New Aluminium Neck Jazzmaster Day

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
redshirt87
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: New Aluminium Neck Jazzmaster Day

Post by redshirt87 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:52 am

X-Ray Spex wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:13 am
redshirt87 wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:56 am
X-Ray Spex wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:07 am

Cheers! I was on the fence for a while about it but I'm glad I went there in the end. Cool, what're your plans for it?
I'm part of the next batch of Robot Graves necks. I plan to put it on my SQJMJM, which has had all the Mascis taken out of it. Once I swap the neck the only original thing on it will be the strap buttons. :D
Oh cool, what's the neck thickness like on the Robot Graves stuff? I've had hands on experience with Kramers, Travis Beans, and now EGC but I haven't had a chance to check them out. What have you replaced all the Mascis stuff with?
Alex (RGI) included the specs in the order email he sent me (I'm getting the flat finish 8)). I took a screenshot:

As for my JM, it was stripped and repainted in milk paint by the previous owner-there might be a thread about it. The pickguard is Tone-Guard black anodized Al. Electronics are Sunday (Timbo) Big n Little pickups, CTS 250K vol, Switchcraft 3-way and jack, and a Tesi IDO stutter switch. The hardtail plate is from Faction. Tuners are Hipshot Griplock.

I sold the Staytrem and emailed them about getting a custom 12 radius. Shortly after they ceased US sales :wtf: :fp:. I'm still weighing my options. The staytrem is my favorite bridge ever :( :fp:.
"Over time, I've realized that the comforts I most prized will all clean my bones and circle like flies" -The Arrivals, The Ballad of Lon Stokes

X-Ray Spex
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by X-Ray Spex » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:01 am

redshirt87 wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:52 am
X-Ray Spex wrote:
redshirt87 wrote:

I'm part of the next batch of Robot Graves necks. I plan to put it on my SQJMJM, which has had all the Mascis taken out of it. Once I swap the neck the only original thing on it will be the strap buttons. :D
Oh cool, what's the neck thickness like on the Robot Graves stuff? I've had hands on experience with Kramers, Travis Beans, and now EGC but I haven't had a chance to check them out. What have you replaced all the Mascis stuff with?
Alex (RGI) included the specs in the order email he sent me (I'm getting the flat finish 8)). I took a screenshot:

As for my JM, it was stripped and repainted in milk paint by the previous owner-there might be a thread about it. The pickguard is Tone-Guard black anodized Al. Electronics are Sunday (Timbo) Big n Little pickups, CTS 250K vol, Switchcraft 3-way and jack, and a Tesi IDO stutter switch. The hardtail plate is from Faction. Tuners are Hipshot Griplock.

I sold the Staytrem and emailed them about getting a custom 12 radius. Shortly after they ceased US sales :wtf: :fp:. I'm still weighing my options. The staytrem is my favorite bridge ever :( :fp:.
That's going to be kickass, love the one gigantic volume knob :D Ah that's a bummer, however as it's a 12'' radius there's a lot more aftermarket options open to you, try some of them out if you can't get a Staytrem, especially as you're just going hardtail anyway.
''It's not what you play, it's what you play'' - Troy Van Leeuwen

lammy
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by lammy » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:17 am

Magnetic pickguard! That’s so cool.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:03 pm

If you want a 12" radius bridge, you can do a roller saddle TOM. There are even adapter posts to put a TOM in a JM thimble these days.

Normally the problem with rollers is that the radius is 12". That wouldn't be an issue for you.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

X-Ray Spex
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by X-Ray Spex » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:16 am

lammy wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:17 am
Magnetic pickguard! That’s so cool.
Cheers, I was either going to put the battery box or a killswitch up there but I'm glad I went for the battery box, I really really love the easy access ;)

X-Ray Spex
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by X-Ray Spex » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:49 am

redshirt87 wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:52 am
X-Ray Spex wrote:
redshirt87 wrote:

Old thread bump, did you ever get this one put together?

redshirt87
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by redshirt87 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:59 am

X-Ray Spex wrote:
Old thread bump, did you ever get this one put together?
It's still a work in progress. I've been busy all year. I'm trying to get it the way I want it while also improving my guitar repair skills. It's getting there.

