leads
stand tele control plate
Volume and tone knobs
A Standard 5 way blade switch, like you would find in a strat (it's what I have)

Here's what I would like to be able to do, if possible:

Switch in position 1 (all the way toward the bridge.): Full bridge humbucker
position 2: Full bridge humbucker and full neck humbucker
position 3: Full neck humbucker
position 4: whatever it has to be to make position 5 work
position 5: single split coil from neck humbucker.

Is this possible without buying a super switch? I ask because I am not interested in buying or wiring a super switch. I would just use the switch as a regular 3 way switch with full humbuckers only and a dead signal on position 5 before doing anything different. I also don;t want to add any extra switched or pull knobs. If it's not possible, it's not possible..

I've also toyed with the idea of wiring it where the neck humbucker is never in series mode, but rather both coils wired to the switch as if they were two single coils... So if this won't work, I may just do that instead.

Matt_A
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Preacher 2: the Tax Return Project (wiring advice needed)

Post by Matt_A » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:32 pm

Are you aware of these switches?
https://www.freewayswitch.com/products/
gives you a six position that looks like the classic 3-way.

I know you're not looking for *more* options in the switching, but with six you could coil-split each of the humbuckers.... or something else...