Fender Lacquer Models- how do they look now?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Dan_Q
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Fender Lacquer Models- how do they look now?

Post by Dan_Q » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:29 am

Hi all,

With the introduction of the fender vintera series, I can’t help but think if I want a classic series lacquer model, now is the time.

Are there any forum folk who would like to share how the finish of their lacquer model has aged over the time you’ve had it? I understand it depends how the instrument has been used and treated etc, I’m just intrigued. I’ve only seen / played one second hand one, that just developed lots of little chips around the edge of the finish.

I know it would be off topic- but feel free to share your strat / tele / bass etc if that’s what you have.

Cheers in advance 8)

Steadyriot.
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Fender Lacquer Models- how do they look now?

Post by Steadyriot. » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:12 am

I don't have pictures currently (I guess I could take some if you want).
But my Classic 60's Lacquer Jaguar has just a few dings and chips here and there, no checking yet.
There's a lot of buckle rash on the back, but not as much that it goes through the finish.
To me the top coat feels slightly rubbery; it's not as hard as the lacquer on my Johnny Marr Jaguar (which has chipped a lot), so maybe it's got a little more give in the wear department.
Under the pickguard (last time I checked) I couldn't really see any fading either.
Seems like a pretty durable finish to me.
"If someone duetted with a Bald Eagle, they could rule the Country charts from here to eternity." ~shadowplay

Dan_Q
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dan_Q » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:51 am

Interesting, cheers for the response :)
Nope don’t go out of your way for the pics, only if anyone has them to hand- the description is enough for me to paint a picture 8)
I did pick up my very first jazzmaster (I had issues with the neck on my parts master and got impatient) in the fender lacquer finish, but it is only a month or so in use. I’d describe mine as “sticky” too when compared to a poly finish, but I like that.
Maybe the marr has a different finish with it being a US model? I have a hwy one tele with a hard satin finish, and it chips like crazy!

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:55 pm

I have a 2015 '50s Telecaster in white blonde lacquer. It is definitely softer than modern Fender poly finishes and most other lacquers that I've used. It doesn't feel as hard as an AVRI for comparison. Strangely enough, it reminds me a lot of my old Fenders with original finishes ('64 & '65 Jags, '64 Jazzmaster). The vintage stuff is always somewhat soft. It gets little dings somewhat easily and also scratches much more readily than poly. It also reacts with Couch straps like a champ :D (from before I owned it). The edge where my arm rests and where the back edge of the body contacts my leg when sitting is actually wearing pretty thin. You can see the difference in color in those areas. I don't think it will be too long until it wears to the wood :-* I'm wearing through the back corner of the body right by the neck plate where my hand rubs when playing up the neck. With the one piece maple neck, I am anxiously awaiting seeing wear through the finish on the fingerboard edges, which is where I think it will appear first. I think that won't be too long, but wear on the fingerboard itself will still take a few million hours of play time, I figure :D I've only owned this guitar for about a month, but I have a shit ton of play time on it already. I don't believe the original owner used it a whole lot. Road Worn and Relic stuff can be cool, but at this point, I am more interested into letting it happen by itself. I'm glad to have a guitar which I am not babying. One that I just lean up in the corner of my living room and grab it when I want to :) I'll try to drop an update here as they develop, hehe.
The whispers cut like hard rain, Like sugar in a hurricane

Dan_Q
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dan_Q » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:33 pm

that's so cool man! cheers for the insight, interesting read :) keep us posted on how it develops! 8)

It's not helping me hold off the GAS tho! :blush:

scottydanger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by scottydanger » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:43 pm

I have a 2004ish Highway one p bass that has aged BEAUTIFULLY. I know it’s not an offset but I’ll try to get some pics later so you can see the sort of wear that happened over 15 years of moderate, responsible use but also involved a punk band or two haha

jasonpetzold
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jasonpetzold » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:00 pm

This thread needs some pics!

aliendawg
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by aliendawg » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:40 pm

Some pics in this thread: http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vie ... p?t=103038

Couldn't find much else here though... Come, guys. What good is a guitar if you don't post pictures of it online?

An interesting one: Image
"With the resurgence of offsets it seems like we're also seeing a resurgence of people who don't know what to do with them" - 601210

Mervynskidmore
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mervynskidmore » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:21 pm

I'm thinking of picking up a classic series 60s strat in fiesta Red lacquer as they'll probably be discontinued with the vintera line. Never had a lacquer guitar before, is it worth the extra money?

Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Danley » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:24 pm

IMO the Lacquer models' other features are the real reasons they're a good value (construction, spec. , feel etc.) - But yes, the lacquer finish does make a difference in the feel of the guitar in your hands; although if I'm totally honest I hate the way lacquer wears down quickly/with little effort. Still - it's a definite upgrade to me, and makes a guitar feel less like plastic.
King Buzzo: I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

SummerLeftMe
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SummerLeftMe » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:59 pm

I have had the 60th anniversary model in daphne blue. It's a lacquer finish and this is how it looks after a year of owning it.

Though I really like this guitar, the finish really bothers me.
The finish even covered the binding and it was a hideous shade of yellow so I scraped it all off down to the white plastic.
It started to yellow just after one month of owning it!! Has anyone else had that happen with this guitar?
My American Jags with nitro finishes never reacted this way.

Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Danley » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:07 pm

^It's alarming how similar that looks to my (refinished, ReRanch) Daphne '66 Mustang, twelve or so years in.
King Buzzo: I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

parry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by parry » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:39 am

Different strokes... but I would pay more for a finish if I knew it aged/yellowed that quickly and beautifully 8)

Poor Fender though, hahahahahaha...
People who don't want that are buying those guitars - people who do, are buying the ones that don't age...
:fp:
Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity.

Downsideup11
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Downsideup11 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:50 am

I've had my 60's lacquer Jag for over 3 1/2 years and it's showing no obvious wear or fading. It has a few dings where I've inadvertently bashed it against something but it's holding up really well. For the whole time I've had the guitar it's been my only electric as well so it's had a fair bit of use...

Dan_Q
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dan_Q » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:50 am

interesting replies all- so we have some examples which are years in, which are well used and have no wear, and others which are already changing colour after a matter of months! 8)

I have to say I really like the way the daphne one is maturing- infact I'd even go as far as to say I may have been tempted to get a blue one instead of the red one I have if I'd known! I hope you can grow to like it over time :)

Keep the examples coming if you have the time to share. I'll take some of my tele soon, I can't account for most of the wear as it was second hand- but I do remember noticing there were visibly more chips after just one jam! :wacko: and I hardly throw the thing around ;D