I got good deals on a ABM-2400 bridge and a set of EGC JM500 pickups. I widened the vol hole to put in an arcade button to use as a stutter switch. I plan to replace the hardtail plate with a vibrato.

The wiring is my big problem right now. I want four switching options: bridge, neck, both in parallel, and both in series. Shadoweclipse13 made me a schematic with a standard 3-way switch and push/pull vol to put the pickups in series. I screwed up somewhere because the pickup levels are drastically different (normal neck, barely-there bridge in parallel and vice-versa). Also, my 3-way switch crackles and pops now. Other than all that, I realized I don't like making sure I'm switched to the middle before engaging series. It lacks fluidity, for me anyway.

I bought a new switch and got a different schematic for the push/pull pot, where, when pulled up I automatically get both in series regardless of what position the switch is in. If I get it right and I still don't like it, I'll use a standard vol pot and try a rotary switch.

Other than that, the nut needs to be filed . I'd like to do it myself, but those files are expensive and the task itself is a little intimidating. I might end up taking it to the shop for that.

"Over time, I've realized that the comforts I most prized will all clean my bones and circle like flies" -The Arrivals, The Ballad of Lon Stokes

alexpigment
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by alexpigment » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:33 am

I'm glad this thread got bumped, because that split pickguard idea is actually really useful! I've been toying with the idea of adding a Fernandes Sustainer to one of my JMs for quite a while, but the idea of where to place the battery has always been the thing that kept me from doing it. (I don't own a router nor do I have experience with one anyway, and I don't like the idea of routing out a hole in the first place.) Cutting the pickguard for easy access at the rhythm circuit cavity is kinda perfect!

X-Ray Spex
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by X-Ray Spex » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:10 am

I'm glad this thread got bumped, because that split pickguard idea is actually really useful! I've been toying with the idea of adding a Fernandes Sustainer to one of my JMs for quite a while, but the idea of where to place the battery has always been the thing that kept me from doing it. (I don't own a router nor do I have experience with one anyway, and I don't like the idea of routing out a hole in the first place.) Cutting the pickguard for easy access at the rhythm circuit cavity is kinda perfect!

Glad I could be of help, let the thread know how you get on.

It's still a work in progress. I've been busy all year. I'm trying to get it the way I want it while also improving my guitar repair skills. It's getting there.

I got good deals on a ABM-2400 bridge and a set of EGC JM500 pickups. I widened the vol hole to put in an arcade button to use as a stutter switch. I plan to replace the hardtail plate with a vibrato.

The wiring is my big problem right now. I want four switching options: bridge, neck, both in parallel, and both in series. Shadoweclipse13 made me a schematic with a standard 3-way switch and push/pull vol to put the pickups in series. I screwed up somewhere because the pickup levels are drastically different (normal neck, barely-there bridge in parallel and vice-versa). Also, my 3-way switch crackles and pops now. Other than all that, I realized I don't like making sure I'm switched to the middle before engaging series. It lacks fluidity, for me anyway.

I bought a new switch and got a different schematic for the push/pull pot, where, when pulled up I automatically get both in series regardless of what position the switch is in. If I get it right and I still don't like it, I'll use a standard vol pot and try a rotary switch.

Other than that, the nut needs to be filed . I'd like to do it myself, but those files are expensive and the task itself is a little intimidating. I might end up taking it to the shop for that.
That's looking sweet, update the thread when you get it completed. I know nothing about wiring so I'm not much help there I'm afraid, the most complex wiring on any of my guitars is a 3-Way toggle switch :D

X-Ray Spex
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by X-Ray Spex » Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:18 am

Updated with some better pictures from when it was built, still totally in love with this thing.

mediocreplayer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mediocreplayer » Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:27 am

This neck looks like magic, but how heavy is it? :unsure:

X-Ray Spex
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by X-Ray Spex » Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:32 am

mediocreplayer wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:27 am
This neck looks like magic, but how heavy is it? :unsure:
Not heavy at all, the entire guitar weighs around 9 1/2 pounds. It's lighter than a lot of Les Pauls ;)