Princeton lovers - I need your help!

Make it loud here.
tdbajus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Princeton lovers - I need your help!

Post by tdbajus » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:31 am

Be sure that you check out the equally excellent Deluxe Reverb reissues as well.

In my humble opinion, Princetons sound really ratty and nasty with distortion (unless you cut/reduce the negative feed back, in which case it sounds like a 5E3 deluxe with a blackface EQ. I have done this with my princeton).

Deluxes and their long-tail phase inverters, to my ears, sound much better with medium/high gain. The tremolo isn't as awesome, though.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:51 pm

tdbajus wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:31 am
Be sure that you check out the equally excellent Deluxe Reverb reissues as well.

In my humble opinion, Princetons sound really ratty and nasty with distortion (unless you cut/reduce the negative feed back, in which case it sounds like a 5E3 deluxe with a blackface EQ. I have done this with my princeton).

Deluxes and their long-tail phase inverters, to my ears, sound much better with medium/high gain. The tremolo isn't as awesome, though.
Totally agree.... Though the PRRI's are much easier to lug around.....

rbrcbr
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rbrcbr » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:16 pm

Thanks for all the input everyone. Handtruck is on the list of things to grab as well.
Larsongs wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:51 pm
tdbajus wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:31 am

Totally agree.... Though the PRRI's are much easier to lug around.....
As for the deluxe - idk what it is but I never quite got on with them too well. Also bigger to lug around, as mentioned. Maybe if I find the right one.

Someone offered a '64 blackface Princeton (non reverb) to trade for my Super. I told him to take it to the local shop to get checked out for a clean bill of health but he mentioned it was cutting in and out (which is probably part of why he was willing to do a straight trade). That and the lack of reverb were enough to make him consider it, but I've got a Strymon Flint I can use for that, so we'll see what happens. Fingers crossed, as this would be perfect for my situation. :D